JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just punch "Oregon Bottle Deposit Increase" into your search engine for endless information.

Basically, redemption rates for beverage containers has dropped below 80% for 2 consecutive years, thereby triggering the increase. As some of you know, most stores will take your containers back, as well as dedicated redemption centers. The rate will go from 5 cents to 10 cents each.

Just think about this for a second.....

Oregon instituted the bottle bill in 1972 as a way to reduce litter. Mission accomplished, until now, when it seems to be more hassle than anything else to redeem your cans and bottles.

Personally, I return my cans/bottles and use the money for ammo, silver, etc, etc.

Rather than doing the intelligent thing, and eliminate the bottle bill and have citizens place empty containers in the curbside recycling bins (like a large number do now already), Oregon decides to double the deposit. The first state to raise a redemption rate.

Some of the positive effects of the forthcoming increase:

More money for charities that collect and redeem the containers.

Less litter, higher redemption rates--at least initially.

Garbage/curbside recycle drivers will make more $$$ on the side.

Some of the negative effects:

This will increase the number of homeless people around the state, as there will be more money to be made redeeming containers for the money.

Theft of containers from personal property.

More purchases of soda with food stamps, soda emptied so cans/bottles can be returned for deposit money to buy alcohol, cigarettes, etc..... I have seen this multiple times.

So, I will end this by saying, get ready to pay more tax, er deposit on your favorite beverages on April 1, 2017

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I quite redeeming bottles last year. Every time I went to the store either the machines didn't work or there were people in lines with shopping carts full of bottles. Not worth my time just to get back a buck or two that I had to spend in the store that day.

This year I quit drinking soft drinks so I don't care if they increase the deposit to a buck:eek:

I don't buy/consume that much pop in that many containers. Five per week right now - one can of orange crush type pop per day, bought in bulk, at work. Those cans get recycled in the recycle bin at work.

But that is changing; now I am going to buy the multi-liter bottle as it is half the cost per ounce. So one multi-liter bottle every couple of weeks, and I think I will reuse those as they make decent containers for other stuff.

I haven't returned bottles and cans for years.

We fill up a bag and when my father in law comes by he takes the bag and replaces it with an empty.

Still not worth my time if it's $.25. But I'll stock up from now until it's $.10... I'll double my money.

I don't buy/consume that much pop in that many containers. Five per week right now - one can of orange crush type pop per day, bought in bulk, at work. Those cans get recycled in the recycle bin at work.

But that is changing; now I am going to buy the multi-liter bottle as it is half the cost per ounce. So one multi-liter bottle every couple of weeks, and I think I will reuse those as they make decent containers for other stuff.
You like your orange crush do you? So do I.

Wifey and I drink beer from cans....Bottled water and some soda. We don't even bother with stores filthy stinking mess, surrounding machines that are slow and don't work half the time. We're lucky enough to have Bottle Drop right in line with a run to Bimart and Winco. If you build up a fair amount in a Bottle Drop account you can get 20% extra up to $100.00 out of a machine in chit form to use as payment at a bunch of Fred Meyer's stores in Oregon. That's $5.00 extra added to a $20.00!

My sister-in-law manages a Safeway and last year or so, some guy came up with a way to scam the bottle/can machines.
He cut the bar code off an aluminum can and put double stick tape to the back and stuck it on the machines roller.
Then all he had to do is stick his hand in the machine to trigger it into motion and it would read the same bar code over and over. He had a route that covered several Safeways.
She didn't catch the scam for awhile, as the guy was pretty good at keeping his totals down per day, but he finally got greedy and started to raise his limits and that triggered an audit of the machines.

Last Edited:
I haven't returned bottles and cans for years.

We fill up a bag and when my father in law comes by he takes the bag and replaces it with an empty.

Still not worth my time if it's $.25. But I'll stock up from now until it's $.10... I'll double my money.
You're not doubling your money if you paid the deposit to begin with. That's not how it works.

My sister-in-law manages a Safeway and last year some guy came up with a way to scam the bottle/can machines.
He cut the bar code off an aluminum can and put double stick tape to the back and stuck it on the machines roller.
Then all he had to do is stick his hand in the machine to trigger it into motion and it would read the same bar code over and over. He had a route that covered several Safeways.
She didn't catch the scam for awhile, as the guy was pretty good at keeping his totals down per day, but he finally got greedy and started to raise his limits and that triggered an audit of the machines.
Yet another reason to abolish the deposit. No system in place, no system to scam.

Last Edited:
I rarely drink that crap anymore, and when I do it's from a fountain dispenser. For my daily hydration I'm basically down to (my favorite) water (in copious amounts), unsweetened iced tea (sometimes with a twist), and milk. Too much sugar/sweetness actually grosses me out.

Then on the occasions I socialize it's whiskey/scotch, rum, beer, misc. cocktails... but I tend to be a tad bit anti-social, so I'm not EVEN close to being pickled. LOL

Since minimum wages are going up, the stores are not improving the return equipment, and stores really do not want to handle anything after the sale, it only makes political CENTS to help the homeless collect trash (cans and bottles) so they can use their Free government subsides to buy drugs and collectable $ to buy beer

You like your orange crush do you? So do I.

I don't like pop as much as I like fruit juice, but it easier to have the pop at work. I also go for the caffeinated versions of orange pop as I need a bit of a lift after lunch to keep going through the afternoon - but I always limit it to one can. In the morning I drink ice water at work.

At home I almost always drink either fruit juice or very cold water.

In WA here we have our large recycle container that's picked up like the trash. Our recycle container is twice as big as our gabage container.

We fill it every two weeks when they pick it up.
I never recycled before but it's made me want to.

So in other words the amount of people redeeming are going down due to other programs like curbside pickup and they want to reward us with eliminating the program and not taxing us anymore?

Oh wait I totally read that wrong, they want to tax us further.

Sure, I totally doubt this is about increased revenue...

Got to love guberment.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads