JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Up for sale is a mixed parts working Black Powder Rifle. The stock appears to be a reproduction. The Barrel is from the late 1800's with very strong rifling, fitting snugly in the stock. Stamped on the barrel is J.H. Johnston Great Western Gun Works Pittsburgh, PA. The lock, hammer, butt plate and trigger guard are from an M1861 Springfield. Overall it is a very solid and simple rifle. Hammer and trigger function properly with a little play in the trigger that does not affect normal operation. I'm guessing .44 or .45 cal percussion, but not a 100% sure. Feel free to contact me with any questions.

IMG_9333.JPG IMG_9334.JPG IMG_9336.JPG IMG_9335.JPG IMG_9337.JPG IMG_9338.JPG IMG_9342.JPG IMG_9340.JPG IMG_9341.JPG IMG_9343.JPG IMG_9351.PNG

Interesting rifle / rifled musket....
If we are at all close to each other , I'd love to take a closer , more detailed look at this and help make some further ID...Or at least add to the confusion....:eek::D

Great Western Gun Works was started in 1866...Founded by James H. Johnson.
The last listing I have of the company is in 1923.

It seems as if they were dealers in surplus arms right after the War of 1861-65...their ads state both Manufacturer and Dealer in Fine rifles and shotguns...
Many firms like this were started after the war and sold firearms of their own manufacture along the lines of a "Kentucky Rifle " , surplus firearms and firearms made from surplus parts to folks headed West or to those who just needed a rugged , but inexpensive arm.

I have a collection of original muzzleloaders , a large library at home and have been into muzzleloaders for over 20 years...while I am not an expert...I do know a bit about them.

In any event...nice price and good luck with your sale.
Andy
Edit to add...
Sent a PM with a trade offer...

This is a cool gun. Andy might say he's not an expert, but he gives a lot of good advice, so that's a great offer. I have yet to see him be wrong (Andy, you can tell your wife I said that) ha ha GLWS

Great Western Gun Works was started in 1866...Founded by James H. Johnson.
The last listing I have of the company is in 1923.
Brings back a memory - I remember reading something about this company several years ago.
This rifle is interesting in that it is a .44 (or .45) caliber barrel in a .58 caliber stock. First of this I have ever seen.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top