JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Finally decided to give in and buy an X-frame S&W, I have been wanting one for years, but hate the idea of internal locks. Anyways, I picked up a 460 XVR today, and it is just massive, it makes my 8 3/8" Raging bull look small.

I opened it up and took a look inside, and it is obvious that S&W has been cutting a lot of corners. "Economically" made parts, and poor machining marks galore, along with poorer fitting than older S&Ws. Luckily, for some odd reason, the lock just disappeared on mine. :s0131:

Range review coming soon.

Here are some pics;

IMG_0236.jpg
IMG_0239.jpg

Next to a 4" N frame;

IMG_0242.jpg
IMG_0243.jpg

.45 acp vs .460 S&W;

IMG_0244.jpg

Congrat's, I had the same model. The hiviz front sight is awsome. Now you can reload 3 calibers: 45lc, 454, 460. The hornady 200 gr. sst's are a blast to shoot and somewhat affordable. Also L frame grips work on it. Enjoy.

Welcome to the dark side. You'll love it, although I don't recommend a 200 round string. You'll appreciate its size when you fire it. I can tell from your many posts on here you won't be one of those YouTube videos where the XVR ends up behind you!

Unless you have a very large set of hands, the "L" frame grips help somewhat.

Bob

Welcome to the dark side. You'll love it, although I don't recommend a 200 round string...

Thats my big bore delima. Fun to shoot unless you don't shoot too much.

Personally, I'm recoil friendly and love shooting my .500 S&Ws. Then one very fun day I fired 50 rounds of 440 grain cast through my 4" revolver and bruised the palm of my hand! Surprised the heck out of me since in the past 55 years I've probably had fewer than 10 bruise!

It was a couple of weeks before I felt like shooting my .500 again :(

It helps if you reload. Last time I crunched the numbers, pulling the trigger of my .500 S&W cost $2.70 for off the shelf cartridges and $0.58 in materials for my hand loads.

Well of course I reload, but what bullets are you using? When I was looking at components, it seemed that most .50 bullets were at least $.50 each. Also I liked the fact that .45 colt and .454 brass was far cheaper :D

Montana Bullet Works
<broken link removed>
My spreadsheet says my last batch of 500 pcs was $146 including shipping which comes to $0.29 each.
My $0.58 figure includes buying new brass from Cabelas and using it 5 times.

Well of course I reload, but what bullets are you using? When I was looking at components, it seemed that most .50 bullets were at least $.50 each. Also I liked the fact that .45 colt and .454 brass was far cheaper :D

I have no direct experience, but, some have said that accuracy suffers when firing the shorter cased rounds. I'd be interested in your findings. The comments were made in relation to the .460 and the .44 mag.

I'm sure it is still "minute of milk jug", though.

Bob

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top