JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Using an idea I saw here a while back I designed a simple to build rack that will rotate canned food as it is used and refilled. Since we are working on developing a 1 month pantry that uses the normal foods we eat. The wife liked this idea as it makes the weekly shopping easier knowing what needs to be replace.

The racks I have designed will hold 16) 14.5 Oz cans and fewer of the larger cans.

I figured before I started shoving wood through the table saw I would ask what others are using and see if there were and other designs I should be thinking about.

Yea I have seen racks like that they tend to use up a LOT of space and be geared more towards #10 cans etc.

The simple wooden ones I have designed hold 16) 14.5 ounce (std veg. chile. can) in 5.5" X 12.5" x 16" tall

I have a space in the pantry to run these racks across a 69" Shelf. I figure I can get close to 190 cans in a space. 12.5" deep X 16" tall x 69" wide and have almost all of them in a self rotating rack. Some will end up sitting on top of some of the larger can racks that don't allow 4 rows within the vertical space.

I guess I just need to start building them. I have so much scrap wood around here it should end up costing little to make them. I need to dress up the face a little bit as our pantry is in an open area and the wife will like a cleaner look. But that can be done with a couple doors.

Once I get the first ones built and make sure they work properly I'll post up some PDF's so they can be copied.

Yea Thanks I can see where most of these are designed to fit a number of different sized cans. We tend to end up with about 6 different sizes. So I think I am in the interest of efficiency make the racks to fit the cans. And then then use the racks of a similar size on one side of the shelf.

We have a small pantry area in the house and I want to maximize it before I go to other storage areas. Trying to keep with the wifes desire to have everything stored be something we normally eat and in constant rotation. Once we have this one month plus (grociery store sourced) pantry done I will add a one month long term pantry which could be stored in a less accessable location.

I have a cabinet shop and when things were really slow i started developing a very modular system while trying to keep it affordable using low cost MDF which cn be left raw, painted or stained. The side panels are all cut on a cnc router. Business picked back up and this project got side tracked for the time being, but hopefully i will be able to get back at it. Trying to decide how to offer it, sell just the side panels with instructions and cutlist for the panels and dowels to keep shipping costs down or to offer complete knock down, u-assemble kits.

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/preparedness-survival/55610-canned-food-rotaion-racks.html

See I plan on using 1/2" plywood shelves and 5mm plywood sides. No need to route anything a few screws (#6 x 1.25" Drywall screws) and some titebond glue and I'm done. I can cut a simple jig to locate the shelves on the angle. I figure ounce I have the pattern made and setup the saw I should be able to cut out all the pieces I need in 15 min. All on the table saw. Then using the jigs I can glue and screw the shelves in place and the whole project shouldn't take more then a Saturday. Including mounting them on the Pantry shelf and filling them.

I hate living in an apartment. No space and no cool garage with workspace for these fun projects.

do you have a friend near by that is into prepping, maybe you can work on a gig together with them and thus form a little pack, it will be easier to sleep when you have someone you can trust to watch your back while sleep, and when you move into home, have an agreement they help you with your projects, a true friend will honor this.

Whenw e lived in ground floor apt. I build a workbench 2' x 6' to do projects on and to hold all my tools. I put ends on the bench and a back and then made a bifold locking door that totally enclosed the bench. When we went away for the weekend. I took a heavy tow chain I had and wrapped it around the bench and lid and used a huge Masterlock stuck inside a Oxy cylinder cap. To keep people from trying to cut it.

Worked great I built a Thompson Center .50 Cal Hawkin rifle and a couple dozen handmade knives on the bench. I think even rebuilt a carb on it.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top