JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The redemption rate did not drop below 80% because people are slacking in returning their soda and beer cans, it dropped because the State expanded the type of containers which a deposit is charged on. Also, since you cannot get palatable drinking water out of the faucet in most Oregon cities anymore, bottled water consumption is on the rise.

They should offer money per pound of roadside garbage. THATS what would help with litter. The whole bottle return is a cluster-F. Usually crowded, machines are not well monitered or maintained and often "down".. Im often too busy and only have Sunday to do such a task. And on my only day off Im not going to wait around for the machine to be changed out or unjammed and lose the better part of my day. They should really rid the bottle tax altogether.

They should really invest in more stand alone, drive up and park centers that provide vouchers you can redeem at ANY chain store or that dispense cash. (Which could be tricky) but the appeal would be greater.. However the meth heads would catch on and rob people.. So the hours of operation would have to be during the day OR they'd have to be regularly patrolled if cash was dispensed.

But still, now my drinks are going to cost even more.. Thats all I see.

My wife drinks a lot of seltzer water. We fill up a garbage bag full of cans, and yes, there are a few beer bottles in there also. We give the full bag to a neighbor kid. He is more than happy to go redeem them and have a few bucks. With the deposit price increase, he will be even more happy. And that's OK with me. I went to a bottle drop room at Safeway one time and once was enough for me.

My Mom drinks a lot of seltzer water and I bought her one of those Soda Stream units and it cut her costs of buying individual cans considerably.
I plan on buying a small Co2 bottle and make an adapter to refill the 1 liter rechargeable Soda Stream tank that you trade in when it empties.

I like beer, therefore I drink beer. Bud Light. From a can. And my cans go in my curbside recycle bin. Even at .10 a can its going to be tough for me to stand in line at the bottle drops.

If you want to redeem cans or bottles in our area, you first have to go stand in line at the First Tweaker Bank of Safeway. They all stand in line and try and steal each others cans. We donot drink any of bottled / canned poison that is called soda pop, and a half rack of beer lasts me 3 weeks. I just put those bottles in the recycle bin, or if my boys leave a bunch of beer cans, I just put them in a trash bag, drive up to the curb at Safeway, toss the bag out on the grass and yell over to the tweakers, " Yo !! Anybody want these cans ???" and then watch them all beat azz over there, knocking each other out of the way to get them.

That scene is worth whatever $1.50 I would get taking them in myself.

As long as we understand it's more of an attempt to eliminate these bottles via taxation I mean deposit...

My problem with this scheme is that............

I use to return my used bottles and cans at ___________. Then, that store changed it's policy and directed me to return my used bottles and cans at the OR recycling center. The lines were so long that I gave up and just gave away my bags of bottles and cans to people standing in line that wanted them.

I'm for returning the used bottles/cans. It was money for my son's activities. But, hell if I want to stand in line for 30 mins or more just to get to the machine.

Aloha, Mark

I used to return them, but I got tired of dealing with the endless stream of 'Ne'er-do-Wells' that were always loitering around the bottle returns. Two or three groups every time. All eying my two trash bags of cans. Then somebody started going on to our enclosed back porch and stealing the bags of cans. I chased him off one night. They go in the blue bin at the curb now. Not even close to worth the hassle.

Bottle return laws in Oregon are backwards. I grew up in Michigan, always been $.10. No daily limit. If the store sells them, they have to take them back. No lines, no crazy semi-homeless issues, no problems.

Currently, the beverage distributor keeps the unclaimed deposit money. " It was reported in Plastics Recycling Update magazine that, "Whatever profits the co-op generates are divided among the 80 beverage distributors that own the Oregon Beverage Recycling Cooperative." ("Bringing the Bottles Back Home, Part 1," August 2012.)"
BottleBill.org - Unclaimed deposits

The retailers have always complained that the deposit system cost them money and either wanted rid of it or to get paid to handle the returns. I'll bet that they try to get their hands on some of the added (tax) deposit.

