Blackhawk SERPA holster safety issue....does the same apply to other level-2 holsters w index finger release?

I think I understand the safety issue with Blackhawk SERPA holsters.
But does the same apply to other level-2 retention holsters that need the index finger to release the pistol?
Specifically, I'm wondering about these IMI holsters:
I have a few of these IMI holsters for Sig's.

Thanks....

Reactions
I read the US Gov report on the Serpa a few months ago. One of the primary issues was with shooters pulling up too strongly on the grip before pressing the release so the locking mechanism would not release the gun. Then shooters curl their fingers to get more pressure, while still pulling up on the grip. When the gun eventually releases their fingers are more likely to go into the trigger guard and they are already bent.

So I don't have any personal experience with the IMI holster but if this situation could result then perhaps it may be an issue. Guessing you will get many on the forum that own, use and like their Serpas as well. Personally I understand the issue but don't judge those who train with and understand the holders.

The safety side of pulling the trigger was one aspect of the issues with serpa holsters. The other the design allowed dirt to get in and lock the gun in place. I just choose to buy a holster that has less issues and since I don’t require active retention I stay away from any that have it.

L84Cabo

Reactions
Any holster that utilizes the index finger to actuate a button COULD be problematic. There are lots of variables here with a big one being where the button is located in relation to the trigger...which can vary widely from gun to gun. So the holster could be fine with one gun but potentially not fine with another gun.

My personal preference is for a thumb actuated button like on the Safariland ALS rigs. I think it's a better design personally. But Safariland rigs aren't usually cheap.

HaveGun

Reactions
I have the Serpa and a cheap Amazon kydex that both have the retention release buttons. The Serpa has the release in line with the trigger and the cheapo doesn't; it's along the slide.

I like the cheapo one better because my trigger finger always instinctively lines up along the slide and straight when drawing after years of training. Trigger finger moves towards the trigger when I'm beginning to sight the pistol. So a holster with the release in line with the slide just works better.

That being said, I have not had ANY issues with the Serpa. My brain seems to manage my trigger finger just fine. The only dangerous issue I've had with a holster was with a cheaper leather one with a thumb strap that managed to get into the trigger guard of a Glock upon re-holstering and nearly caused a ND. Again, my brain realized there was more resistance than usual and stopped the action.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Seattle, WA, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom