JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYrlxPCmbmU (DVD mpeg)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR2cF3D2nqg (VCD mpeg)

I was asked to put together some information on making silencers. This video is for those who have never made a silencer or filled out the tax stamp application before. It covers how to apply for the tax stamp and make parts on a lathe. I also have it on disk ($3) for those who want to watch it on their DVD player. PM me with your address if you would like a DVD.

Ranb
[email protected]

Way to go Ranb.
YOU ARE THE MAN!
I nominate you for the NWF Philanthropic Man of the Year Award.

Philanthropic = interested in helping others rather than trying to make himself rich. ( I had to look that word up when I first heard it.)

For those people who expressed an interest in a DVD copy, please check out the Youtube link and let me know if you still want a disk ($3). Thanks.

Ranb

It is this one. G9729 Combo Lathe/Mill I tried to get a cheaper one that had a 7/8" bore, but the one they sent had a 3/4". I sent it back and ordered the next cheapest lathe that had at least a 7/8" spindle bore and it was this one with a mill attached and a 1-1/8 inch spindle bore. It was about $1600 back in 2001, a bit more now.

Here are some reasonably priced lathes. Avoid mini lathes.
G0602 10" x 22" Bench Top Metal Lathe
G9972Z 11" x 26" Bench Lathe w/ Gearbox

I wish I had spent much more on a better lathe. I might in a few years.

Ranb

Actually I have been lusting after something like this one. <broken link removed>

I do not really know enough about lathes to give good advice on buying the right one. There are some professionals on SilencerTalk and some of the machining forums that can do a better job.

Ranb

Actually I have been lusting after something like this one. <broken link removed>

I do not really know enough about lathes to give good advice on buying the right one. There are some professionals on SilencerTalk and some of the machining forums that can do a better job.

Ranb

I have heard to "steer clear" of the Smithy line, I hope you can check their machines over before you get stuck with one,
I have been purchasing from Grizzly for a few years myself, here is another place for lower-cost machine tools & accessories:
www.use-enco.com

As long as you are in control of the parts, the only things that matter are that you have an approved ATF form 1 and you live in a state that alows them.

Ranb

I usually get my material from Online Metals. Check the prices on one inch .049" stainless tubing and one inch bar stock. You can go cheaper with aluminum baffles but you should use stainless for the rear end cap adapter and the blast baffle. About $40 to go all stainless.

Ranb

Philanthropic = interested in helping others rather than trying to make himself rich. ( I had to look that word up when I first heard it.)
That's pretty funny since 'normaly' philanthropist are loaded to start with! And they only actually help since they can write it of, so they got more money themselves them paying taxes...

But this thread is a great one! Stuff that we should know, for fun, or for practical usage.
Thanks 'Ranb'!

Any good designs for a basic "easy" to make .22lr out there? I assume a K-baffle design would be easiest? I found this guy who made his own,
what do you think? http://www.cncguns.com/projects/22silencer.html
k-baffle.jpg

k-baffle.jpg

That will work decently on a 22lr. There are better K baffle designs out there. Take a look on Silencer Talk for more info.

I like cones and spacers for any can that is taken apart for cleaning. A K baffle is likely to get stuck when gunk adheres to the tube walls between the front flange and the skirt whereas cones and spacers slip out easier. You will probably not be able to tell the difference in noise level between a cone or a K baffle silencer.

Ranb

I have interest in this one because the machining looks a little bit more straight forward for a novice. When you say it will work decently on a 22lr, would that mean hearing safe?

That will work decently on a 22lr. There are better K baffle designs out there. Take a look on Silencer Talk for more info.

I like cones and spacers for any can that is taken apart for cleaning. A K baffle is likely to get stuck when gunk adheres to the tube walls between the front flange and the skirt whereas cones and spacers slip out easier. You will probably not be able to tell the difference in noise level between a cone or a K baffle silencer.

Ranb

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR