JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I was gandering at an auction and I can across a black powder combination gun (cape setup 45/20). Quite frankly I'm lusting over it a bit. Made by L. Jordans, who upon initial research may have the first name Levi. And there is some sort of partnership with "Adams"

this has lead me to the realization that combination front stuffers seem to actually be kinda rare, as for at least what I have seen I typically see what I would call "dual purpose" types of guns in this category. Trade guns and Fowlers come to mind.

Does anybody have any information on the commonality of these types of guns or even a bit of history on the manufacturer?

Last Edited:
Not specifically to the firearm you refer to, but there were a number of makers who thought such a thing would be a good idea, and later you could find numerous drillings in multi caliber/gauges to suit just about any need! There were also hybrids, the LeMat pistols and rifles being kind of pop culture of their time, but none the less, cool and quite useful! Sam Colt and Elijah Root played around a little with this idea, but ultimately abandoned it for the more profitable revolver trade. As always, our good friend @Andy54Hawken should know more about this and may be able to answer more specifically.

Not specifically to the firearm you refer to, but there were a number of makers who thought such a thing would be a good idea, and later you could find numerous drillings in multi caliber/gauges to suit just about any need! There were also hybrids, the LeMat pistols and rifles being kind of pop culture of their time, but none the less, cool and quite useful! Sam Colt and Elijah Root played around a little with this idea, but ultimately abandoned it for the more profitable revolver trade. As always, our good friend @Andy54Hawken should know more about this and may be able to answer more specifically.

I have an ungodly obsession with combination guns of every variation so there is no such thing as too much information or sidebars in my world.

that said it's not something I have come across before outside some....ahem... pricy one offs.

sad they fell by the wayside especially the Cape layout.

I too have a bit of an affinity for "Doubles" and a .45/20 sounds pretty slick to me! I do have the remains ( Salvageable) of a Lemat Revolving Rifle with it's 20 gauge barrel, some day, I hope to restore it and be able to shoot it, but ether way, its a nifty piece of history quite rare! And, as always, the Colts are "My Thing" so when ever some one finds any type of revolving rifle, they always get excited and have to call me! That's how I got the Lemat! :cool:

I too have a bit of an affinity for "Doubles" and a .45/20 sounds pretty slick to me! I do have the remains ( Salvageable) of a Lemat Revolving Rifle with it's 20 gauge barrel, some day, I hope to restore it and be able to shoot it, but ether way, its a nifty piece of history quite rare! And, as always, the Colts are "My Thing" so when ever some one finds any type of revolving rifle, they always get excited and have to call me! That's how I got the Lemat! :cool:

you have a revolving LeMat rifle?!?!?! That is freaking awesome, and exceedingly rare! If it wasn't for the Internet I wouldn't even know about the LeMats existence let alone its rifle brother! (Forgotten weapons has introduced many guns to me)

I did put a bid in on the double gun as it seems to be a perfect blend for what we hunt out here in the PNW. It of course will also feed my addiction for combo guns...of which I actually own Zero...hopefully soon to be remedied!

Here in the States black powder combo guns aren't that uncommon....
That said they mostly show up in the Mid West and Eastern parts of our country.

Many foreign visitors who toured our west carried combination guns , Sir William Drummond Stewart and George Ruxton come to mind.

Here is mine :
Its mostly an old one.
The barrels , stock and furniture are original , from the 1850's or 60's...the locks are modern replacements.
Caliber is .44 rifled with a fast twist ( lead .44 / .429 caliber diameter bullets work well ) and 12 gauge.
Walnut stock.
DSC06561.jpg

DSC06564.jpg

DSC06570.jpg

Here in the States black powder combo guns aren't that uncommon....
That said they mostly show up in the Mid West and Eastern parts of our country.

Many foreign visitors who toured our west carried combination guns , Sir William Drummond Stewart and George Ruxton come to mind.

Here is mine :
Its mostly an old one.
The barrels , stock and furniture are original , from the 1850's or 60's...the locks are modern replacements.
Caliber is .44 rifled with a fast twist ( lead .44 / .429 caliber diameter bullets work well ) and 12 gauge.
Walnut stock.
View attachment 774267

View attachment 774268

View attachment 774269

I hadn't seen any come up for sale before this, and had no idea of their commonality. Definitely an interesting history on them. Hopefully I can win this auction and have my own!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top