JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ever hear of a thing called a clearcut? Been around Wayerhaueser land recently? Quite often a good place to find deer is on the side of a clearcut that you are not on!
Yep, there is a lot of places where shots, and your sight distance, is better marked in feet than yards, but that's not the only possibility. Unless that is how you want it.
I've not racked up an impressive list of kills and the ones that I have could have been handled with a 30-30, but I missed an opportunity for a very nice buck on the other side of a clearcut many moons ago because I ran out of gun. Maybe with lots of practice and a different set of sights I could have made that 300+ yard shot with my old Winchester 1894, but I doubt it. I prefer not to limit myself that much and I've moved past the point of having a safe full of guns to suit my mood that day.

30-06 for me.

That's why it works so well. It works because it covers so many bases. 100 yards, 300 yards... Just sight in a good 150 grain Soft Point Boat Tail Sierra Spitzer and you're "off to the races".

Anything light n semi auto with big hole in bbl perfect w oregon brush n clearcut gun. Levers great but more practice for faster shooting. Autos are no brainer n less recoil. I like the new browning lightweight stalker in 308. Kill anything in oregon with horns or claws.
Or if just deer an older ruger 44mag carbine with peep

I like the 30/06. Good for deer, elk, bear, cougers. Readily available ammo that is often on sale. Rifles in 30/06 are often on sale too. Not to mention easily found used rifles too.
If I could only have one rifle. It would be a 30/06:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top