JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm buying a pair of binoculars for my father for Christmas, something I literally know nothing about. He doesn't hunt or anything, but he's complaining that his sight isn't what it used to be. I figure most of his viewing will be on his property or from the side of the road (less than 500 yards). I'm leaning toward Leupold, since they're local and known for quality. My biggest question is determining which power I should buy. Any suggestions or tips for making my choice?

I have had good luck with 7x or 8x binoculars. Wide enough field of view and enough magnification to see well at moderate ranges. One nice thing is that they don't require a steady hand (or a rest) to keep your "target" in your field of view.

If you are out in the desert and looking at longer ranges, the really high powers can be handy.

If his eyes aren't what they used to be, the objective lens size and lens quality are more important than power, within reason.
I'd rather have a pair of 7 power with large, good quality lenses than a pair of 10s that have lesser lenses.

Magnification doesn't help old eyes near as much as better light gathering.
I should know, I have old eyes. HA!

Last Edited:
I'm buying a pair of binoculars for my father for Christmas, something I literally know nothing about. He doesn't hunt or anything, but he's complaining that his sight isn't what it used to be. I figure most of his viewing will be on his property or from the side of the road (less than 500 yards). I'm leaning toward Leupold, since they're local and known for quality. My biggest question is determining which power I should buy. Any suggestions or tips for making my choice?
I have a pair of Leitz (very expensive, and very high quality) that I have had for years, and have been very well satisfied with. The new Nikon Monarch 5 binocs are almost the equal of my Leitz, and a heck of a lot less money. Get your Father a pair of these in 8 power, and he will be delighted.
Best,
Gary

Thanks for the replies, guys! Sounds like something in the 8x-10x range with big objectives is the way to go.

Thanks for the replies, guys! Sounds like something in the 8x-10x range with big objectives is the way to go.

Coming from my background in photography, it's hard to beat a big objective lens for clarity and light gathering. Major trade off is that large objective lenses tend to be heavier, so keep that in mind. Beyond that, try to buy the best quality glass you can afford - cheap glass, whether in a scope, binoculars or camera lens, will be frustrating for you (or your father).

Any suggestions when it comes to porro vs roof prism binoculars? I should also mention, he's unlikely to be carrying these around, so size and weight are less of a concern.

That's nice Joe, I'll bet he likes that!

First, think about taking your dad to try out several pair! Binos are much like shoes, a very personal choice!
Second, you both should try them. Look for brightness, clarity, a round field of view (indicating that the barrels are in alignment) not oval. An oval field of view will cause eye strain pretty rapidly!
The last time I bought binoculars I was leaning toward Leupold's but found the Vortex models better in all categories, especially brightness! The sales person also informed me that the Vortex were better sealed, and at that price point was the only brand that was gas filled! I've never had cause to regret my decision! Also, Vortex has a lifetime warranty and an excellent reputation for repairs and customer service! Yes, I've become a Vortex fan boy!
As to the power of the Binos, I'm a fan of ten X. Unless, your dad is kind of shaky and will mostly be using the glasses unbraced! If he is glassing from the road, I presume he will have the car roof to brace his forearms on. Then tenX is perfect! Again, the power is something to try out in the store! Good luck finding what you need! SRG :)

That's nice Joe, I'll bet he likes that!

First, think about taking your dad to try out several pair! Binos are much like shoes, a very personal choice!
Second, you both should try them. Look for brightness, clarity, a round field of view (indicating that the barrels are in alignment) not oval. An oval field of view will cause eye strain pretty rapidly!
The last time I bought binoculars I was leaning toward Leupold's but found the Vortex models better in all categories, especially brightness! The sales person also informed me that the Vortex were better sealed, and at that price point was the only brand that was gas filled! I've never had cause to regret my decision! Also, Vortex has a lifetime warranty and an excellent reputation for repairs and customer service! Yes, I've become a Vortex fan boy!
As to the power of the Binos, I'm a fan of ten X. Unless, your dad is kind of shaky and will mostly be using the glasses unbraced! If he is glassing from the road, I presume he will have the car roof to brace his forearms on. Then tenX is perfect! Again, the power is something to try out in the store! Good luck finding what you need! SRG :)

Well, they do make fantastic scopes, not a stretch to believe that extends to binoculars.

I am going to pizz in some Cheerios here and say avoid Leupold for binos! Reasons are they ( except the high end stuff) are made in china and use Nikon optics only for the first focal plane! I use Steiners my self, and I also recommend keeping the power at no more the 8X for steady imaging by hand! Glass quality and prizim design mean every thing in the image quality and light gathering dept. You get what you pay for! I would look at Barska ( at the high end price point) because they use Zeiss glass in there binos and the prices are reasonable, about what a set of Nikon Monarchs go for!

Good gear ain't cheap, and cheap gear ain't good.

With optics, you definitely get what you pay for.

Porro prism binos are generally better at giving you better depth of field, but are bulky.

Roof prism binos are usually better at distinguishing colors (more important to most hunters) and are lighter and their shape lends themselves to easier packing around.

Sorry Ura-Ki but I would rather set a stack of 20 dollar bills on fire than waste it on anything Barska makes. I do agree with you about staying away from Leupold for binoculars though....

Vortex Diamondback, or if you can afford them Vortex Viper HD's are probably the best value/quality on the market today.

Go look at as many as you can Joe, nobody can tell you what is best for you, cuz' they can't look through your eyes.....

I keep both 7x and 10x binocs in my pickup. The 10x seldom is used, other than for a spare, or for a loaner.
I find the 7x is the best compromise. More forgiving focus. Good field of view. Stability is less an issue than higher powers.

Interesting, the cheapest rifle scopes on the planet are waterproof. But you've really gotta step up the price to get waterproof binocs. Waterproof is important. Get rained on one time, or even sweat on them, and you can't see thru the binocs, and you'll quickly wished you'd spent a little more money.

WAYNO.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top