JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So far the consensus is for a Remington 700 or Ruger M77 mkll in 30-06 with a Leupold VX-2 3-9x40. What about a 7mm-08 or .270, are they big enough for elk and bear?

The Ruger 77 would be on my list. Here's how it would look:

1. Winchester model 70 featherweight
2. Tikka T3 superlite
3. Ruger m77 mkII or Hawkeye

Secondary list of inexpensive rifles:
1. Savage trophy hunter
2. Thompson Center venture

I'd also go with 30-06. Skip the Leupold and pass the Burris FFII 3-9x40 with ballistic plex reticle...

I guess that would all depend on your taste in rifles.
I like older bolt actions in older cartridges.
They have been around long enough to be called older 'cause they still work just fine.
Nothing wrong with a used Winchester M70 , Remington 700 , 721 , Ruger M77 , No.1
( I know its not a bolt action ) etc...
.7x57mm , .270 , .308 , .30-06 , .45-70 are among my favorites.
I also prefer iron sights over a scope ... but a fixed 4x works good for me as well.

My all time favorite rifle for almost anything you might mention is my Hawken rifle copy in .54 caliber.
So I would suggest to all new hunters , ask to try and handle as many rifles as you can and see just what fits you and how you hunt.
Andy

Last Edited:
I've heard nothing but good about the .270 and 7mm-08. Right now I'm looking at optics and I'm looking to put together a base, rings and scope combo that makes sense for my rifle. I want a very tough, reliable and weather resistant scope that matches my rifle, the 30-06 cartridge and my hunting environment. Any insights on that would be appreciated.
Did you look into the Burris I mentioned earlier?

DeanMk said:
If it were me and it had to be a bolt action, I would do a Remington Model 7 (synthetic) in 7-08 with a Burris 1.5-6x.
Guranteed to drop anything in the state and it won't feel like a lead weight after a couple of hours of hikin' in the hills.

Dean
P.S. - Since the time of the earlier post I linked to, I've discovered an option for a Manlicher stock for the Model 7, so my preference has now changed to the full stocked version.

Did you ever change the scope out on that model 700. I am a leupold fan for the most part and thought I would relay a recent experience with some Leupolds in a hunting environment. Last day of this years Montana Mule deer hunt my buddys kid still needed to notch his tag. Sun was going down and there was a good shooter
Below the ridge due West about 250 yds or so. Kid couldn't aquire the deer in his newer vx2 leupold scope on his rifle because of glare from sun. Dad hands kid his rifle with older vx3 leupold scope and it was game on. The lens coatings on the 20 year old vx3 were superior to the coatings on a newer vx2. Just some food for thought. Given the choice I would save longer and spring for a vx3 or vx3i as the new model is called. Happy hunting.

OK, not all here will agree with me but.... I do have some rifle experience and have owned most from factory to full custom ultralights in so many calibers/cartridges, seeking the elusive perfect gun. Recently I came to realize one can really only shoot/hunt with 1 rifle at a time and something odd has happened. I find myself attracted to budget utilitarian rifles and now see the rifle as more of a tool and less of a collector piece. It dawned on me that actually going hunting is far more important than owning a rifle collection- well at least for me and I will soon be selling several Safe Queens.

The truth is, I see few perfect rifles and can find things I do not like about most any gun. For instance take a Remington 700. I have to change the stock, add a Timmy trigger, add a Tubbs Speed Lock firing pin, a Holland bolt stop spring and that's just for starters! Lately the less I have to do to a factory hunting rifle, the more I like it. So based on my experience for hunting Western Washington- deer, elk, bear... I would recommend taking a look at:

1, a Mossberg Patriot Synthetic plastic stock/blued. It's lightweight- around 6.5lbs, has a handy 22 inch barrel, a fairly decent LBA trigger, smooth bolt, is accurate and shoots. The Patriot has a flush fitting removable box magazine that still permits top loading like a dream. Best, some models sell for under $300! I own 3! A 300 WM, a 338 WM and a 375 Ruger. I just picked up the 338 for some $285 and as picky as I am... these Patriots are really growing on me. Pretty tough, utilitarian and get the job done. For hunting Western WA I would get one in 300 Winchester Magnum. Even with its 22 inch barrel, you will be easily able to shoot out to 400 yards if needed, but still have a handy light rifle in the timber/thick stuff. A 30-06 would work too, but the 300 WM will give you just a bit more Whammy and range if needed. Ammo is available and easily found. For the scope I would recommend a 1 piece medium height DNZ Game Reaper mount around $60. This mount is light (3oz) and perfectly machined and will not scratch your scope tube if directions are followed. With the DNZ mount, I torque all screws to 30 inch pounds, as recommended at their website. Now for the scope... I've tried them all and keep coming back to Leupold... for the money still the scope to beat. I would recommend their newer VX2 3-9X40. Amazing scope under 11oz! Super bright and lightweight, around some $300 and better than their older VXIII line. If on a budget and you want the best scope for the Money, get a Nikon 3-9X40 or 3-12X40 Buckmasters II. Amazing optics for under $150 at Wally World! My 3-12X40 weighs 13.6oz on the dot and has the cool Nikon BDC reticle. That's pretty light for a 12 power scope.

I used to insist on stainless guns, but now just spray my metal as needed with Rust /BBQ-Stove paint.
2, other rifles to consider... more expensive than the Patriot look at the Browning X-Bolt around $900. There is nothing that needs to be done to this gun as a hunting rifle. Lastly, if you like even lighter rifles than the 6.5lb Patriot, take a look at the Savage Lightweight Hunter in stainless/synthetic in 270 Winchester. It's just over 5 & 1/2lbs, but feels solid in my hands. Around $580 online if you shop around. The long action only comes in 270, but a fine round for deer, bear and elk. I carry my rifles far more than I shoot them, so for me light is a good thing- without going too light. If I had to pick just 1 rifle to hunt here in Washington St, it would be the Savage.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top