JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Jaime, remember the "I saw a .270 bounce off an elk's hide at 300m in the dark?" post? I'm wondering if Guano (isn't that bat poop? maybe batbubblegum crazy?) is the same guy.
Ahh yes, we were all "enlightened" that day for sure!!

After that I took my .270 out and burned the stock and turned the barrel into a tomato stake. (<--NOT really ;) )

A 375H&H for elk? GFTO. To each their own I guess, but seriously? You've been hunting for how long, and have decided that you need a howitzer to put an elk down? Are you just messing with the OP's mind, or trolling?
Elk are dangerous game don't-cha know! (<<--My best Sarah Palin impersonation)

I suspect somebody has read too many stories about the hazards of hunting during the rut.
Remember guys, during the rut, if you don't challenge them they won't fight ya, they'll just try to screw ya!
:s0140:

So after considering suggestions ranging from .17 HMR to 50 BMG I bought a used Remington 700 ADL in 30.06. I followed the suggestion of posting a wanted ad and the second reply was for this Rem. The rifle has a synthetic stock, came with a cheap scope, a nice sling, one box of ammo and a carry case. I paid $350 and the guy I bought it from offered to buy it back if there were any problems. I'm sure I could have paid more or less, but I'm happy and want to get it to the range. I'll post some pics of the rifle and targets after the range. I really learned from the suggestions and the rationale behind them. Thanks alot!

Thanks DS, your recommendations were solid. I hope to put some meat on the table and share the experience with my children. At least the ones that aren't appalled by the idea of killing an animal, butchering and eating it!

I have an old 30-06 I have used for years good for everything in the North West. That said it is not for small game. this last year I used a 762x39 for deer hunting and got a spike. Seems like every one is getting bigger calibers as the years go by, when I hunted deer when I was a teenager a 100 years ago it seems I used a 22 hornet last year it seemed that everyone had 270 and 308. I think if you have a center fire caliber and rifle you like use it. Most of my deer taken in Oregon have been 200 yards or less.

With a properly placed shot, they are enough for elk or bear. Years ago I purchased a Remington 770 rifle/scope combo from Bi-Mart for $279.99. It was in .270 Win. and that scope dialed the rifle 1.25"-3 shot groups at 100 yards. I'm sure a better shot than I could have made it 1". That is Remington;s bottom model, but it put the bullets in the same place EVERY time. I believe you can still get the Remington 770 package in '06 for less than $300 at Bi-Mart or Big 5. I traded that .270 away and it was one of the few regrets I have in all my trading experience. It was SO accurate, especially for $290 after the background check. Kip.

****** WARNING *******

NO ...... NO ....... NEGATIVE ..... NEVER EVER EVER buy a Remington 770 even if you life actually does depend on it. It is the most horrible worthless rifle I've ever had in my life. I got one back in November as a gift from my wife. I liked the idea of the detachable magazine. But, that's about it. The scope was a horrible worthless piece of crap. The bolt was gritty and felt like there was gravel in it. It would catch and bind 1/3 of the way in and then again before it engaged the lugs. The action is mostly plastic and the bolt actually locks into the barrel and not the action. The stock is a pure plastic piece of crap. It would crack if dropped from a couple feet. The bolt stop on mine didn't work at all. The bolt just pops out every time the action was cycled. But, from all the research I did on the net, it appears that is the most common thing to break on the rifle. The next issue is with the actual bolt handle. It is something like cast aluminum that is poured around a thin steel pin. The inside is steel and the outside is some kind of pot metal. Many many people have fired a round, and then went to cycle the bolt only to have the bolt hand snap off while the bolt is still locked into the barrel. The bolt handle is just stuck into the body of the bolt by way of a little hole and then soldered in place. The design can't take any force at all. The magazine on mine was a pain in the butt to get out of the rifle. And getting it back into place was even worse. If anyone remembers anything about the 710 debackle several years back. This rifle is just a reworked 710 in a cheap plastic stock. The trigger is horrible. I wouldn't even fire the rifle. I sent it back to Reminton and demanded a refund. I figured if I were to fire the rifle, it would be mine forever. If Remington wouldn't have taken it back, I would have sold it for what ever I could have gotten out of it ...... even at a loss. But, Remington finally gave me a full refund 3 months later. This is a huge Remington abortion that never should have happened. Don't be fooled. You are better off buying any used Remington 700 site unseen from a pawn shop. Never ever ever buy a 770.

On a positive note. I used the money from the 770 and added 300 more dollars and bought a Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 and so far it is the most accurate stock rifle I've ever shot. I put another 200 into it and bought a B&C Tactical Medalist stock to replace the houge overmold (which I'll sell for 60 bucks plus shipping to the first person to PM me) and it is now my favorite rifle.

Now get out and shoot it! Get an animal or two and then maybe get all crazy experimenting with 6.5 and .338 calibers... Maybe reloading... Next thing you know you'll be thinking you want to hunt with an AR, maybe 6.8spc... Selling plasma for primers... Wait! Stop! Quick, sell it back before it's too late!

