JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Rocky, there has been much written here about trap guns and if that is what you are looking for, great! I have shot a great deal of trap in my day with duck guns, since I was primarily a waterfowl hunter and that what I was practing for. The point is that you can be very successful without a specialized shotgun.

Since you now know the difference between a rifle and shotgun, I think, a ways back, there was some freak in the Guinness book of world records that shot like 400,000 1 or 2" blocks of wood consecutively in the air with a Nylon-66.
you can do it!

Obviously, the poster doesn't know the difference between rifle and shotgun. It is up to us to welcome a new person into the shooting sports, and help educate that person. Giving them crap over things they don't know reflects poorly on us. I have been shooting competitively for many decades, and there is more I don't know, that there is stuff I know.

People willing to learn, and ask for help are the sorts of people I enjoy being around. They are far more interesting than "know it all's".

We need to welcome this person, not be jerks, or make comments that make him/her feel unwelcome to the shooting community.

One of the main issues you'll face is to determine the pattern and point of aim from YOUR shotgun. You must pattern the shotgun to figure out where you're hitting. I'd guess that all trap ranges have a patterning board. Have one of the old timers help you out. They LOVE to get newbs into the game!!!!

If you get an inexpensive 500 with the correct choke/barrel and regular stock you'll be having fun quickly and cheaply. I'm shooting with a $200 Remington 870 and I'm hitting 21-23 out of 25. It's NOT the gun it's the shooter! Spend the money on ammo and get to the range rather than spending a ton of money on the shotgun.

you said rifle for trap shooting, so....;)

01.jpg

but yeah, just get a long barrel for shotgun you already have, then move on (semi auto or over and under).

Shut about what? I was being constructive/helpful with my prior post since it's true. yo mouf

It was a general statement not directed at anyone in particular, there was no direct quote to you or anyone else. Although I am sure if it were read by those who insulted rocky16 they would know just who it might have been derived from. The statement was posted with exactly that in mind. Nothing else.
So, Certaindeaf do you have a guilty conscience?
Silver Hand

It was a general statement not directed at anyone in particular, there was no direct quote to you or anyone else. Although I am sure if it were read by those who insulted rocky16 they would know just who it might have been derived from. The statement was posted with exactly that in mind. Nothing else.
So, Certaindeaf do you have a guilty conscience?
Silver Hand
It was that my post immediately preceded your posit. That's why I responded to you. And no, I know what a rifle and a shotgun is and will take efforts in educating a fellow shooter.

^^^ seems good natured ribbing to me. Why so sensitive? Rocky doesn't seem offended!

I guess you might say I felt his pain for the moment and thought it needed addressing as the individual rocky16, is from NY 'My home State' and this is his second post on a web site that can teach him so much. Shooting sports can be a great source of recreation even back there.
The drive alone, to the Blue Mountain range was an adventure for me as an adolescent as was every learning experience. None of us was born to knowledge we all have to obtain it one way or another. Poking/ bullying/Making fun of an individual is not my way of teaching.
Silver Hand

Mossberg 930 Autloader is what I use. For an autloader with real wooden furniture, the cost was just under $600 after taxes. It has served very well for trap shooting as well as shooting waterfowl. If you want to remain proficient at Trap Shooting, you need to practice more than once a month, and throw more than 100 clays per session. You'll have a bruised shoulder the first couple of times, but you'll become used to it, and eventually get to the point that teflon97239 has stated.

Fortunately a boxes of clays are extremely cheap.

rifle for trap shooting :D

anyway, totally agree with keeping weapons manipulations consistent so if you have a defense-500 then get a sporting version of the same gun (mossberg 500's are EXTREMELY RELIABLE)... although i will say that from a purely comfort standpoint i also 100% agree with others that posted about over-under double barrels being a cadillac to shoot very comfortably.... don't say cost isn't a factor because unless you want to spend over 10k on a gun with gold and ivory inlays then yes cost is a factor.

I used to shoot a lot of trap, eons ago. I began with an old Savage 30 pump ( my duck gun ) which was an inexpensive shotgun in its day. Ran it until the bolt broke and it more or less blew up in my face. Heres my plug for good shooting glasses. I am left handed so the gas hit me right in the face. I then bought a used Model 12 trap gun and shot that for years until I quit trap shooting. You dont need a super expensive gun, but they are nice to have. Bragging rights and all that. I developed a 21 average but never got as good as many.

Hi,
I recently was introduced to trap shooting and I enjoyed it a lot.. I had fun with my Mossberg 500 tactical shotgun but of course hit nothing...I would like to buy a shotgun for trap shooting. what is the best rifle/ shotgun for trap shooting 12 gauge preferred?? should I buy over under, double barrel or pump? Price is not really a problem I am really looking for some options that I can feel to see if they fit me. Thanks for any input..

Please define what a shotgun is and what a rifle is.
Personely I use a 12 gauge Remington 870 or a 1910 Baker Bastiva double 12. Tried shooting clay pigeons with a .22 couldn't hit nothin.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews