JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Boots: PaleCheese is on the money with having two pairs of hunting boots for two different applications. One heavy set for the heavy hunting trips, and a lighter pair for the lighter excursions. I have never been disappointed with Danners, and with even moderate care, even the "high-dollar" Danners are actually far more economical than buying a boot of cheaper cost. I have a pair of Danners (they are most like the Rainforest, but 24 years ago, they called them something else). These boots are (as I said) 24 years old, and they have been to Alaska four times, and to Montana in October and December each year since 1987. They are still completely waterproof (with a heavy application of melted Huberd's grease at the beginning of each season, and a quickie application of cold Huberd's in camp maybe twice during the season). They are, as Gilletetip mentioned, of older manufacture, but a close buddy has a set of Rainforests that are about eight years old, and he is enjoying the same satisfaction as I have realized. From elk chasing in the Bob Marshall Wilderness to Dall Sheep pursuit in the Brooks Range, they are still going strong. Take care of them at least as well as your rifle (get the mud off them after the trip, grease as necessary), as they are at least as important as your rifle. Rocky Outbacks were my light boot for years, but they only go about 4 years with hard hunting. My light boot now is the Danner Jackal. Six years on this pair, and I will buy a new set in July. They get silicone spray instead of Huberd's as they are a glued-sole boot and not oil-tanned like a heavy Danner.

Insulation: go for the lightest Thinsulate offered in the boot you have chosen (or no insulation in the light boots). Invest in Polypropelene light socks (they are much like silk in the fabric), and a good pair of real wool over one pair of Poly will keep your feet warm even if you cross a creek and water comes into your boot from the top. The Poly will almost instantly dry even in a damp tent. The Poly also eliminates any possibility of a blister, no matter how hard and long you walk. In heavy snow or wet vegetation, wear your gaiters. If I hunted 75% of the time in heavy snow, I'd go for a pair of Schnees. Again, "expensive" at the outset, but economical in the long run. Elk guides in Montana swear by Schnees. They can be rebuilt more than once, and the guides are realizing 10 years or more out of them with heavy, heavy use and abuse.

Knives? DoubleCanine nailed it with Alan Warren for a locally made custom knife. Alan knows his steel, and creates beautiful pieces that will draw a comment from partners when you pull it to dress your kill. Buck has also researched steel correctly, and for a production knife, they can be easily sharpened, and hold an edge through a whole elk. Gerber uses a harder steel, harder to sharpen, but just might go for a couple elk in one season if you forget to sharpen. Schrade is also a good production knife with steel that you can work with. I carry a sharpener in my daypack, and I will quickly and easily dress the edge of my Warren or Schrade halfway through an elk just to get back that razor edge that makes things go so much easier. Cutting manila rope for horsepacking or whacking branches to make a good field-dressing site will take more out of an edge than animal hair. Meat and tissue should not affect any good knife steel to a noticeable degree.

You don't need a big knife for any big game hunting. I like a drop-point blade of about 4 inches for most work. In a pinch, I fully dressed and quartered a whole elk with the tiny blade of my Leatherman. Serrated edges are nice for rope cutting, but sharpening is problematic. Avoid them for animal jobs.

Good call on the Danner boots, Spitpatch.
I'd completely forgotten about those.
Very well made, as you have already attested.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Related question...

When I was a teenager, in the late 70's, my father and I both got a pair of hunting boots from Sears.
The boots worked very well and my dad never had to buy another pair.
We used actual goose grease to lube 'em up during the off-season (my father reliving his childhood, but I'll be damd if it didn't work!).
One thing about those boots that I remember, is that they were touted as being made from Kangaroo hide.
Anyone happen to know who made those boots for Sears?
They were pretty good boots!

Dean

As of roughly two weeks ago, the Danner outlet had both the Rainforest ($179) and the Combat Hiker ($146) in the "seconds" area. These prices are about half price of "first-quality boots." I picked up a pair of each, with the "defect" being so small I can barely see it. The Rainforests have broken in quickly; the Combat Hikers required no break in. Both of these models are made in Portland, and the quality appears excellent.

Danner are not the boots they used to be maybe because some of them are made in China I don't have any friends wearing them any more they leaked or squeeked too bad. But boots are important and good fit and wear a liner and wool sock and get them big enough to add super feet or some other kind of good insert most boot makers use a cheap insert.

As to knifes I use several one of my favorites is cheap and a folder its called a Gerber Gator and I have done a whole elk but I do carry a small and cheap crock stick for touching up the knife if I need to. I also have a skinning knife and I carry in my pack.

Buying a expensive custom knife would make me neverous I have lost a few in the past.

I have had many boots also. Danner (pronghorn's caulked, arcadia's) Redwings, and Rocky's. They all have there pro's and con's. Durability, break-in, comfort, construction. You could go on and on. Like the others have said, go to a store that has a lot of selection and try to get a feel for them as best as you can.

i have never had a problem with georgia boots, simple and well made

as for the hunting knife, i like my old kershaw hunting set, came with a large fixed blade, a smaller fixed blade, and a medium folder, has never failed me and the only time i had to sharpen in the middle of skinning is when i was skinning a buffalo.

Danner boots fit well, my opinion still pending. I have had the toe sole glue seperate on two pairs. The new design of the boot toes seems to potential eliminate this problem.

Knives: Bark River, Falkniven F1 or more a tacticool knive - ESEE

Danner are not the boots they used to be maybe because some of them are made in China I don't have any friends wearing them any more they leaked or squeeked too bad. But boots are important and good fit and wear a liner and wool sock and get them big enough to add super feet or some other kind of good insert most boot makers use a cheap insert.

I have bought 2 pairs of danner boots in the last year. Both are waterproof (tested during hunting season & wear 1 pair daily). Both of mine are pronghorns. I highly recommend them.

Feet are comfortable all day and they offer great support.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top