JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I wouldn't say completely unbiased, he is clearly an AR fan, but it is a pretty good comparison for the beginner.

Yes and that's who we are attempting to help here. Since the subject has been continued.. for the OP here the 300 yard ballistics comparisons are not relevant

If the AK is such a great platform, why has one never been used to win a major 3 gun competition?

Because it's not modular and covered with rails and such for all the goodies that win matches. Yes you can add some but the AK is not as ergonomic for most folks. It still gets the job done, especially with frangible bullets. Survival shooting is not a 3 gun match with tuned AR15s and clean, perfect conditions. If one has a problem with recoil there's always the AK74 5.45

One more thing about Nutnfancy's review.. you can easily learn the difference in feel when the AK runs home on an empty chamber.. the sound and feel is quite different vs the AK chambering a round. No, it's not as "ergo" as the AR15 but it's not that big a deal, IMO

And there are new peep sights for the AK if you don't like the traditional notch and post AK design. Both weapons systems benefit greatly by addition of a good holo sight

I'm down.... come to my range... outdoor, up to 600 yards and no round count rules

This isn't a peeing match, it's about what's best for a newbie girl and her family. It might be fun and for all we know you're da bomb and 2 x as fast as us with your chosen weapon.. it does not matter for the sake of this thread

INteresting
I would have thought that a good deer rifle would be a better solution - AT least it will get you food and some defense.
Get in a pretty std caliber , Get some ammo, good scope, and you can survive a long time for little money.

Do you really need AK47 or AR's :
Be sane about your decision and try to understand your real purpose of the tool is.

Mostly, I would add, is lots and lots of ammo.... As a family, my partner and I decided that before we bought a new gun (not counting the young'uns BB gun!), We would both be very very proficient in each purchase, and have enough ammo in prep storage for emergencies.... practice and ammo seems to beat the **** out of new guns for us, any day..

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top