I was going to recommend a Savage in .308 or 30-06. Maybe a Marlin XL, heard good things about them. More than enough for anything in WA.

You'll be happy with your purchase. I started hunting with a Rem. 700 chambered in 30.06. Used that gun for 11 years then sold it to a friend when I got into bow hunting. Still regret letting that gun go. Bought a browning a-bolt a couple years ago when my dad started hunting again also chambered 30.06. Between the two rifles I have taken a bunch of big game animals from deer to bear and can say without a doubt that your 30.06 has enough poop to take out anything your going to run into in washington.

Good choice! Don't give the price another thought, you were in the right range. You're gonna have it a long time and getting just what you want without a lot of hassle and risk is worth a few bucks too.

Here's why I think you should get a Remington 700--resale. You might find out that all you want to do is hunt West-side blacktail, so all you'll need is a 6mm. Or you may find out you want to hunt black bears in Hells Canyon, in which case a 30-06 is a little underpowered. What I'm getting at is, go buy a 30-06 and go hunt and figure out what you like to do. It's easier to get your money out of a Remmy, IMHO, than a Savage or a Weatherby. In reality, once you get your rifle dialed in and your pet load figured out, the chances that you're going to get a chance to wang away at game next fall are pretty slim--so something you can shoot for a few hours off the bench might be the ticket as well. I have a 300WM and it's a bit harsh after a while on the bench. For the first ten years of hunting, all I used was a 308, you might want to consider that.

So after considering suggestions ranging from .17 HMR to 50 BMG I bought a used Remington 700 ADL in 30.06. I followed the suggestion of posting a wanted ad and the second reply was for this Rem. The rifle has a synthetic stock, came with a cheap scope, a nice sling, one box of ammo and a carry case. I paid $350 and the guy I bought it from offered to buy it back if there were any problems. I'm sure I could have paid more or less, but I'm happy and want to get it to the range. I'll post some pics of the rifle and targets after the range. I really learned from the suggestions and the rationale behind them. Thanks alot!

Aaron,

Congrats on your new(?) purchase.
I'm sure it will work very well for you.
For a scope, 3-9x is very common, regardless of where you live, but a 2-7x is ligthter and will work for just about any shot you're going to encounter in the NW.
If your eyes are real good you may even be able to get away with 1.5-6x.
Nice thing about that one is the low magnification setting is real good for woods hunting (like we used to do out in Dewatto), because it will allow you to keep things that are within a "reasonable range" in focus, while allowing you to see through the brush.
If it were me and it had to be a bolt action, I would do a Remington Model 7 (synthetic) in 7-08 with a Burris 1.5-6x.
Guranteed to drop anything in the state and it won't feel like a lead weight after a couple of hours of hikin' in the hills.

Dean

Remington 700's are awesome. I have a BDL in .270 and my dad has an ADL in .243. He dropped a black bear on the spot with his .243 and he used my .270 to drop a beautiful 4x4 in Montana. I've put 3 consecutive rounds through the same hole with my .270....Couldn't be happier!!!

I've heard nothing but good about the .270 and 7mm-08. Right now I'm looking at optics and I'm looking to put together a base, rings and scope combo that makes sense for my rifle. I want a very tough, reliable and weather resistant scope that matches my rifle, the 30-06 cartridge and my hunting environment. Any insights on that would be appreciated.

Leupold. Local (Oregon), quality product and a great warranty.

There are other good options as well, but that is the one I am biased towards.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

*** Browning X-Bolt Composite: http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=023B&cid=035&tid=201&bg=x

*** .308 Winchester: http://JustBecauseIAlwaysWantedOne.com

*** Leupold VX-2 2-7x33mm: http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/vx-2-riflescopes/vx-2-2-7x33mm/

*** Talley Scope mounts: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/414916/talley-lightweight-2-piece-scope-mounts-with-integral-1-rings-browning-x-bolt-matte-low

*** Hornady Superformance 165 grain (SST & GMX): http://www.hornady.com/store/308-Win/

I've heard nothing but good about the .270 and 7mm-08. Right now I'm looking at optics and I'm looking to put together a base, rings and scope combo that makes sense for my rifle. I want a very tough, reliable and weather resistant scope that matches my rifle, the 30-06 cartridge and my hunting environment. Any insights on that would be appreciated.

Leopold VXIII Say like a regular 3-9 X 50 ( I like the big objective,brings in more light). I just bought a 3.5-10 X 50 with a 30mm tube for my 270. I may never need all the water proofing and durability,but why not?
I must confess that I got a steal when I ordered it.It was a $900 scope.
Can't say what she sold it to me for.

I am not an optics expert by any stretch. But I have had cheap scopes for 22s and ARs .The guns that don't kick. They are just cheap in every way. Sure they work,but nothing like a nice Leopold VXIII
Nikon isn't too bad,but the 30mm tube nikons are as much or more than a Leopold with less warranty.
Last thing you want is to glass a B&C bull and you scope is fogged up or the cross hairs are loose

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top