Retailers have tried to discourage return of containers to their sales outlets. That is why it is so unpleasant to use their return systems. I can't prove it, but it appears that the Bottle Drop centers are sponsered by the beverage industry as a means of handling the redemptions away from the retail outlets.

Bottle Drop has added an option called "Bottle Drop Account", where you fill a green plastic bag with containers and drop it off at a Bottle Drop location and your account receives full credit for the redemptons. You can also feed the machines if you want the cash right away. I have found that these locations are clean, well-run, and have minimum wait times compared to Safeway, etc..

I know lots of people that just throw their bottles/cans in the trash, not even recycle them. It is their choice.

Bottle Drop has added an option called "Bottle Drop Account", where you fill a green plastic bag with containers and drop it off at a Bottle Drop location and your account receives full credit for the redemptons. You can also feed the machines if you want the cash right away. I have found that these locations are clean, well-run, and have minimum wait times compared to Safeway, etc..

This is pretty much what I said in post #10. Seems some people don't read posts in a thread, just jump to the end and throw their opinion out there!o_O

"Bottle Drop" BottleDrop is a new system for redeeming bottles and cans in Oregon. is great, other than there are only six locations in Oregon. Use your bottle drop account to get an extra 20% toward purchases at participating Fred Meyer Stores. Hey! That's one GOOD thing about living in PDX....HoooRAH!

This is pretty much what I said in post #10. Seems some people don't read posts in a thread, just jump to the end and throw their opinion out there!o_O

"Bottle Drop" BottleDrop is a new system for redeeming bottles and cans in Oregon. is great, other than there are only six locations in Oregon. Use your bottle drop account to get an extra 20% toward purchases at participating Fred Meyer Stores. Hey! That's one GOOD thing about living in PDX....HoooRAH!

We've been using BottleDrop since it came out - it's a great way to do it! No mess, no lines, just a green bag at home we drop off from time to time. Someone else does all the dirty work and we just collect our money. I don't know how they could make it any easier.

Mike, I did read your post. I was giving some background on where the unclaimed money goes, and how the industry is trying to discourage redemptons at retailers.

I threw in the information on Bottle Drop to show what they are doing to divert the redemptions, and reinterated the information that you had posted. Sorry you felt that I am stupid and need to be criticized for repeating your information. After all, I posted at 2:36 AM, and was a little tired. :oops:

Mike, I did read your post. I was giving some background on where the unclaimed money goes, and how the industry is trying to discourage redemptons at retailers.

I threw in the information on Bottle Drop to show what they are doing to divert the redemptions, and reinterated the information that you had posted. Sorry you felt that I am stupid and need to be criticized for repeating your information. After all, I posted at 2:36 AM, and was a little tired. :oops:

Really sorry @Provincial! I was just re-repeating what I already had and wasn't referring to you. Now that I read it it does sound like I'm picking you out, when I was actually holding you up for an example of knowing about Bottle Drop. Apologies....:oops:

Our Granddaughters will be all into this. There savings account will be growing even faster.

Since the older one was born (actually a little before) the wife and I have been putting all our can and bottle deposit money (as well as a few extra bucks) into a savings account for the girls future. You know college books, prom dresses, bail money what every a couple of you ladies might need.

The oldest is about 9.5 the younger is 8.5 they have roughly $3500 in their future account. And have made money by loaning funds to various family members. They loaned their Uncle money to get a tranny fixed when his car went tits up while home on a 2 week leave. They loaned their dad money for a car payment when he came up tight one time. They even loaned grandma and grandpa money to pay off a couple unexpected bills we got during the winter when I am not working. All at the reasonable rate of 5%.

Grandma thinks this change in the deposit rate will add about 30% to their yearly income.

Beer bottles go in glass recycling, beer cans used to go in the trAsh, but now go to a girl at our church who wants to buy a horse or some sh¡t.

I don't give any fux about recycling... But now that it's gonna be a 60 cent tax on a six pack instead of 30, I might just have to get some more growlers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top