JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
ive been having trouble finding reliable information on whether or not brass knuckles are legal in Oregon, on top of that if it is legal to keep it concealed. i ask because im not a big fan of carrying a handgun but i would like to have a weapon to defend myself with, without having to fatally stab someone.

i realize this isnt really firearm related other than the fact that it is a deadly weapon but i wasnt really sure of any other place to ask about it.

Brass knuckles would fall under this statute.
166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
***** (2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005, whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section.

166.240 Carrying of concealed weapons. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.

Not illegal to possess, just to carry concealed.

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) of this section, any person who carries concealed upon the person any knife having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, any dirk, dagger, ice pick, slungshot, metal knuckles, or any similar instrument by the use of which injury could be inflicted upon the person or property of any other person, commits a Class B misdemeanor.
(2) Nothing in subsection (1) of this section applies to any peace officer as defined in ORS 133.005 (Definitions for ORS 133.005 to 133.400 and 133.410 to 133.450), whose duty it is to serve process or make arrests. Justice courts have concurrent jurisdiction to try any person charged with violating any of the provisions of subsection (1) of this section. [Amended by 1977 c.454 §1; 1985 c.543 §2; 1989 c.839 §21; 1999 c.1040 §15]

Legal to own, not legal to carry concealed...getcha a nice gold chain to wear it on!

okay, thanks guys. was just hoping to find some sort of weapon i could use defensively that doesnt require killing someone or coming close to killing someone to end the situation. i suppose ill just keep carrying my leatherman as a tool, god forbid ill have to use it as an improvised hand weight. :s0155: anyone know of a good place to get a leather fist wrap or is that something you cant get around here? that shouldnt be illegal considering its more for protecting your hand.

still kinda silly that its not legal to carry a blunt weapon i guess.

carry a baseball bat slung over your shoulder with a mitt slid over the grip.

i grew up in a crack neighborhood and that very same thing kept those scumbags off my candy money several times, also kept the bigger kids from smacking me around. was always the little guy and im only 140 lbs now, hence the reason im seeking out a less lethal equalizer. i just dont see myself carrying a bat anymore though.

user a role of nickels or quarters (depending on hand size)

Lol!, the only problem I always had with fist packs, was the fact that if you used one you would likely end up with a very broken hand. But I guess a broken had is better than the alternative if being attacked.

I took American Kempo as a kid, went to 3rd brown but wasn't 18 so I couldn't get black. Then I added the Marine Corps fighting, as well as Army combatives.

Don't care how old you are, if you are able, go take a self defense course. Learn to fight and use your own body as a weapon. No need for anything else, if you learn the right technique.

okay, thanks guys. was just hoping to find some sort of weapon i could use defensively that doesnt require killing someone or coming close to killing someone to end the situation. i suppose ill just keep carrying my leatherman as a tool, god forbid ill have to use it as an improvised hand weight. :s0155: anyone know of a good place to get a leather fist wrap or is that something you cant get around here? that shouldnt be illegal considering its more for protecting your hand.

still kinda silly that its not legal to carry a blunt weapon i guess.
With that mentality you might end up as the deceased rather than they.
Even kung fu masters with knuckle dusters cant stop a bullet.
Equal or greater force on force is what stops a threat. Being able to think that you can one on one brawl with 2-3 thugs seeking to harm you is asinine.
Young thugs and gangsters are weak cowardly pack animals and will attack when they feel they have the upper hand and they will attack in numbers. The illusion one can fight back single handedly even with quick karate chop action agaisnt 2-3 (usually armed) assailers is painted by dojos and other "alternative defense method" schools to lure those unfamiliar or ignorant into enrolment. Sure, they can be useful but they take more credit for theyre effectiveness & themselves than they're actually worth.

I guess pseudo confidence is an ascertainable emotion via ones monthly payments. However, in the real world no senario ever plays out the way we're taught or the way we plan.

First hand experience encountering trouble seeking thugs in Hillsboro/Beaverton on more than one occasion. A phone with dispatch on a programed hot key and a pistol do wonders compared to brass knuckles. No one died in either incident BUT they did get hauled off.
If anything, fireams are a force equalizer as well as a nonescalationetory tool and can thus defuse a situation when the aggressors see they cannot win.

Only an attacker desperate or foolhardy enough to further escalate the attack winds up dead, and honestly, that fate was his no matter what. Be it delt by you or another victim.

I almost always carry a telescoping baton in a leather sheath on my belt next to the spare mag sheath of my CCW so that I have the option of "less lethal" means when it would be too risky/inapproriate to discharge a firearm. I think its a better option than knuckle dusters because its not as "close in", that's what my "clip it' tanto-bladed knife is for if it gets that bad. I don't intent to bloody my knuckles on anyone if I can help it.

