JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Just rewatched this video of a homemade rifled muzzleloader utilizing shot loads. Seemed pretty effective at close range. Any reason to think a shot load would be damaging to a modern inline muzzleloader barrel?

I wouldn't wonder so much about damage...as I would wonder about the rifling messing up the shot pattern.
Sometimes when shooting shot through rifled arms..the shot pattern is very open or has holes.
AKA as a doughnut pattern.

If it was me....I'd use shot for smooth bores...the way is intended...no matter if the firearm was a modern breech loader...or any sort of muzzle loader.
Andy

Last Edited:
Just tossing this out here.....
The title the fella used in his video...is , well.....wrong.

The firearm in the video is not a blunderbuss....no flared muzzle and most if not all historic blunderbuss's were smooth bore.
And yes I know that the gun in the video is newly made...and not a copy of anything historic.
What he has is a percussion rifle.

However...
If you are going to talk about firearms , make a video or what have you :
Get your gun terms correct..or you may end up looking and sounding wrong at best or like an idiot at worst.
Andy

Last Edited:
If the shot is hard enough and the rifling slow enough, rifling leading shouldn't be too bad. Patterns are going to be worse than cylinder due to rifling. Either way, your typical 50cal is essentially a 410 payload, and as such is not going to have much of a useful range.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top