JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I usually practice shooting while standing because it tends to be the position I'm in when game is sighted. However, I always sight-in my rifles with a shooting rest to ensure repeatable accuracy. And it has to be a good shooting rest, a rock, one that is solid and stable to eliminate variations in accuracy. Is there a "best" shooting rest that you would recommend? And let's keep top cost under $1500 (since some can get quite ridiculous indeed, usually for competition), though many can be had for far less. Shown below are eight shooting rests just to give a visual of some more popular ones. There are many more out there, of course. If you have a particular shooting rest that you favor, and maybe that just means sand bags, please share which one and what you like about it.

1654842693625.png

Caldwell BR Rock is about my min.
You can add bearings, stops, or tables to make them fit your needs. Personally I only add a bag to fit what ever gun I will be shooting. I also spring for their hard case to carry it in. With your budget you will have plenty left over for a good rear bag.
https://www.explosivepowersports.co...MIkNfxpbOi-AIVYRitBh1vigHdEAQYASABEgLmePD_BwE

I have also used a Sinclair but it is quite a bit more money with little more performance. DR

For the budget minded (me), this works pretty well on the concrete benches at my local range.
In conjunction with a rabbit ear rear bag.
I use the Harris Bipod in the field.

This is a can o worms question as this is a very subjective thing.

I'd say it depends on what type of shooting you normally do.

If you never shoot on a bench, don't go crazy trying to shoot in a way you never will.

It sounds like hunting is the typical way you'll use the rifle, so my recommendation is to use bags.

Reason for bags:
It's not stupid easy like some rests can be. It makes you work to produce good results. It might make you a better shooter standing.

If it is only to test loads, get a really solid full rifle sled. These can remove the shooter from the equation and are made to hold the gun in the same way each shot with very little user input. Then practice more standing.

Competition models are great but they are designed for a different type of gun than a hunting rifle. They have various adjustments and such that you won't really need if you are only trying to see what the load is capable of. They also leave some shooter input, IE they usually are used with some form at rear bag or support so they aren't %100 for the type of thing you might be looking to do. If you had a $8000 28 pound benchrest gun, it might be a different story.

Whatever you choose, I'd recommend not using it more than you have to. I've gone from shooting standing and have spent considerable amounts of time shooting off a bench and similar. Swapping between the two is getting blurred these days and the longer I'm away from one type of shooting the worse I get at it.

This is a can o worms question as this is a very subjective thing.

I'd say it depends on what type of shooting you normally do.

If you never shoot on a bench, don't go crazy trying to shoot in a way you never will.

It sounds like hunting is the typical way you'll use the rifle, so my recommendation is to use bags.

Reason for bags:
It's not stupid easy like some rests can be. It makes you work to produce good results. It might make you a better shooter standing.

If it is only to test loads, get a really solid full rifle sled. These can remove the shooter from the equation and are made to hold the gun in the same way each shot with very little user input. Then practice more standing.

Competition models are great but they are designed for a different type of gun than a hunting rifle. They have various adjustments and such that you won't really need if you are only trying to see what the load is capable of. They also leave some shooter input, IE they usually are used with some form at rear bag or support so they aren't %100 for the type of thing you might be looking to do. If you had a $8000 28 pound benchrest gun, it might be a different story.

Whatever you choose, I'd recommend not using it more than you have to. I've gone from shooting standing and have spent considerable amounts of time shooting off a bench and similar. Swapping between the two is getting blurred these days and the longer I'm away from one type of shooting the worse I get at it.
Excellent points Reno. One clarification, however, is that this post was not intended to be a recommendation for me personally, but an opening for all to offer their perspectives on shooting rests, which they prefer, and reasons. Sorry if the way it was worded gave the impression this was a one-man show, that was not the intent and hopefully this clarification will keep it open for all perspectives. Responses like yours, which go deeper into how you use rests in different situations, are most helpful.

Best is an elusive target, prone to an individuals needs and fancy.
I have a Hyskore 30207. I like It mostly because it facilitates everything I shoot, long mags, leavers, pistols and traditional rifles. Usually multifunctional things end up compromising all things, but I found this one to fit my use, and does a pretty good job.(for me) when set up, much less hassle than having a bag variety, especially with pistols.. Still, you must do your part, nothing here like mounted in a slab of marble with a remote Trigger..

1654874539236.png

Excellent points Reno. One clarification, however, is that this post was not intended to be a recommendation for me personally, but an opening for all to offer their perspectives on shooting rests, which they prefer, and reasons. Sorry if the way it was worded gave the impression this was a one-man show, that was not the intent and hopefully this clarification will keep it open for all perspectives. Responses like yours, which go deeper into how you use rests in different situations, are most helpful.
Understood.

I'll add some personal preferences with that said.

I usually shoot with a bipod and rear push bag. As I have been shooting NRL 22 and that is the most common practice.

I use this shooting on paper too.

If I had to name a best overall for the average shooter it would be a lead sled.
1654875960771.jpeg
These lock the rifle in and add weight. In my opinion it's very similar to what manufacturers use to test guns. Minus some form of electronic trigger actuator.

It may well be that a lead sled or similar is the ultimate for removing the shooter from analyzing loads for accuracy, but I have never been able to get comfortable using them. Too awkward, and frankly, in the field using a Harris Bipod or pipe insulation on the pickup window for a rest isn't that far from my cheap benchrest setup. There are few things more satisfying than stealing a relay from more serious competitors that spent more for their rest than I spent on my rifle and rest combined.

Understood.

I'll add some personal preferences with that said.

I usually shoot with a bipod and rear push bag. As I have been shooting NRL 22 and that is the most common practice.

I use this shooting on paper too.

If I had to name a best overall for the average shooter it would be a lead sled.
View attachment 1218528
These lock the rifle in and add weight. In my opinion it's very similar to what manufacturers use to test guns. Minus some form of electronic trigger actuator.
I'm so old I can barely lift my rifle. Toting around that monstrosity would break my back. :)

After a lot of research, I decided on a Bald Eagle rest with a rear rabbit ear bag. I mainly use it for load development. I've got some squares of 3/8" neoprene cut to go under the rabbit ear bag so I can fine tune the rear elevation. The only thing I didn't like was the fine tune knob on the windage which I fixed using a YouTube mod.

Rest.jpg

I shoot a lot of hard kicking antiques. And I have seen a few destroyed stocks from using a sled with too much weight on them. Its like firing the gun against a concrete wall. So I don't use them and I don't suggest them to others. DR

I shoot a lot of hard kicking antiques. And I have seen a few destroyed stocks from using a sled with too much weight on them. Its like firing the gun against a concrete wall. So I don't use them and I don't suggest them to others. DR
Yes, that is a very important point that doesn't get highlighted enough. That's why a rear rabbit ears design, like the Target Shooting 2000 L.P. In the OP graphic, seems to be a more intelligent design for a rest than, for example, the Caldwell Lead Sled.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top