JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I call the kid taking my order at Mcdonalds Sir, if he is doing his job well and politely.

Why should it matter if a person has or does not have power over you. That's kind of my point. Being professional, respectful, courteous etc. These things should never be associated with groveling or submission, in my opinion, but to each their own I suppose.

Well, first off... a cop isn't likely to spit a luge in your food, or rub your Big Mac on his junk before he puts it in that little Big Mac box.... :D

I think you had several things going for you. Presently military active. You have CHL. You conduct was excellent. Military status and recognition is what you earned. And, the officer was a good guy. On the other hand some officers, white in some parts of the country might be overtly prejudice--due to their own illness and personality disorder. If a white or black guy is pulled over and fronts the officer as if the driver is a tough guy--prejudice or not, that citizen's conduct will get him or her in hot water due to the driver's conduct and not the color of their skin--at least I hope. Obviously, you set a good example of what to do and the officer was respectful and "wanted" to do you a favor.

I have only been pulled over once, while carrying. I was driving home with my wife, I had just picked her up from work, downtown, and was on 213, about by the Red barn, or so.
He pulled me over, and came over to the car. He said, going a little fast tonight are we?, and I said, yeah, sorry about that, I just picked up my wife from work, and she had a tough night, at which time my wife chimed in with a little, shall we say, discourse, and the guy looks at me winks and says, just slow it down a little, and walks off. Didn't even ask me for my license.
Clackamas County Sheriff. Awesome guys.

"Hello officer. Yes sir. No sir. I will sir"... has gotten me out of more speeding tickets than I can remember.

[It worked with my hard asz drill sergeant cuss you up one side & down the other old man too when I was a kid. ;) ]
The golden rule treat others with the respect as you would like to receive.

only one time I have had a cop be an AHOLE. He did not get any respect bubblegum he was obviously. I also do not try to use yes sire or no sir. It has just been beat so far into me that everyone gets it.

Courts have ruled its legal for the cops to disarm for safety while contacting someone. See the Terry decision for a start on that. Honestly being a douche during a stop does you no good, and the courts have already upheld the constitutionality of such actions.

Yes, because the Second Amendment says, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, except by a government agent." Sheesh.

Just because a court says something, does not mean it makes any sense. Disarming somebody certainly qualifies as an infringement! Hell, it doesn't even make sense from the safety point of view. If a cop asks a cop killer to hand over his gun, what do you think is going to happen? Better to leave the gun in the holster.

Cops don't respect people. That is the problem. Even when they are being polite, they are doing something we wouldn't tolerate from anybody else. It's a bit much for them to want respect back.

However, I do try to make any contacts with cops get over as quickly as possible. I think it is possible to be too submissive as well as too argumentative.

When the revolution finally arrives, cops won't last long, because they do not help and people are getting fed up with them. They will be looking for a safer line of work.

How to compose myself during a traffic stop with my cc on me was a question I had for sometime. I recently was pulled over for not wearing my seat belt. When the officer approached I kept my hands on the wheel in plain site. As he asked for my license I explain that I had my CHL and had my weapon on me. His response was "Thank you for telling me, as long as you don't reach for it we won't have an issue." As we were talking he began asking me what I carry and if I liked it. It was a very professional contact. I took my ticket and everything was fine. In fact I gladly paid the fine as the $90 was well worth getting the first traffic stop over with. I feel now I will be more calm knowing everything will go fine.

I agree that there is no reason to be disrespectful. They have a job to do and lets face it if you did something wrong (Like me not wearing my seat belt) then you should except the results.

Not wearing your seatbelt may be stupid or careless; but since only you pay the price in an accident, it is not "wrong".

I don't have much use for "nanny state" regulations. I prefer being treated like a grownup.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top