Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Best AK-47 for $600 or under

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by patrioticmarine, Oct 17, 2014.

1. patrioticmarine

patrioticmarine Washington New Member

Hello Members,

I wish to purchase an AK-47 to have as a secondary battle rifle and was hoping some of you could give me some sound guidance and information.

The primary role and utilization of this firearm will be as another reliable battle rifle I can take with me should I ever need to exfiltrate out of my area in an emergency.

My simple parameters for the firearm are:
    1) Chrome lined barrel
    2) Fixed or side-folding stock
    3) 7.62x39 caliber
    4) "Reasonable" accuracy - I can easily hit a cantaloupe at 100 yards and/or center mass from 200 yards.

Having said that, is it possible to buy one now with the parameters above for less than $600? If so, what kind would be best for my purposes and where should I purchase one?

Just a note I would much prefer to see it and hold it in my hands first before I make a purchasing decision so I can see if the front sight and/or barrel is canted, the magazine wobbles too much, etc. Any other suggestions on what to check would be appreciated as well.

Thanks ahead of time everyone. Semper Fi.

2. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

A lot of people bag on them (and it's not without reason) but I've had good results with Romanian WASR-10's. I have one that is amazing at 100 yards, even more amazing at 50 yards. I think the QC has improved quite a bit from past specimens.

patrioticmarine likes this.
  3. sealine

sealine Oregon Well-Known Member

+1 for a WASR10. It fits your parameters and you would have money left over for mags/ammo. Not sure where you might find one in stock though.

4. patrioticmarine

patrioticmarine Washington New Member

Thanks guys, I'll look around in the local gun shops here and hopefully find one.

5. happypuppy

happypuppy N. Puget Sound Member

look at the all USA made century c39.

6. 206thsense

206thsense Seattle, WA, USA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Zastava NPAP AK-47 has some solid reviews.

I don't think it has a chrome lined barrel, though... but if you're not going to shoot corrosive, I think it'll be fine!

patrioticmarine and JVK like this.
  7. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

So I guess century is gonna put out an all American made AK rifles. The RAS47 is stamped and MSRP is $650. I really would like to own one.

8. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

+ 1 on Century's new AK. For all your requirements.

+ 1 on a simple wasr.

And lastly my bid:

Opaps and Npaps ("Yugo m70 based AKs") are darn accurate. Though they don't have a chrome lined chamber and bore they shoot very well. Regretfully traded my Opap to a buddy for his Npap and a little cash.. Npap is still a great rifle.

patrioticmarine and 206thsense like this.
  9. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

I own a CIA made in the USA. So far its a great rifle, I am just not an AK guy. So i am selling mine to fund another project.....Its called paying off my Credit Card

10. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Buy an SKS and save yourself some money.

All but the Yugo's would fit the above criteria.

Then put it in whatever stock you like.

I like AKs a lot but for the price point your looking at Imo an SKS would be a better rifle.

11. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

JOE!!! I should slap the purple off that crystal skull avatar of yours.... BLASPHEMY!!! :p o_O (Stink eye)

biggie24420 and Joe13 like this.
  12. Joe13

Joe13 NW of Vancouver Opinionated & Blunt Bronze Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

What can I say?:D

I think a good SKS would be a much better 2nd battle rifle then a cheap AK.

Now if your talking $750-800+ then I'd an AK for sure.

13. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

The SKS D model (takes the AK mags) would be my choice if I had to go the SKS route.

14. tactical oak tree

tactical oak tree Springfield Member

century c39 US made
    i just picked up my tactical version for 645$ its a little over the 600 mark but its worth it. for budget ak's century is a good one also m&m inc. but most of the stuff isn't 922r compliant so some parts have to be swapped but both those manufactures are half the price of arsenal ak's

15. B5Ben

B5Ben Boise Well-Known Member

Having both in stock configuration, I don't agree. IMO, the SKS is lacking is several key areas such as ergonomics of the stock, reload speed/ease/frequency and weight. I do like my Russian SKS but think the AK, even in budget form, is a much better platform. They will still be reliable and as accurate as you will need an AK or SKS to be.

16. tacticalgunner

tacticalgunner Wilsonville The Man, The Myth, The Legend Bronze Supporter

Soooo where is the camera man standing??????

17. 206thsense

206thsense Seattle, WA, USA Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter