JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For anyone here who wears soft armor you know what I mean :)
I have for decades used different things with fair to good results. Last many years I was using a product called Arrest My Vest, and one called Clear Gear. The latter is a disinfectant that will kill things like MRSA even. I tended to daily clean the carrier to some extent. Since it's a hassle to take it apart complete washing in the machine was often put off. While back the older male dog we had took to scent marking places when not watched :mad: . I had tried multiple products to clean some spots he had gotten heavy on. Sooner or later I could smell it again. Saw and add for machine to make Ozone (O3) for deodorizing. Had forgotten I had seen large commercial applications for this made more places that do fire and flood clean up. Now they have all kinds of home use ones. So bought a small one, tried it in an extra guest room first. Room smelled great. My vest for work also was hanging in there with an old one. I put it on and it smelled just like it did when it was brand new. When I came home I sniffed the old vest hanging there. It too smelled like it did when new. So I took to hanging the vest in a walk in closet in the guest room when I come home. Run the machine for :10 in there. Been doing this for a month now and it has been fantastic. It's been one of those wish I had tried long ago kind of things. They warn to only use it in a room no pets or humans are in since O3 is not healthy. For days we had all the doors and windows closed for Wife and her breathing problems. So one day I turned the machine on under the air return while the furnace fan was running to filter the air. figuring that little bit of O3 spread all over could not hurt. The entire house soon smelled like it does after a good rain. :)

I have a UV light I turn on for the master bathroom to periodically (once a week) disinfect it. I hang it from a spot near the shower, plug it in and close the door. I leave it on for several hours but it should only take 30 minutes. I hold my breath when I go back in to turn it off and don't look at the light - do not be exposed to strong UV for more than a few seconds and don't breathe the ozone. The UV light can damage your skin and especially your eyes. It is better to have a timer.

I can definitely tell the ozone is generated by the light. I open the door and the window and sometimes use a fan to air it out.

UV is bad for nylon and kevlar/aramid fabrics by the way. It'll degrade the dyes, and the fibers as well, depending on intensity and length of exposure. I have found fresh baking soda to be excellent for getting most if not all of cat piss scent and stuff out of nylon fabrics and so forth; its why a container of baking soda lives in the bathroom cabinet. White vinegar itself is also pretty good, as it kills mildew and mold, and can be diluted to an acceptable level if too strong for noses. Most armor panels says to wipe clean with damp cloths and minimal soaps/detergents. They dont say only water for damp cloths ;) hence my suggestion for white vinegar or a baking soda solution.

UV is bad for nylon and kevlar/aramid fabrics by the way. It'll degrade the dyes, and the fibers as well, depending on intensity and length of exposure. I have found fresh baking soda to be excellent for getting most if not all of cat piss scent and stuff out of nylon fabrics and so forth; its why a container of baking soda lives in the bathroom cabinet. White vinegar itself is also pretty good, as it kills mildew and mold, and can be diluted to an acceptable level if too strong for noses. Most armor panels says to wipe clean with damp cloths and minimal soaps/detergents. They dont say only water for damp cloths ;) hence my suggestion for white vinegar or a baking soda solution.
I have never been able to smell anything on the Kevlar it's self on mine. It's the damn carrier's that seem to soak it up. Makes sense since they soak up moisture. The Kevlar is sealed in something to keep it dry. So far of everything I have tried nothing has come close to doing what simple Ozone is doing. The carrier smells just like it did when it was new when I put it on now:D:D

Years ago there was a "feminine" product called FDS (feminine deodorant spray.) Apparently it could cover up the most disgusting odors on the planet. It also smelled like spring flowers, according to the ad. Perhaps this information will be of assistance to you as you search for a product or methodology to rid your armor of offensive odors, especially if your armor smells like tuna and burning tires.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews