Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best rifle for trap shooting

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by rocky16, Sep 29, 2013.

1. rocky16

rocky16 new york New Member

Hi,
    I recently was introduced to trap shooting and I enjoyed it a lot.. I had fun with my Mossberg 500 tactical shotgun but of course hit nothing...I would like to buy a shotgun for trap shooting. what is the best rifle/ shotgun for trap shooting 12 gauge preferred?? should I buy over under, double barrel or pump? Price is not really a problem I am really looking for some options that I can feel to see if they fit me. Thanks for any input..

2. Certaindeaf

Certaindeaf SE Portland Well-Known Member

An AR-15 points particularly well.

3. CamoDeafie

CamoDeafie Albany Well-Known Member

heres a simple idea. get a 28" vent rib dual bead barrel for your Mossberg 500.
    you already have the Mossberg 500; you know how it works, and how it shoots...youd be more versatile with an extra barrel just for trap....do you have a proper shoulder stock on the thing, or is it one of those PGO shotguns?

Fast Eddie, Sgt Nambu, orygun and 5 others like this.
  4. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

5. CoastRange57

CoastRange57 Western Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

If you use a rifle and connect, you are damn good. I have switched out the barrels on my 500 for years. Used it for defense, and trap.

I got the chance to pick up a nice vintage 20 gauge Winchester semi automatic at a gun show last year for $ 225. I have been shooting trap with that and love it. That 20 gauge is a lot easier on an old mans shoulder.

6. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I had to do the double-take on the title to this thread.

But seriously, I didn't realize New York allowed things that go bang.

BoonDocks36 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Least expensive way to go! I started my son out with this rig 24 years ago, still in use! Good luck! BTW look up the definitions of rifle and shotguns. You are already catching some scarcasim here!

P.S. Welcome to the site!

8. rufus

rufus State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

9. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

Get another Mossberg 500 with a 28" vent rib and shoot trap with that shotgun. You need an elevated comb on the stock for trap which you won't have on the tactical stock. Just get a different, inexpensive shotgun and have fun.

Another benefit, you'll be running the same pump as your tactical shotgun and you'll have spare parts for both. Trap will teach you to run your gun well and accurately.

10. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Beaverton, OR Active Member

The Mossberg 500 is fine for trap shooting. I have a 20ga, and it came with 2 barrels, an 18" and a 28", something like that. When I want to use it as my bedside gun, I have the short barrel on it. When I go out to shoot clay, I put the long barrel on it. That's all you really need to do right now, just get a barrel suited for trap shooting. And a shoulder stock if you are just running a pistol-grip, the pistol grip won't help you at all, ever!

11. carracer

carracer Nampa, Idaho Active Member

One of the better rifles for shooting trap would be the Browning BAR according to Ad Topperwein.

12. JackThompson

JackThompson Valley of the Demons Well-Known Member

I can tell you what I've heard at the trap club from the curmudgeons, and what I've read at shotgun world.

Winchester Model 12 is the #1 most used trap gun statistically.

My personal preference is brownig (Or Browning clones) A5 model.

The humpback lines your eye up perfectly with the bead every time.

13. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

As you couldn't hit anything with the 500, i wouldn't go looking at other guns yet. Read that fitting a shotgun thing and pay attention to the LOP and check your eye dominance.

Our group of pigeon hunters is very mixed, and by far the easiest to hit clays with is the 500 and the 870 pumps in the group. Start hitting them, then look for something different if you want to.

14. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

You stated that price wasn't really an issue - you might rethink that if you see the prices on some of the masterpieces out there - I recall seeing some of the Perazzi doubles in the $180K + range, though they did have some nice lesser offerings that were "olympic grade" starting around $4K

15. semperfi68to70

semperfi68to70 South Salem, Oregon Well-Known Member

By now you know that you do not shoot trap with a rifle. I am also wondering about the use of word "Trap" vs. Skeet or Sporting Clays or any other clay bird game. The shotguns you would use for each of those games are quite different.

Trap has five stations you shoot from starting at 16 yards away from the house and moving back to 27 yards (also called handicap trap). The birds are moving away from you and you should be using a full choked 12 ga. shotgun with a 28 or 30 inch barrel. The type of action is up to you. A 20 ga. gun doesn't work well if you are shooting actual trap. I have owned and shot a lot of different trap guns, but my favorite is a Remington 1100. The gas action takes up a lot of recoil and if you are shooting in a 200 bird tournament. I prefer the field stock to the trap stock, but that is just personal preference.

Skeet has eight stations and two houses, a low and a high house. You can use any gauge gun for skeet from 12 gauge to .410 and it is just a matter of skill as to how well you do. The gun should be short barreled with wide open choke. There are two chokes called skeet 1 and skeet 2 but an improved cylinder works well. Most serious skeet shooters use an over/under for a bunch of different reasons. I use a Winchester Model 101 pigeon grade bored skeet and skeet. A quick second shot is critical for the doubles portion of the game.

If I had to choose just one gun, probably a Remington 1100 with two barrels or maybe compromise with a 26 inch barrel and interchangeable chokes. It is a great sport, have fun.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
  16. rocky16

rocky16 new york New Member

Thank you to all for the advice, I will not bother to answer the sarcastic remarks.. I did get some guidance here and I appreciate that.. I would prob be looking to buy a new shotgun rather than change the barrel on mine. I like mine for the personal defense aspect but like I said with the 18.5 barrel and tactical breecher choke it is difficult to hit anything in trap shooting unless I catch it right out of the house. I did hit a few times though..So I gather it is just a matter of preference with double barrel vs pump???

Thanks again.

17. F2CMaDMaXX

F2CMaDMaXX West of Portland from England Bullet goes where now? Staff Member Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

From what i can tell, it is a lot of preference until you get to the *very* high end competition stuff.

Personally i prefer an O/U, but that's just me, and i don't take it all that seriously, i know i pay through the nose for the privilege of that configuration, but to me, i just like the uniqueness and having two different barrel chokes.

Many, many people will and do deride me for this, but i use a Remington SPR310, which is a Russian gun made for Remington, it was cheap, it doesn't look as fancy as the more expensive guns, but it shoots great and it's what i'm willing to pay. If i was to replace it, which i very nearly had to do recently, i go for the CZ Redhead Deluxe, 2.5x the price of the Remington (which i can't get anymore) but it's still under a grand as well as far higher quality by all accounts.

18. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

rockey16 - Is the Blue mountain Range still open? I know there are quite a number of shooting ranges just over the Bronx line. Back in the late 1960s, My father was a range master for Blue mountain and it was always very reasonable to shoot there, for some it was a long drive.

If I were in your position I would go out and swing your shotgun around with several barrel lengths. Back in the day I liked a 28'' improved modified with a raised rib for skeet. Then a 32'' full choke for Trap. The thing is with today's screw in chokes you might just find the perfect barrel length and just change the choke tubes to suite your game. Enjoy the shooting sports. The best shooting ranges I have ever experienced were in NY State and in Westchester County the wealthiest County in the United States of America, and which I was a resident at the time.
    Silver Hand

19. semperfi68to70

semperfi68to70 South Salem, Oregon Well-Known Member

You're welcome. You aren't breaking many with your gun because the choke is so wide open. Most guys use 7.5 or size 8 shot for trap and it just spreads out too quick with a wide open tactical choke. You would do much better with your gun on skeet with #9 shot. If you are just going to shoot trap there is really no need to spring for a nice over and under. Lots of really good trap shooter use pump guns or even single shot trap guns like the BT99. Skeet requires a second shot on four stations so over and under guns are more popular because of the quick second shot plus if you fire your lower barrel first there is much less muzzle jump and you get on your second target quicker. Guys that do that are pretty serious shooters and unless you want to seriously compete none of that is necessary. There is nothing wrong with your Mossberg, it just isn't made to shoot trap. If you had a longer barrel and a tighter choke you would break more birds.

Screw the sarcastic answers you got; have fun and enjoy yourself.

20. teflon97239

teflon97239 Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Super expensive or el Cheapo, 2 shotguns of similar length and choke are both just tubes that spit gravel (and slugs). Of course the furniture and fit of the weapon can affect your personal accuracy, but there's no reason you can't shoot clays VERY efficiently with a Mossberg 500.

Do you have a couple of those red plastic throwers and a buddy with another shotgun? Compete, encourage and learn from each other. It just takes repetition. 50-75 rounds minimum whenever you go. Variety helps too - high, low, left, right, two at a time with both throwers. Practice your weak shots (falling fast to the left for me).

I got a little canvas ammo pouch at Andy & Bax to hang on my belt, holds a box of shells so I can keep stuffing in fresh ammo between shots without looking. Stand off at different angles (and make sure you don't shoot your pals). Instead of saying "pull" with your weapon shouldered, let your buddies throw when they're ready, even while you're reloading. Learn to move quickly and get a bead fast (last time I checked, no one here hunts birds that take off and fly directly away from you only when you're all prepared). If you barely hit a clay and break it in half, shoot the falling pieces. Finishing off a wounded pigeon with 2 more fast shots just plain feels good.

Hell, I've been desperate enough to throw my own before. Not fun or fulfilling, but good for the reactions.

Repeat a few hundred times to find your groove and then keep the skills current. Eventually no pigeon in the vicinity will be safe from you. At some point you'll realize you're smoking 90-100% of your targets on a good day. Do that several trips in a row, and then ask yourself if a more expensive shotgun will make you that much better. Who knows? You might suddenly like your old Mossberg a lot more.