JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well this is a hard pill to swallow because they are my favorite knife company and I own a few including my current EDC. I heard about the police debacle and thought it was just helping them but the political donations are a clincher.

So then a tip in this thread led me to Chris Reeve knives and damn if I dont have a new whishlist but wow the price is way more than I ever figured Id need in a quality knife. Its expensive hanging out with you guys.... :p

that's a nice-looking knife, BUT!! $500 is a deal-breaker for sure.

The benchmade marketing director in the Lars Larsen interview said the company gives to democrats. That info is first person directly from the company, not a 3rd party website.
Based on the website that started this thread, Benchmade, the company, has not made a donation to a political entity since at least 2014 if the website is to be believed...which is what started this whole shemozzle. Perhaps they did and respect everyone's views to do as they see fit with their hard-earned dollars.

Based on the website that started this thread, Benchmade, the company, has not made a donation to a political entity since at least 2014 if the website is to be believed...which is what started this whole shemozzle. Perhaps they did and respect everyone's views to do as they see fit with their hard-earned dollars.
FYI Lars Larson interview where benchmade said they have given to dems was in 2019.

Before Covid I worked for a company that often entertained democratic legislators and ended each lunch with an envelope with a "campaign contribution" being passed to them. This was after the threat of legislating our company out of business (for profit education). It worked until Kate Brown excluded us from operating with the emergency declaration and drove my employer into bankruptcy.
So paying politicians is a business expense.

Lars Larson is a bit of a blowhard, much like Rush Limbaugh was. every now and then something new actually comes up. but usually just regurgitated crap day after day.

Lars Larson is a bit of a blowhard, much like Rush Limbaugh was. every now and then something new actually comes up. but usually just regurgitated crap day after day.
Yet Larson's show was a large part of my conversion from the left post High School. I chanced to listen to it and all the concepts he talked about like personal responsibility resonated with me. I pretty much had to agree that his positions were correct and had substance unlike what I heard from the left.

FYI be careful when buying benchmade knives used. Apparently the knock offs are so good it's hard to tell it's a knockoff.

0419C59A-3342-48A1-860C-E7946BB01FD7.png
56BD8097-DB50-4373-B577-8EB93B5DCFEB.png

FYI be careful when buying benchmade knives used. Apparently the knock offs are so good it's hard to tell it's a knockoff.

View attachment 1191677
View attachment 1191678
But, if the knockoff is that good, have you really been harmed? :s0092:

Just kidding man. I'm too cheap to buy a quality knockoff even. My "go to" skinning knife is a Havalon Piranta that I got for free with a magazine subscription (I did have to pay $9.99 Shipping). Those disposable blades are like a surgeon's scalpel. I didn't even feel it go into the palm of my hand while skinning a 5 pt. bull a few years back, but I did notice the blood flowing. My boning knife is an old Schrade that I got from my sister for Christmas when I was 12 (almost 50 years ago). :D

That's very disappointing. I took it for granted that they would be 2A supporters
Well, I'm not going to trash the Benchmades I own but I won't be buying any more.
I agree completely that folks should vote with their dollars and support companies that align with their ethos. But perfect gets in the way of good. We would all starve and not be wearing any clothing if we look for perfect in companies.
BTW, it may come as even more of a shock to see the list of Democrat politicians Benchmade Knife Company gave money to. Shown below is the list from the 2020 presidential election cycle. They donated not just to the Democrat Senatorial Campaign Committee, but even gave money to Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg.

But what I find must unbelievable is that Benchmade Knife Company gave money to the most extreme left-wing "squad" members in Congress, including Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Ilhan Omar.
FYI Lars Larson interview where benchmade said they have given to dems was in 2019.
Okay, enough is enough with this. There is so many falsehoods and outright lies going on with this thread that it is an embarrassment to NWF. I'm going to no doubt land on ignore lists for this but this is really sad.

First, go play the less than five minute video from the Lars interview. Make up your own mind about what the guy is saying instead of people telling you what he said. Don't believe what I'm saying...listen for yourself...but Lars seems to be supportive as a whole of his statements, listen for yourself.

Even if you don't want to listen PLEASE go to the link and look at the photo on Lars' site that states:
"After the Oregon Police Department posted a photo of a the process of destroying guns, this was taking at The Benchmade Knife Company . Lars speaks with Benchmade's director of marketing, Matt Elliott to hear their explanation of the story." (my emphasis added)​

Really, so Benchmade has a SHERIFF's star on a memorial wall at their company??? Um, no...and the photo has NOTHING to do with the guns cut up by Benchmade. The photo is from a 2018 gun seizure in Los Angeles county and the photo appears in numerous news articles from that time. That appears to be the LASD's facility. Here is just one link to an article: https://cbs12.com/news/nation-world/los-angeles-man-arrested-with-stockpile-of-533-firearms

That type of full on lying will cause me to never listen to him at any point ever.

@VanceInWA your own chart imbedded in post #4 indicates $0 was given by the organization yet you state, "...shock to see the list of Democrat politicians Benchmade Knife Company gave money to," and "...unbelievable is that Benchmade Knife Company gave money to the most extreme left-wing "squad" members in Congress, including Rashida Tlaib, Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, and Ilhan Omar." (Original emphasis included)

Would you like to correct the fact that the $2 given to each of these people was by individuals and not by Benchmade as your two quote inaccurately state? Or are your sticking with someone at Benchmade corporate office wrote out $2 checks to Talib, Omar and Ocasio-Cortez? I would like to provide you the opportunity to be excellent to all of the fellow members on this site that are being mislead.

Yes, I'm an idealist folks and this thread is really bothering me, my problem. But I also don't want "our side" be using the tactics of "the other side of 2A" who don't have what I believe to be our ethics. Calling out companies is fine, with accurate information.

I'm looking for American made.
Fyi if you like the griptillian but want a usa made and better made knife this one has received universal praise from numerous knowledgeable knife reviewers. Excellent design and excellent c20V steel:

Full size:

Compact/lightweight version:

Hypocrisy is oozing all over the place in this thread!

First! you don't support a local manufacturer because they possibly "not for sure" donated to the democratic party that is mostly anti 2A but you will buy a knife made in Japan a whole country that is anti 2A!?

Second! blame the Oregon City police for destroying fierarms not Benchmade for donating tools "I'm sure there was no pressure from the local PD" to do so!

Look at where you spend your money I challenge you!

Second! blame the Oregon City police for destroying fierarms not Benchmade for donating tools "I'm sure there was no pressure from the local PD" to do so!
No, at least we OC residents are pretty pissed off at the PD and Benchmade.

I personally don't care who Benchmade or their employees donate to so long as they don't try to push their personal politics on others.

I agree about Lars. I think I lost interest in him a few years back when he was saying fluoride should be in our water systems because a lot of 'foreign' students did not have proper dental hygiene practices. I was curious why Lars didn't just buy his own rusty can of Chicom fluoride and dose himself each morning 🤔

Little confused why that small amount of money is a deal breaker. A company that makes million donated a few thousand, and not even for years.

There are a lot of knifemakers based in OR, don't know how many are locally sourced knives or even domestic U.S. We have Gerber, CRKT, etc., etc.

I have some old Benchmades but I think the last couple knives I've purchased are CRKT. I drive by their HQ at least once a week when I go to Sherwood or Tualatin, so they're front-of-mind. But again, I don't know where their knives are actually made.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top