The best part is the collapsable baton (when sheathed) looks like a plain ol' mini-mag flashlight, gets nary a glance (especially in my work clothes), and isn't considered "concealed" that way. I also wear it on my belt in formal, semi-formal, business casual, and casual dress situations. Of course I lock it up if/when I go into screened security areas like the new FBI facility by PDX (or the back halls of PDX), or a courthouse. (to work on their HVAC, chillers and/or boiler systems... LOL)

I have never looked to see if CHL holders are exempted from concealing knuckle-dusters, etc. like they are from local ordinaces and open carry restrictions.

I have never looked to see if CHL holders are exempted from concealing knuckle-dusters, etc. like they are from local ordinaces and open carry restrictions.
Found out that Kentucky has a concealed WEAPON permit. You can carry almost anything you like (except Class 3 firearms) with one. Now that is a better permit than just a concealed handgun/pistol permit (although having no permit necessary for anything is more Constitutional and preferable).

With that mentality you might end up as the deceased rather than they.
Even kung fu masters with knuckle dusters cant stop a bullet.
Equal or greater force on force is what stops a threat. Being able to think that you can one on one brawl with 2-3 thugs seeking to harm you is asinine.
Young thugs and gangsters are weak cowardly pack animals and will attack when they feel they have the upper hand and they will attack in numbers. The illusion one can fight back single handedly even with quick karate chop action agaisnt 2-3 (usually armed) assailers is painted by dojos and other "alternative defense method" schools to lure those unfamiliar or ignorant into enrolment. Sure, they can be useful but they take more credit for theyre effectiveness & themselves than they're actually worth.

I guess pseudo confidence is an ascertainable emotion via ones monthly payments. However, in the real world no senario ever plays out the way we're taught or the way we plan.

First hand experience encountering trouble seeking thugs in Hillsboro/Beaverton on more than one occasion. A phone with dispatch on a programed hot key and a pistol do wonders compared to brass knuckles. No one died in either incident BUT they did get hauled off.
If anything, fireams are a force equalizer as well as a nonescalationetory tool and can thus defuse a situation when the aggressors see they cannot win.

Only an attacker desperate or foolhardy enough to further escalate the attack winds up dead, and honestly, that fate was his no matter what. Be it delt by you or another victim.

youre not wrong but i do live in aloha and most of my time is spent near home. this isnt a terrible neighborhood but carrying a weapon is still prudent. i have grown up in bad neighborhoods and have used brass knuckles in the past and they work. the way i see it, if a person comes up to me with a pistol drawn i wont be able to draw my own without getting shot, if they come out unarmed(and bigger) or with some other form of close weapon i can draw it out. being as i am a former recreation youth boxer i am more comfortable with a punching action as opposed to any other type of weapon other than a handgun but i keep my gun at home and im really not looking for a reason to carry it. just to note that i have fought off multiple attackers using just brass knuckles, on 3 different occasions.

speeddemon, yes hand weights can and will break your hand while using them, not a big fan of it but they do still work.

stomper, do you know where i could get a cheap baton?

youre not wrong but i do live in aloha and most of my time is spent near home. this isnt a terrible neighborhood but carrying a weapon is still prudent. i have grown up in bad neighborhoods and have used brass knuckles in the past and they work. the way i see it, if a person comes up to me with a pistol drawn i wont be able to draw my own without getting shot, if they come out unarmed(and bigger) or with some other form of close weapon i can draw it out. being as i am a former recreation youth boxer i am more comfortable with a punching action as opposed to any other type of weapon other than a handgun but i keep my gun at home and im really not looking for a reason to carry it. just to note that i have fought off multiple attackers using just brass knuckles, on 3 different occasions.

speeddemon, yes hand weights can and will break your hand while using them, not a big fan of it but they do still work.

stomper, do you know where i could get a cheap baton?

The best, and least likely to be used, is an OPENLY CARRIED pistol, in a holster, on your hip (ORS 166.250(3)). No license required, You do need a license to have it loaded in Multnomah Co, Portland, Beverton, Tigard, Independence, Oregon City, Salem, Astoria and Lincoln City. You may have it loaded, without any license anywhere else in OR. If you have a license to carry a concealed weapon you can carry it loaded even in the restricted local government jurisdictions. As Aloha is in Washington County, and does not have any restrictions, unlicensed open carry is 100% legal.

Why OPEN CARRY? You are tell everyone that would do you harm that you are able to defend yourself. kind of like an adult version of the baseball bat (can be just as deadly as a firearm). The bad guys do not mess with someone that could hurt them. That is just the way it is.

yea, i know that i can open carry and the cops in this area are respectful, i dont think they would make an issue out of it. maybe its just me but i just dont have any desire to carry my handgun. i dont feel it likely that there will be any situation where a gun is the only defensive solution around here but i am a small guy and just my fists will not likely do the trick, even against a single attacker.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top