JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks folks for the info on that bottle drop system!

May just work for me.

What kind of info do they need to set up an account to use those green bags & just drop them off? Not too keen on giving them a Credit card # to keep open.

Thanks!

As a poor college student, I supplemented my work/study income with can deposits. With all the parties it was easy to fill up a garbage bag for a maximum daily refund.

Now days if my teens ask me for money, I just point to the bags of cans on our back porch. Money right there son.

May just work for me.

What kind of info do they need to set up an account to use those green bags & just drop them off? Not too keen on giving them a Credit card # to keep open.

Thanks!

I don't recall any requirement for a credit card #. What they'll do is issue you a BottleDrop card. You provide your basic info, name, address, phone number, email, and you'll set up a password/PIN for your account. You'll be issued bags with adhesive labels that are matched to your account. When the bag is full, just drop it off - they will count it for you and credit the $$ to your BottleDrop card. When you run out of bags, you just ask for more bags/labels - there is no charge for them. Honestly it's so easy to do it this way, I don't give a second thought to collecting and returning my empties. Oh and bonus, no separating, plastic bottles, aluminum cans and glass bottles can all go together in the same bag. They also have a drop door located outside the building that allows you to drop your bag after hours.

When you're ready to redeem, go to a BottleDrop kiosk at any of a number of local retailers and it will issue you a slip you take to the register. There are other options for redemption too that can actually earn you a little more as MikeJ has noted - they will send emails with info on those promotions.

Here is a link to their website with all the details:

BottleDrop is a new system for redeeming bottles and cans in Oregon.

May just work for me.

Thanks!

The bags do cost .10 cents each, and they take that out of your Bottle Drop account when you pick up a roll of bags. And there's a small charge for dropping them off. I think it comes to .25 cents per bag in the end.

I hated the Bottle Drop idea at first because I liked going to Freddy's and using the can machine that you dumped cans in a bin. Then I would go in and shop with the "Free" money. Freddy's got rid of that machine. Love just dropping the bags through the door now though. And when you want money from the account, just go to the Freddy's that has the little machine, get a chit and cash it or use it, +20%, to buy stuff. I guess you could go inside and get money too? It's kind of smelly inside though.

The bags do cost .10 cents each, and they take that out of your Bottle Drop account when you pick up a roll of bags. And there's a small charge for dropping them off. I think it comes to .25 cents per bag in the end.

I hated the Bottle Drop idea at first because I liked going to Freddy's and using the can machine that you dumped cans in a bin. Then I would go in and shop with the "Free" money. Freddy's got rid of that machine. Love just dropping the bags through the door now though. And when you want money from the account, just go to the Freddy's that has the little machine, get a chit and cash it or use it, +20%, to buy stuff. I guess you could go inside and get money too? It's kind of smelly inside though.

Last time I got bags, there was no charge. I think they run occasional promos where you can get them at no charge. Or maybe I just have a pretty face and they were being nice to me...:rolleyes:

IMO they are raising it because of the rising homeless problem in Portlandia. It's straight up wealth redistribution. You pay fee. Homeless person collects bottles you throw in recycle containers. Homeless redeems cash. Homeless buys drugs and booze and continues to live in whatever neighborhood Portland says it's okay to.

Or maybe I just have a pretty face and they were being nice to me..

Yeah, that's it. :p

IMO they are raising it because of the rising homeless problem in Portlandia. It's straight up wealth redistribution. You pay fee. Homeless person collects bottles you throw in recycle containers. Homeless redeems cash. Homeless buys drugs and booze and continues to live in whatever neighborhood Portland says it's okay to.

I dunno, there might be a lot of people that decide a dime per container is over the limit of what they're going to put out with the trash?

Not in Lake Oswego they won't.
I know of a retired garbage hauler that supplements his income by moving the garbage cans up to the street curb before the garbage truck arrives and then reverses his route to place them back down the driveways so the rich folks don't need to bother with them.
He drives a little pickup with the drivers door removed so he can roll the can next to his rig while driving backwards up the driveways.

...I dunno, there might be a lot of people that decide a dime per container is over the limit of what they're going to put out with the trash?

Yeah, it'd put me over the limit for sure. Heck at the $.05 it is, I'm going to do that drop deal - never new about it.

Thanks again all for that bottle drop info!

In the end, wouldn't it just be easier to not pay a deposit(tax), and just put all these cans and bottles in the curbside recycling bin??

-------------------------------------------------------------------
The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

Have you ever driven in a state that doesn't charge a deposit fee?

discarded-trash-and-litter-including-many-beer-cans-amongst-broken-b75rg3.jpg

Actually, you can find incidents like this ^^ in and around Oregon. Unfortunately, a lot of times where people have been shooting. Thankfully members of this website, as well as other have been cleaning these sites up.

I'm saying that maybe by putting them in recycling, there may be less hassle, less homeless, etc, etc........But clearly that is not the "Oregon" way......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The world is full of Kings and Queens, who blind your eyes, and steal your dreams. It's Heaven and Hell.....

I've got 15 Bottle Drop bags ready to return after the 1st.
All of them collected from my old rental apartments and my neighbors who set out full curbies every week.

Can't wait to hear how much the state underestimated the cost, me thinks there'll be initial surge of folks cashing in on the "double your deposit" windfall...

More free money brought to you by the incompetent Oregon State Government...

It's the beverage distributors that hold onto the deposits, not the state.
If you throw away the container into the trash, then they keep the deposit.
Every year they get up to 30 million in free money.

Plastics are invading all spheres of life. It has become an inseparable part of life.
Recycling is a smart option. Because it would help reduce the piling up of bottles in the landfill. Studies say that plastics take between 100 and 400 years to break down at the landfill, thus recycling bottles would ensure the protection of our fragile ecosystem. Refer more such facts in this doc (12 Facts About Recycling | Gorilla Bins). This is not just about plastics but also on metal, glass, paper.
So costing folks more money solves what exactly? Its a ponzi scheme. It could be 25¢ a bottle and many people would still litter and not return items.

How about the industry develops biodegrade containers? And in doing so they raise the price on said containers but no additional extortion (bottle deposit) is required? That extra 10¢ would then actually be contributing rather than costing over taxed folks more money at the store. There is never an end to these taxes either.. 10¢ now, another 5¢ increase, then another then another..

Then the gov will decide they want a piece of the action. They'll use said funds for bogus programs that will cost more money than projections showed.. Then another 5¢ increase..
When does the madness stop?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads