JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm in the camp of magnum haters, for medium game hunting anyway. More velocity and louder booms do not a marksman make.

If your talking cartridges for deer only an not much more than football field range then I'm a big fan of the old turn of the century, 20's and 30's rounds; 35 Remington, 30-30 Winchester, 25-35, etc. I'm also a huge fan of 6.5 mm rounds if longer ranges may be in the mix; .260 Remington, 6.5 Swede.

I personally use a '03 Springfield sporter in .30-06 with a rear aperture sight but both deer and elk are in the mix for me; I load 165 grain Nosler BT for deer and 200 grain Nosler Partition for elk.

To: USMC-03
I notice you mentioned Winchester 25-35. Do you know where you can buy 25-35 ammo?
I found one box @ Keith's about 4 years ago. The Winchester website says they manufacture it once a year; but, it never makes it to the gun shop shelves. You can find it once in a while at gun shows for around $75 a box for 50 year old cartridges. I'm not into re-loading, but I may be forced into it.

My biggest issue with a lot of standard belted magnums is many come with longer barrels to make use of the larger powder charge. It can make for an unwieldy rifle in tight quarters.

I have downloaded magnums for hunting in timber but I cant get around the long barrel thing unless I make a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I once had an M700 mountain rifle in 7mm-08. It had a fixed 4x Leupold mounted on it. It would be my nomination for perfect west coast deer rifle.

25-35 is a hoot of a cartridge, My favorite round is a lead Flat nose about 100 grains with a gas check, behind about 8-9 grains of unique and a primer. My cost is under twenty cents a round. That is also allowing generously for the energy involved.
Silver Hand

I notice you mentioned Winchester 25-35. Do you know where you can buy 25-35 ammo?
I found one box @ Keith's about 4 years ago. The Winchester website says they manufacture it once a year; but, it never makes it to the gun shop shelves. You can find it once in a while at gun shows for around $75 a box for 50 year old cartridges. I'm not into re-loading, but I may be forced into it.

25-35 is a hoot of a cartridge, My favorite round is a lead Flat nose about 100 grains with a gas check, behind about 8-9 grains of unique and a primer. My cost is under twenty cents a round. That is also allowing generously for the energy involved for each round.
Silver Hand

Honestly I haven't seen it in stores for at least a couple of decades; but then I haven't really looked either. When I was 13 I hunted deer for the first time with a very early 1894 Winchester in 25-35 borrowed from my step-grandmother; wish I had it today. Probably went to one of her worthless 60's hippy reject sons...

I agree the wound can be significant, but the good thing is they drop where their hit. I cant see getting to far a distances in the brush around here. Good point Hertic.
I hit the deer at about 75 yards - through the neck (I was young and didn't know any better) and it took off like a raped ape. I was either good or lucky, because I took another shot while it was on the run and hit one shoulder and went out the other, and it piled up right there. That bullet destroyed all the meat around where I hit it for about a foot in diameter or more, and same thing with the neck.

It was a small light deer and the 7 Mag was way overkill. Like I said, I think the projectile was too lightly built for those velocities.

I hit the deer at about 75 yards - through the neck (I was young and didn't know any better) and it took off like a raped ape. I was either good or lucky, because I took another shot while it was on the run and hit one shoulder and went out the other, and it piled up right there. That bullet destroyed all the meat around where I hit it for about a foot in diameter or more, and same thing with the neck.

It was a small light deer and the 7 Mag was way overkill. Like I said, I think the projectile was too lightly built for those velocities.

Yep, high velocity and standard cup and core bullets can result in messed up meat.

300 win mag or 7mm rem mag-No matter - It is the projectile that makes the difference, try loading and killing with this at close or long range. Amazing what projectiles rated for there correct velocities [175 gr 7mm 0r 180 gr .308 over 3000+ fps @ the muzzle] can do when it comes to expansion, not causing blood shot at any range. 'Ask me how I know'

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/45...meter-180-grain-jacketed-soft-point-box-of-50

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...meter-145-grain-jacketed-soft-point-box-of-50
Silver Hand

clearcuts are everywhere in western Oregon, plenty of opportunity for long shots.

the 7mm Mag is a good overall round but ill agree its overkill for deer. The round excels at delivering adequate penetration on larger game like elk at longer distances, generally not a problem with deer at any distance....

