JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm researching for my next deer rifle I will get a aftermarket stock but what would you choose a Ruger American or a Savage Axis II I'm between a 270 wsm a 270 or a 6.5 cm let me know your experiences with either good or bad TIA

Bone stock .308 Ruger American w/Leupold 4-12x40 VX-II....

104F1115-C585-4FD0-96CB-8E2CC8DC0D77.jpeg

9/28/2013, 1.5 hours into opening day... one shot, one kill. Shredded the heart... right where I was aiming for. ;)
8FB29CDB-47B0-42A6-BBE3-AA71D5A93E67.jpeg 011822CC-2C38-485E-9414-87D0082D3CD3.jpeg 0CD342D4-8BC7-448B-9B24-C947A5294FA7.jpeg

Last Edited:
I would say any Savage 10/111/112/116 series are all top shelf for starters, and from there the options open up with the price point! I have seen pre season deals on the Savage 111 Combos for under $400 out the door, usually with a $50 mail in rebate! These have been shipping with Nikon scopes lately, thats a big step up the ladder against the others near that price point, and Savage are known for outta the box accuracy that cannot be beat for even twice the price!

What is your budget? Can you afford a Tikka T3? IF so, that's the be all/end all for top shelf rifles at a decent price, buy once/cry once and have a rifle that shoots better then all the rest!
What are you going to be hunting year after year? Most every thing can be taken with a .270 Winchester with no fuss or drama! Want more utility and more potential as you gain skills, .30/06 is impossible to beat and you cannot go wrong with that choice! Plan to step into the world of Big Elk? a .270 is about the minimum I would consider for off the shelf ammo! Are you a hand loader? I would avoid the magnums if you don't reload, the cost and availability of good ammo is going to be prohibitively expensive! If you cant afford to shoot it often, it does you no good to carry and use as an ethical hunter!

I would say any Savage 10/111/112/116 series are all top shelf for starters, and from there the options open up with the price point! I have seen pre season deals on the Savage 111 Combos for under $400 out the door, usually with a $50 mail in rebate! These have been shipping with Nikon scopes lately, thats a big step up the ladder against the others near that price point, and Savage are known for outta the box accuracy that cannot be beat for even twice the price!

What is your budget? Can you afford a Tikka T3? IF so, that's the be all/end all for top shelf rifles at a decent price, buy once/cry once and have a rifle that shoots better then all the rest!
What are you going to be hunting year after year? Most every thing can be taken with a .270 Winchester with no fuss or drama! Want more utility and more potential as you gain skills, .30/06 is impossible to beat and you cannot go wrong with that choice! Plan to step into the world of Big Elk? a .270 is about the minimum I would consider for off the shelf ammo! Are you a hand loader? I would avoid the magnums if you don't reload, the cost and availability of good ammo is going to be prohibitively expensive! If you cant afford to shoot it often, it does you no good to carry and use as an ethical hunter!

It would be for deer I currently use a 7 mag but I'm looking for anther that my wife and 12 year old can use too neither of them mind kick at all they shot my ole 30-06 with out a care in the world

My vote goes to the savage trophy hunter xp. That's all my buddy buys and they are accurate. Like Ura-Ki said, they come with a Nikon scope (3-9x40, I believe). I'd check one out and see how they fit your wife and son. I'd opt for the good ol 270 winchester. More ammo selection and cheaper to shoot than the wsm.

Last Edited:
Ruger American 6.5, .308 etc.

Here is my very FIRST outing with my 6.5 CM at 200y with factory ammo. I could have done better I know.
Shot these yesterday.

E5006F38-A401-4386-871C-64412A11E33F.jpeg

American Ranch in 5.56 @ 100y.
The American series rifles are very capable. Ruger did it right when they made these.
4DCCAEE9-CFF3-49A1-8B7D-307BE59F6546.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top