JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
yea, i know that i can open carry and the cops in this area are respectful, i dont think they would make an issue out of it. maybe its just me but i just dont have any desire to carry my handgun. i dont feel it likely that there will be any situation where a gun is the only defensive solution around here but i am a small guy and just my fists will not likely do the trick, even against a single attacker.

I am not so much small, as I am uncoordinated. I had polio and my left side does not work all that well, though I am not so bad I need a wheel chair like one of my cousins. However: that lack of coordination is exactly why I OC. I have no desire to use my carry, and I also do not have an desire to be picked on (like I was in grade school and middle school when I lived in Seaside years ago), so I carry. It works for me, and has worked for me for 43 years now.

yea, i know that i can open carry and the cops in this area are respectful, i dont think they would make an issue out of it. maybe its just me but i just dont have any desire to carry my handgun. i dont feel it likely that there will be any situation where a gun is the only defensive solution around here but i am a small guy and just my fists will not likely do the trick, even against a single attacker.

A gun will really be your only option, as you are not designed for physical combat.

stomper, do you know where i could get a cheap baton?

I just got one from the local "chinese junk shop" called "Wheeler-Dealer" in Woodburn. Unless you're an LEO you don't need to spend $30-$100 on one. I think I spent $20 on mine, and I could seriously frick a dude up with it, if needed.

Tell you what (if you want) PM me your mailing address and I'll just pick up another one and send it to you gratis. It's my turn in the "Karma Breach" anyway. ;)

A gun will really be your only option, as you are not designed for physical combat.

I dunno,there are some cage fighting 140# guys I would shoot before I fought them.
Remember kevinkris,once you decide to use a weapon like the knuckle or a baton,which ,if used right can be deadly,you are giving the bad guy a reason to SHOOT YOU.
If you pull a baton on me,you could see some muzzle flash. I do not want to be hit in the head with one.
Same with the brass knuckles. Pop a fool in the temple with them and face murder charges just like a gun.

Which brings us back to just carrying.
Some don't put much into You tube for education,but go watch some street fights on there. They all like to kick you in the head when they have you down now. Maybe some stomping too.
Unless I have a very large advantage,street fighting will be my very last resort.
And I ain't a little guy either

Learn jiu jitsu, I know little guys that can take out bigger foes, and you probably won't even hurt an attacker, multiple assailants not so effective. Learn to run fast.

I just got one from the local "chinese junk shop" called "Wheeler-Dealer" in Woodburn. Unless you're an LEO you don't need to spend $30-$100 on one. I think I spent $20 on mine, and I could seriously frick a dude up with it, if needed.

Tell you what (if you want) PM me your mailing address and I'll just pick up another one and send it to you gratis. It's my turn in the "Karma Breach" anyway. ;)

i think i like this guy! :s0155:

With that mentality you might end up as the deceased rather than they.
Even kung fu masters with knuckle dusters cant stop a bullet.
Equal or greater force on force is what stops a threat. Being able to think that you can one on one brawl with 2-3 thugs seeking to harm you is asinine.
Young thugs and gangsters are weak cowardly pack animals and will attack when they feel they have the upper hand and they will attack in numbers. The illusion one can fight back single handedly even with quick karate chop action agaisnt 2-3 (usually armed) assailers is painted by dojos and other "alternative defense method" schools to lure those unfamiliar or ignorant into enrolment. Sure, they can be useful but they take more credit for theyre effectiveness & themselves than they're actually worth.

I guess pseudo confidence is an ascertainable emotion via ones monthly payments. However, in the real world no senario ever plays out the way we're taught or the way we plan.

First hand experience encountering trouble seeking thugs in Hillsboro/Beaverton on more than one occasion. A phone with dispatch on a programed hot key and a pistol do wonders compared to brass knuckles. No one died in either incident BUT they did get hauled off.
If anything, fireams are a force equalizer as well as a nonescalationetory tool and can thus defuse a situation when the aggressors see they cannot win.

Only an attacker desperate or foolhardy enough to further escalate the attack winds up dead, and honestly, that fate was his no matter what. Be it delt by you or another victim.

In martial arts schools in the US, since at least the '80s, what is taught is primarily "tournament rules" rather than combat skills. Those who learned it as "combat zen" were deadly efficient killers with anything, or nothing. Today, because of insurance requirements (and tournament fighting), students learn safety/competition rules that would get them killed.

Anyway, the empty-hand arts, when properly practiced and employed, are tools in your self-defense toolbox: Guns, knives, tazers, joint-control/breaking, etc. for defense are just as much tools as are hammers, screwdrivers, and drill motors for home projects.

The mind is the only weapon, all else are tools. Use the right tool for the situation at hand.

When I was in Highschool my Sensei gave me some good advice that I remember to this day - his first peice of advice was - be careful how you say things - ie... prick yopur finger - or finger your $^&(k - as a youing man I rememberd that profoundly. The second peice of advice he gave me - if you think your going to get a in a fight going down a dark alley then dont go down that dark alley. This last peice of advice is not always possible to be followed but is a very good rule to try and follow. If you dont go down that dark alley - hopefully you wontt need a baton, a knife of a pistol. Insurance how ever is always good.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads