JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ruger American 6.5, .308 etc.

Here is my very FIRST outing with my 6.5 CM at 200y with factory ammo. I could have done better I know.
Shot these yesterday.

View attachment 492207

American Ranch in 5.56 @ 100y.
The American series rifles are very capable. Ruger did it right when they made these.
View attachment 492208

Beautiful groups my friend. Is the Ruger American Ranch a "budget rifle combo", as the OP is asking about those in particular. I'll do a research and see later on, but if those are a budget rifle with optics then damn that's good. Earlier when I posted my vote, I was in the garage working on one of my model 70's, so I couldn't post pics of groups shot with my buddies "budget rifle combo". His is a Savage trophy hunter and this is how it shoots:

kEHR3uH.jpg
[5 (5) shot groups shot during load development. Different charge wt's and an average of .682 moa...]

I hand load for this rifle and know what it can do. When I was working up loads for it a couple years ago, I could not make it shoot more than 1 moa with any load I tried. Here's the biggest group and charge wt:
Q981aFJ.jpg

Here's the smallest 5 shot group and the charge wt. we decided on for his rifle:
pC9K7nO.jpg

I believe back then, he paid $350.00 for his budget combo gun with a pretty good 3-9x40 Nikon rifle scope on it.. We don't want to talk about the Ruger american he had to send back for repairs.. However, as with anything, that was the luck of the draw. He later sold that rifle and swears he won't buy another.. Most American's (with the exception of that one and 1 rimfire model) I've seen have been pretty good though..

Last Edited:
Beautiful groups my friend. Is the Ruger American Ranch a "budget rifle combo", as the OP is asking about those in particular.

General speaking regarding the Ruger American series of rifles. There are "combos" available that have optics mounted. I have almost as much into my optics as the rifle, I'm selective on what I mount up for glass.

Of the many Americans I've shot, helped friends sight in and personally owned, I can only speak ill of one thing and it's not their accuracy. (The box magazines are lacking). This opinion is from the Predator/Ranch versions through to their basic level ones and down even to the Rimfire lines.

YMMV

General speaking regarding the Ruger American series of rifles. There are "combos" available that have optics mounted. I have almost as much into my optics as the rifle, I'm selective on what I mount up for glass.

Of the many Americans I've shot, helped friends sight in and personally owned, I can only speak ill of one thing and it's not their accuracy. (The box magazines are lacking). This opinion is from the Predator/Ranch versions through to their basic level ones and down even to the Rimfire lines.

YMMV

Yes I agree. That's the biggest gripe on the American's. However, the rimfires don't have that problem. As they use 10-22 magazines. I love my 22WMR because of that. Big kudo's to Ruger for using that rotary magazine on the cheaper rimfire line. Now if they would just design a centerfire magazine along those same lines. I'd buy them...

There are multiple worthwhile choices.

The Ruger American is an acceptable choice for an economical center-fire rifle.

I've shot multiples. I have experienced very good accuracy, with perfect function. And they are cheap.

Savage 10/110 combo with a nikon scope.
Don't do a axis, in case you want to upgrade anything.
The savage will be more accurate from the box than a Remington.

I agree with every word here. Had a Model 10 in 7mm-08, it was a good gun. Another nice thing about a Savage is as a young or less experienced shooter grows so can the rifle, a few tools and a little know-how and those external barrel nuts are simple to pop off and swap calibers. Want a magnum? Change the bolt face or buy a dedicated magnum bolt, you're only limited to the length of your action.

That said, if I was going to buy a production bolt gun for myself today I would save my nickles, eat bean & rice for while and get a Tikka T3.

There are multiple worthwhile choices.

The Ruger American is an acceptable choice for an economical center-fire rifle.

I've shot multiples. I have experienced very good accuracy, with perfect function. And they are cheap.

Yep, I agree. My someday to be son-in-law has one, I've shoot it and it plants them fine. I can't remember what scope came with it but I thought it was a POS and would have replaced it myself. Ruger has always excelled at bringing out decent affordable firearms.

Thanks Wayno, I was trying to see if I was in the ballpark. All this time, I'm thinking the OP may be missing out on some damn good deals on a used rifle around the same price point...

What kind of used stuff do u think i chould get for 400ish

I had this long drawn out post written, but am not going to post it. In short, I'll answer your question by saying there are plenty of used rifles out there in your price range. However, that all depends on your experience as a buyer and the resources you have. Since you live in Virginia, that makes it harder to buy from some of our local places in the PNW that do not offer shipping. One place in particular has a bunch of rifle scope combo's in the $400 ish range and some in the $300 ish range..

There is a Ruger American .308 with Nikon scope listed right now on here under $400! That would be a nice set up to get started with!
Check out The classifieds section! There are some other stunning deals right now, always happens when Ura-Ki blows his yearly gun budget! Lol

There is a Ruger American .308 with Nikon scope listed right now on here under $400! That would be a nice set up to get started with!
Check out The classifieds section! There are some other stunning deals right now, always happens when Ura-Ki blows his yearly gun budget! Lol

Yep, Wayno posted a link to that rifle. Someone better jump on that deal because it's a good one at $325.00!!!!!! That's the kind of deal the OP needs to find. However, he also needs to consider shipping on something like that. Too bad he's in Virginia.... We are lucky, we could just drive to get that one..

Yep, Wayno posted a link to that rifle. Someone better jump on that deal because it's a good one at $325.00!!!!!! That's the kind of deal the OP needs to find. However, he also needs to consider shipping on something like that. Too bad he's in Virginia.... We are lucky, we could just drive to get that one..

With shipping and transfer, that would still be a $400 package.:cool:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top