No! No! No! Haven't you heard. .. hunting "western" Oregon means you will only make 42 yard shots in the brush, a 30-30 is more than adequate and a 22lr has killed more sasquatch than any other anythings. There I covered the ignorant banter. I still believe in the 43 Spanish!

My biggest issue with a lot of standard belted magnums is many come with longer barrels to make use of the larger powder charge. It can make for an unwieldy rifle in tight quarters.

I have downloaded magnums for hunting in timber but I cant get around the long barrel thing unless I make a permanent solution to a temporary problem.

I once had an M700 mountain rifle in 7mm-08. It had a fixed 4x Leupold mounted on it. It would be my nomination for perfect west coast deer rifle.

If you are serious about hunting carry a short rifle wile you are in the brush. I always liked a 35 caliber rifle with Speer spire point 250 grain pill, for anything up close and personal, Elk, Bear, [Cat, saw a few never shot one because I did not want to] and deer.

Then when you know you were not dogging bear behind the dogs or what ever a guy might shoot from the door so to speak, hunting elk or deer at 600+- yards or up close, settle in on a 24'' barrel weapon knowing that you gave up about 200-300fps dropping two inches off your 26'' barrel length to keep the twigs from interfering.

If you are healthy the brake is about 24''.

If in the brush, just in case and after all your practice, that 600 yard once in a life time shot presents it's self! You will enjoy the ballistics advantage of feet not inches between the .308 and the .300 Win Mag.

Minimum bullet drop variation between the two using a .436 coefficient and a 180 grain pill at each rounds max velocity is plus sixteen inches @ 500 yards in favor of the .300 Win mag. The difference in foot pounds of energy is 960 foot pounds, about a 50 grain .223 round at point blank.

So when it comes time to be placing a long shot the extra few inches help, as does the calibers powder capacity. Every inch of barrel length lost is about a 200 FPS lost in long range accuracy and energy.

Accuracy is diminished by every lost inch, affected by wind air density, dust, bullet drop and what ever else.
Silver Hand

300 win mag or 7mm rem mag-No matter - It is the projectile that makes the difference, try loading and killing with this at close or long range. Amazing what projectiles rated for there correct velocities [175 gr 7mm 0r 180 gr .308 over 3000+ fps @ the muzzle] can do when it comes to expansion, not causing blood shot at any range. 'Ask me how I know'

Back then there wasn't much ammo along those lines, the mag being still somewhat new - the only real alternative was reloading, and even then you didn't have much choice, and I dislike reloading for belted mags.

To each their own. I don't care for the mags unless I feel their power is needed, which IMO is rarely the case this side of the Cascades.

Back then there wasn't much ammo along those lines, the mag being still somewhat new - the only real alternative was reloading, and even then you didn't have much choice, and I dislike reloading for belted mags.

To each their own. I don't care for the mags unless I feel their power is needed, which IMO is rarely the case this side of the Cascades.

I often have people say a 308 isnt an elk cartridge. I mention .308 boolits are identical regardless of headstamp. They look at me funny. They say the 300 winny is a 500 yard elk slayer. I say then the 308 is at least a 350 yard elk slayer give thise velocity ranges. They continue to look at me funny. Math....it works.

I often have people say a 308 isnt an elk cartridge. I mention .308 boolits are identical regardless of headstamp. They look at me funny. They say the 300 winny is a 500 yard elk slayer. I say then the 308 is at least a 350 yard elk slayer give thise velocity ranges. They continue to look at me funny. Math....it works.

The 308 7.62x51mm NATO is a man killer good for +-600 yards.
Silver hand

My father (now deceased) has taken more elk with a .30-06 than most of those "experts" on what is good enough for elk have ever seen. The .30-06 is only slightly more powerful than the .308. My grandfather used a .30-30 for elk and deer and bear to feed his family during the depression.

It is all about shot placement and knowing the effective range of the firearm.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top