JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If it comes to the point of going to battle and needing body armor then your probably screwed anyway. The mobility/weight issues that body armor present does not seem worth the slight chance youll need them. That weight would be better served carrying food, water, ammo etc which has a higher probability of saving your life. And try like heck (it censored the other word:rolleyes:) to avoid any confrontations/E&E, but im a sneaky sneaky bubblegum ((bubblegum?)) so to each his own;). And I guess it depends on the scenario we're talking about.

In the world of Risk Management there is a phrase "Low Probability, High Impact" or "The Alpha Beta Test". Lets use the Alpha Beta test.

Query: What is the worst outcome if one wears body armor?
Query: What is the worst outcome if one does not wear body armor?

+1 for BulletProofMe.

The oddsmakers telling you not to bother with body armor are neglecting the fact that your CCW is most likely not going to ever be used either. Prepping for worst-case scenarios isn't about extrapolating past trends to compute future probabilities. I'm not about to stop wearing my seat belt, despite driving for nearly 40 years without a serious accident.

For almost any handgun threat we're likely to face on the street, a Level II vest is sufficient. If a carload of gangbangers opens up on me with an AK, then I'm well and truly screwed anyway, since I can't go through life wearing Level IV plates.

My soft vest is extremely thin and comfortable, and I do wear it just for practice sometimes. For me Level II just makes sense, since the step up to IIIA only adds coverage for .357Sig and .44Mag, but would do nothing against 7.62X39.

Personal armor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kinda a 3-fold question on body armor:

I recently got a job as a security guard (and am very happy to have it), and was "promoted" you could say, to our company's patrol unit. running around my fair valley for a few weeks, and hearing stories from clients.. i'm kinda interested in putting a little extra fabric between me and any guy who sees a badge as a target more than a symbol:

1) comfort not being a factor, to cover the "average" a--hat toting a gun and looking to use it (as i'm just running around town, not raiding drug houses), should Level II be sufficient, or should I go for IIIA? (just realized chemist answered that one, lol)

2) Is there a local (medford/surrounding area) merchant selling said classes of armor?

3) and kinda the most important question is that "all-important" factor of "shelf-life" or more like "wear-life": is it a huge factor like a use-by date on milk and suddenly i'm wearing paper? or is it sorta like a car and proper maintenance gives you a life-long friend? (if so, what is the proper maintenance for long life?) (Guess I just need some proper care info now, lol)
(while 300-500 bucks is a small price to pay for my life, if i need to pay it every few months for a new vest it's gonna suck :( )

Those used German vests do indeed look like a bargain!
I basically spent all the money, and got the thinnest, best-fitting Level II vest that I could find. It's a lot easier to conceal than the German surplus, and it covers the same area.
I just wish there were some practical daily-wear garment that was up to 7.62X39. I could see going from II to III, but not II to IIIA - the difference isn't worth it to me.

From what I know about polymer composites, the aging issue of a soft vest is a function of time, temperature, humidity, and flexing. The plies are especially vulnerable to delamination when flexed while hot & wet. Never, ever wash the panels in your vest - just sponge them off.

Vest Guy in Salem area sells good soft armor and plate carriers. He's at all the big gun shows. Great pricing too. I've got one of his plate carriers with plates that are level 4....

isnt it true that some of the 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo (pre-ban) were able to penetrate the level IIA vests? just for safety sake I would have both IIA base under a shirt and a decent Plate Carrier with my SHTF gear attached to it...out here where everyone and their brother have a .30 caliber deer rifle; I would feel safer with a level 3 and 4 personal armor....I do have a K-pot if I need to use it....

isnt it true that some of the 7.62x25 Tokarev ammo (pre-ban) were able to penetrate the level IIA vests? just for safety sake I would have both IIA base under a shirt and a decent Plate Carrier with my SHTF gear attached to it...out here where everyone and their brother have a .30 caliber deer rifle; I would feel safer with a level 3 and 4 personal armor....I do have a K-pot if I need to use it....

The 7.62X25 round isn't rated by NIJ test protocols, so who knows. Surely there are hot loads that penetrate Level II armor. But just to be clear, Level IIA is the lowest, Level II is better, Level IIIA is the next step up, and Level III is the lowest rating that's effective on some rifle rounds.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top