JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I think I understand the safety issue with Blackhawk SERPA holsters.
But does the same apply to other level-2 retention holsters that need the index finger to release the pistol?
Specifically, I'm wondering about these IMI holsters:
I have a few of these IMI holsters for Sig's.

Thanks....

I read the US Gov report on the Serpa a few months ago. One of the primary issues was with shooters pulling up too strongly on the grip before pressing the release so the locking mechanism would not release the gun. Then shooters curl their fingers to get more pressure, while still pulling up on the grip. When the gun eventually releases their fingers are more likely to go into the trigger guard and they are already bent.

So I don't have any personal experience with the IMI holster but if this situation could result then perhaps it may be an issue. Guessing you will get many on the forum that own, use and like their Serpas as well. Personally I understand the issue but don't judge those who train with and understand the holders.

The safety side of pulling the trigger was one aspect of the issues with serpa holsters. The other the design allowed dirt to get in and lock the gun in place. I just choose to buy a holster that has less issues and since I don't require active retention I stay away from any that have it.

Any holster that utilizes the index finger to actuate a button COULD be problematic. There are lots of variables here with a big one being where the button is located in relation to the trigger...which can vary widely from gun to gun. So the holster could be fine with one gun but potentially not fine with another gun.

My personal preference is for a thumb actuated button like on the Safariland ALS rigs. I think it's a better design personally. But Safariland rigs aren't usually cheap.

I have the Serpa and a cheap Amazon kydex that both have the retention release buttons. The Serpa has the release in line with the trigger and the cheapo doesn't; it's along the slide.

I like the cheapo one better because my trigger finger always instinctively lines up along the slide and straight when drawing after years of training. Trigger finger moves towards the trigger when I'm beginning to sight the pistol. So a holster with the release in line with the slide just works better.

That being said, I have not had ANY issues with the Serpa. My brain seems to manage my trigger finger just fine. The only dangerous issue I've had with a holster was with a cheaper leather one with a thumb strap that managed to get into the trigger guard of a Glock upon re-holstering and nearly caused a ND. Again, my brain realized there was more resistance than usual and stopped the action.

Training issue cannot be blamed on holster.
I think with Serpa Holsters it goes way beyond training issues. And most, strike that, nearly all non-LEOs that use this holster are not going to have the ability / interest / finances to attend, on-going, stress based training where they can overcome some of the issues with this holster. I've worked with many officers that love this holsters. They have also drawn firearms in stressful situations dozens to hundreds of times, attend regular training, have to qualify under stressful time constraints (monthly to quarterly) and maintain their gear. Yet this doesn't address many of the other issues noted in the video.

For those who can, carry on.

But for those who don't, IMHO it would behoove them to consider other holster options.

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 6.18.25 PM.png
Had to dislodge the pebble with a Gerber tool.

The satisfied look on a Marine's face that only a full belly from feasting on crayons can make!
I'll just sit here silently. Content with my crayons. While I watch people defend a "quality" and "well designed" holster…. Crayons are about the only thing I'd put in one of those. Haha.

I'll just sit here silently. Content with my crayons. While I watch people defend a "quality" and "well designed" holster…. Crayons are about the only thing I'd put in one of those. Haha.
Why would you put crayons in there? Chances are high a speck of dirt will lock the mechanism and you will go hungry

Why would you put crayons in there? Chances are high a speck of dirt will lock the mechanism and you will go hungry
You have a point. Just throw the thing in the trash. Pockets are for crayons.

Big box stores tend to have a Blackhawk? section and the products are often fairly inexpensive. That should tell you not only the quality, but who they're popular with. Tends to be a brand I uh... Avoid.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews