JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Better Things, Or, Doing Versus Talking

"Don't focus on the big picture. You can't fix it. But you can fix your own situation locally. You can meet the good folks next door. You can meet the good folks raising their own food and selling it at the farmer's market. You can meet the good folks owning the micro brewery and hosting the beer festivals. You can meet the guys testing the handloads at the range and swapping numbers. You can lane coach the couple struggling to zero that new AR while you're at that range. You can talk to like-minded people on the radiowaves, like I do with my friends. You can go to church, even if it's not 'your' denomination, just to meet people who live and do in your community. It doesn't do anyone any good to simply read what they want to hear, channeling some useless venom that doesn't do anything other than cause more of a problem- thus I stay above it, as do the wise. More often than not the stuff is written by people who can't do, hence why they complain."

Yeah, thanks!

"...Get out there and do it, whatever it is. Stop making it a hobby and start making it a lifestyle. Take care of home and hearth along with your close ones, and don't forget those close by..."

Author brings up some good points. I think in some way or another we have done that here in many threads. It is up to each individual to do the things on there end. I know that I could do more with my neighbors but then there are some of them that I just don't like. o_O

The one thing that I have found myself doing more and more is surrounding myself with people that want the same things as me. I am tired of having people around that whine and cry over stupid sh!t and then do nothing to change it.

Thanks for sharing ATC

Agree....It's easy to complain, tougher to fix... but if your around those that are looking to move in the same direction solving those problems, it seems much more attainable.

I've lived in the same abode for 37yrs. At one time we had a solid corps of neighbors who had each other's backs. At one time we had a former combat Marine, an Army Viet Nam vet, a big, powerful Army brat outdoorsman and myself. All heavily armed, at the time! Jumping forward attrition has arrived. One dead, one moved away, age and health issues for the rest. The two of us left don't have nearly as many firearms, etc as in the old days.
Now, and always, we actually work hard at meeting, greeting and befriending neighbors. It's well worth it, now that I'm experiencing a serious illness, I have offers of help, food and yard work from literally every home on the block! I trust these folks but would not necessarily rely on them!

Last Edited:
This very subject is basic to being a self sufficient/responsible individual. It's not about rubbing two sticks together (giggity) and batoning your precious through some wood. It's about everything and how you have set yourself up, physically and mentally to prevail.
This git stumbles stiltingly along trying to convey just that.. I kinda like him and follow him after a fashion..

This git can make and do anything, and he does so dandily in all facets of his life.. but I don't think he "camps" or anything much but he'd put any "survivalist" to shame.. he can make anything with nothing.

This very subject is basic to being a self sufficient/responsible individual. It's not about rubbing two sticks together (giggity) and batoning your precious through some wood. It's about everything and how you have set yourself up, physically and mentally to prevail.
This git stumbles stiltingly along trying to convey just that.. I kinda like him and follow him after a fashion..

This git can make and do anything, and he does so dandily in all facets of his life.. but I don't think he "camps" or anything much but he'd put any "survivalist" to shame.. he can make anything with nothing.

Water into wine, too? o_O

:D

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class