JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Getting kind of burnt out on building and shooting in the .223/5.56 platform. Thinking of making my next build in a different caliber. I'm thinking 308 would be a good change of pace and fun to shoot with some good glass. I want it to be quality build so I'm already doing some on-line window shopping at Rainier Arms. Looking at the Mega Maten specifically. It would appear it's going to be spendy so I may have to stretch this build out as my budget allows.
Is this a good idea as a break away from my usual builds? Any advice for either building or shopping?
Thanks!

If you want to hunt with it try and keep it light starting with the barrel. I used a Rainier 18" SS and didn't consider the weight. They get heavy pretty quick.

Going from 15 to a 10 to cure boredom.....all your going to do is build a heavier AR with more recoil, less rounds , more expensive......don't know if that's going to pull you out of your boredom

Recommend a different platform altogether , build a 1911 or something

Last Edited:
I have over a dozen AR15's and two SR-25/LR308/AR-10 type rifles. The big bore brothers are great fun and it's a lot to learn (building a 308 AR is far more involved because there is no parts standard)

If the ammo was the same price I would probably shoot the .308's more than the 5.56 but since it costs about double they only come out on special occasions.

I sure don't regret building the .308 guns.

How do you currently use your AR and are you looking to change the way you use them? Why not try out some of the other rounds that will work in the AR-15? A AR-15 in 9mm for the times you're going to a inside range? Maybe a 5.45X39 with cheap ammo for getting in some more trigger time? Or 6X45 for a heavier projectile and only needs a barrel swap? Most of my AR's can be used for hunting some types of game (10mm, 300AAC or 7.62X39).

I have three rounds picked out for when I start on filling the rest of the AR safe with AR-10 clones. 1). 7mm-08 2). 338 Fed 3). 308

How do you currently use your AR and are you looking to change the way you use them? Why not try out some of the other rounds that will work in the AR-15? A AR-15 in 9mm for the times you're going to a inside range? Maybe a 5.45X39 with cheap ammo for getting in some more trigger time? Or 6X45 for a heavier projectile and only needs a barrel swap? Most of my AR's can be used for hunting some types of game (10mm, 300AAC or 7.62X39).

I have three rounds picked out for when I start on filling the rest of the AR safe with AR-10 clones. 1). 7mm-08 2). 338 Fed 3). 308

I agree on this. There are tons of different types of uppers out there to build on an AR15 platform to make it interesting. You can get a 50 BMG uppers

Just finished a AR57 build today.

poQicDF.jpg

I agree on this. There are tons of different types of uppers out there to build on an AR15 platform to make it interesting. You can get a 50 BMG uppers

View attachment 240063
I have a lower in the safe that will some day after a few more projects are done will grow up to be a AR57 pistol. From the photo it looks like you reload so when I get around to reloading for the AR57 pistol will you be willing to offer some pointers?

I pick out a job for the AR lower and then try to find what'll be the best fit to reach that goal. I spend a great deal of time reading up on different things and parts for each AR. The only part that's from the same maker on more than one is a free float tube not counting basic LPK's.

View attachment 240063

A FiveSeven AR just seems too undergunned to me. I know that the FiveSeven round was very lethal and effective at the first Fort Hood shooting, and that was just using a pistol, which has much lower velocity still.

But isn't it just only a little more powerful than a .22 Rimfire Magnum?

What type of shooting do you do with your AR? I think it gets boring
punching holes in targets. I recomend High Power Rifle competition.
Standing and rapid fire sitting at 200 yards. Rapid prone at 300 yards.
Slow fire prone at 600 yards. Very chalenging it will take a life time
to master. You can use a AR 'service rifle' or AR 'match rifle' aka
space gun. Different optics are available to make old guys like
me see the iron sights better.
https://www.google.com/search?q=hig...h&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Ir9lVZei:rolleyes:

A FiveSeven AR just seems too undergunned to me. I know that the FiveSeven round was very lethal and effective at the first Fort Hood shooting, and that was just using a pistol, which has much lower velocity still.

But isn't it just only a little more powerful than a .22 Rimfire Magnum?

It seemed to be pretty good at taking out Goa'uld aliens in Stargate :)

I like trying different stuff, regardless of lethality or appropriateness for self defense. But I think 50 rounds in a 7 lbs fully loaded rifle is pretty appealing.

PSA has a sale on AR10 clone parts. It may be just the thing to try out before dropping cash on the nice stuff. Cheap parts to get the process down. If you get the blem parts for the build it'll run a little more than a AR15.

If you go that route just stick with the PSA parts. PSA has had some fairly major DPMS compatibility issues. Stick with all their parts and you'll be fine

Last Edited:
"Bored"? Try a light casting rig.. or a laughable handgun. Perhaps even try to learn yourself to field a handgun like most can't with a rifle.

Handguns are insanely difficult to master. It takes many years of practice and experience to get real good.

Most people just don't have the time or resources to truly master handgun shooting in this day and age.

It is much better to stick with rifles and shotguns.

"Bored"? Try a light casting rig.. or a laughable handgun. Perhaps even try to learn yourself to field a handgun like most can't with a rifle.
Meh... already qualify with consistently higher scores with the hand gun than I do with the rifle, although I'm no slouch for a marksman with the rifle. That isn't the issue. Just needed a change of pace. Diversification of calibers. Looking forward to my AR10!

No patience for fishing!

Handguns are insanely difficult to master. It takes many years of practice and experience to get real good.

Most people just don't have the time or resources to truly master handgun shooting in this day and age.

It is much better to stick with rifles and shotguns.
I truly have a passion for both. You have to be diversified to make it in these times. Wouldn't want all your eggs in one basket, right?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top