Black Powder Shotgun loads

Reactions
I have a Pedersoli SXS 12ga, older lightweight one, about 6lbs with browned barrels with a differential fixed choke constriction.
I really don't like misfires so installed 209 ignition nipples to be sure I don't miss bird opportunities. Misfires stopped when I got rid of the percussion cap nipples.

Looking for suggestions on what powder, wad, and shot load combinations have worked for you.

I have done OK nontoxic shot area pheasant hunting with 70gr FFg and 1oz #5 bismuth or tungsten matrix in premeasured capped plastic test tubes for speed loading.
For wadding I use a thin overpowder card, bore buttered felt cushion, another thin card, then shot, and another thin overshot card.
I've tried more powder but the patterns tend to get blown.
I cannot get fiber wads down past my choke constrictions, so tend to rely on flexible wad materials.
I played with pillow ticking and paper shot cups but found no advantage over time lost.
I cannot use steel, or hevishot in this shotgun. It patterns lead beautifully but I can't use it hunting my area.

Last edited:

Andy54Hawken

Reactions
My experience has been the opposite of yours...my using of traditional shooting and loading methods , have worked for many of the percussion shotguns that I have owned....both original and replica guns.

Will have to ask around and give this some thought for a better answer.
Andy

Edit to add....
Fiber wads , much like patches , round balls and the like...are different , from different companies.
As in...one company's 12 gauge wad may measure .740...the next maybe .742 or .745
Maybe try a 13 gauge wad which is around .720....

Last edited:
OP
drstrangelove
Reactions
Please check your hunting regs in the use of the 209 primers, wouldn't want you to run affowel of Johny Law! I know several states have specifically banned the use of the 209's, so better check!
Interesting you brought this up. I was tearing down my Pedersoli this evening and discovered one of the 209 nipples has been damaged... so now it’s back to hotshot #11 nipples. My only previous FTF were with 777 and other substitutes, but never with real FFg or FFFg, and I have some now.
I’m GTG.

OP
drstrangelove
Reactions
I’ll share. It’s no secret. Skychief is a well respected member of a Muzzleloading forum. He found that loading in this order creates a drafting low pressure zone behind a heavy fiber wad that keeps the shot pattern together out to 50yards... and does NOT donut the pattern like a fiber wad under the shot does.
Powder
Nitro card
Shot
Thin overshot card
1/2” olive oil soaked wet fiber wad on top (messy, use rag)
I have heard this is only a noticeable difference on cylinder bored guns.

My gun is fix choked .705 right/.695 left. These constrictions make pushing in a fiber wad (or nitro card for that matter) very difficult unless 13 and 14ga fiber wads are respectively used, but then they won’t be a tight fit in the 12ga bore. I don’t want an undersized fiber wad in the second barrel coming loose on the first shots recoil and advancing down the barrel creating an airpocket and obstruction.

That’s the nice thing about 12ga thin cards... I can taco them in and straighten them out with the ramrod. Felt is no issue. And they stay put.

I will continue to experiment.

UPCOMING EVENTS

Free Firearms Safety Course Webinar (I-1639 Compliant)
Virtual Webinar (Zoom). Registration Link in the course description.
Washington, USA
Rimfire Challenge Feb 13th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA
Rimfire Challenge May 8th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Paul A Martin Historical Guns
    5.00 star(s)
    Great shop, selection and atmosphere
    One of the better firearm shop experiences I’ve had, Paul is very patient and helpful. Definitely going to be a repeat customer even though it’s...
  • Adaptive Firing Solutions
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Service! A+
    Steve is a very nice guy and very easy to work with. I've done business with him a few times and will continue to.
    5.00 star(s)
    Great guy!
    Steve is a great guy to deal with!
  • HighLine Firearms
    5.00 star(s)
    Nice Home Shop
    Had what I wanted at a good price. Messaged me when in stock.
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Service
    Steve is an excellent guy to deal with. After looking at some Form 4 items at another dealer who didnt seem interested in my money, i emailed...
Top Bottom