JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a combo self-cleaning gun. Best bore snake out there.

un-1.jpg

I've spent about $50 buying bore snake for different calibers.
Bore snakes are great for quick cleanings, especially while camping.
The trouble is that you can't simply toss a few patches and have your cleaning gear be clean again. You need to wash and dry the bore snakes every few uses if you use them dry, and every time if you use solvent.

Recently I've discovered the "worm", and I'm not going back. Basically, you go to the shed, and yank about 30 inches of plastic line out of your weed whacker (or buy a refill roll at the hardware store - $3.50). Now that you've got your length of thin plastic, get out a lighter and *lightly* heat one end and tap it against something firm to flatten it a bit. Use a knife to carefully sharpen the other end of the plastic line to a point.

Now you've got your worm. It's halfway between a bore snake and a cleaning rod with a patch loop. Get a pack of patches and simply pop the worm point through one or more patches and then slide them all the way down to the melted end where they should get stuck on the melted and flattened bit. Feed the pointy end through the barrel from the receiver and just before the patches enter the chamber, add your solvent or oil to the patch, then pull the worm through. Rinse, repeat.

Sure, you have to carry patches along with the worm, but it all packs down small. The worm can be used with most calibers; probably all calibers if you're willing to jam enough patches onto the worm. I use it with my .22's pistols and rifles, my .38 and my 7.62 rifles. One patch for rimfires, two folded or three flat take care of the 7.62x39 rifles - of course it depends on the size of the patches.

And to think all this time i have been carrying a OTIS tactical cleaning kit with me.
I use Bore snakes dry at home. If it is a quick cleaning I wipe off the parts and if the barrel appears clean run the bore snake down it a couple of times.
I disagreed with having to wash it every 2 or 3 uses, but you will need to clean it when it appears soiled.

I like boresnakes for a couple of situations, otherwise I stick with an OTIS kit.

My boresnake gets used all the time for shotguns... super easy, just hose with a lil' breakfree, a few quick passes, and its done.

I also love using the boresnake for initial cleaning after shooting corrosive ammo. I use a bit of my homemade blackpowder solution, dunk just the tip of the snake in there, and within a few passes, its' clean. I also use a couple of q-tips and a shop towel to help with the corrosive clean. Then when I get home, I can follow my standard cleaning.

for otis info... <broken link removed>

I've spent about $50 buying bore snake for different calibers.
Bore snakes are great for quick cleanings, especially while camping.
The trouble is that you can't simply toss a few patches and have your cleaning gear be clean again. You need to wash and dry the bore snakes every few uses if you use them dry, and every time if you use solvent.

Recently I've discovered the "worm", and I'm not going back. Basically, you go to the shed, and yank about 30 inches of plastic line out of your weed whacker (or buy a refill roll at the hardware store - $3.50). Now that you've got your length of thin plastic, get out a lighter and *lightly* heat one end and tap it against something firm to flatten it a bit. Use a knife to carefully sharpen the other end of the plastic line to a point.

Now you've got your worm. It's halfway between a bore snake and a cleaning rod with a patch loop. Get a pack of patches and simply pop the worm point through one or more patches and then slide them all the way down to the melted end where they should get stuck on the melted and flattened bit. Feed the pointy end through the barrel from the receiver and just before the patches enter the chamber, add your solvent or oil to the patch, then pull the worm through. Rinse, repeat.

Sure, you have to carry patches along with the worm, but it all packs down small. The worm can be used with most calibers; probably all calibers if you're willing to jam enough patches onto the worm. I use it with my .22's pistols and rifles, my .38 and my 7.62 rifles. One patch for rimfires, two folded or three flat take care of the 7.62x39 rifles - of course it depends on the size of the patches.

Thanks, I have made a few of these & like them, Just wanted to try something ells. How do we know what we like best if we don't try some other things? ( PLEASE DON'T TAKE THIS QUESTION OUT OF CONTEXT):s0114:

I've heard great things about the Otis kits, but after finding the worm and falling in love with its economy after spending so much on boresnakes, I'm not in real hurry to spend more right now, especially while I'm still shopping for cheap non-corrosive 7.62x39 bulk.

If you find the ammo let me know. I am looking for the same thing.
Most of the time my Otis kit is used at the range so it pretty much lives on my range bag. I do break it out at home when I am cleaning rifles.

I like boresnakes if I want to do a field cleaning or quick clean. Full cleaning Bore Snakes can't beat using the rod. I have a bore snake for all my calibers.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top