JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I get my cheese at Costco, better quality at half the price, and they've got ZIP in way of firearms. Hey, even WalMart have been all but bought out of ammunition, and never had much selection in long guns... and pistols at only a couple locations out West here. I did get a screaming bargain on a Ruger 20/22 Stainless last spring..... I think they mismarked it it was so cheap. Less than I've ever seen the blued standard version. Stainless long barrel, wood stock, well under two hundred..... I didn't hesitate.

I was at wallyworld on 82nd yesterday. They had 4 boxes of UMC "Mega Pack" 45acp. I picked one up. They had SOME 223 and 22lr ammo, and a few different types of 17hmr at a reasonable price. Sportsmans on 82nd still has a bunch of ammo when I was there; I picked up some 22lr on sale. But they didn't have any Varget when I asked for it.

Fisherman's in Delta Park has very few rifles and handguns; I was there on Sunday (just browsing). They now want $17.99 for a brick of 400 rounds of Federal 22lr. I think they still have some 223 for $8/box.

In general, things are sparse. I was hoping ammo would come down when metals prices did, but they're staying up, and shelves don't seem to be restocked like they were. What's it all mean?

Whats it all mean? A few things. The firearms industry in the US is one of only a handful that is operating at near full capacity and making higher than normal profits. The volume is incredible. Apparently, the FBI is reporting sales volumes totally un precedented in the entire history of white men in North America, in sheer numbers, in percentages of sales per person, and in growth year on year. Since the recent elections, hundreds of thousands of new and retail used gun sales have been recorded by the FBI.. remember, EVERY time a dealer sells ANY firearm nationwide, the FBI get a call for the background check. So they KNOW the accurate numbers of actual retail sales. Ammunition sales are up three hundred percent year on year.... and almost all the increase has been since the first week in November. Word is that Obama is aware of these numbers, though you won't find them in the press, and has been standing off the Congress and lobbyists fomenting for the promised disarmament. His response, sometimes even snarky, is to tell them "hey, guys, LISSEN ta me... NOW is not the time". There is also the matter of government purchases of ammunition for Iraq and Afghanistan.... something like two BILLION rounds of small arms ammo on order, and in production, right now. In other words, two things have collided..... HUGE increase in civilian demand coinciding with unprecedented increases in government demand. Result? My guess is that ammunition prices won't see a decline any time soon, never mind the price of copper and lead scrap and new metals have dropped to about 20% of what they were this time last year, and even more as against their peaks in mid-August. Why should they? Supply and demand, even at record high prices for this class of goods, is dictating that the manufacturers will hold prices high. Of course, it won't be too long before some offshore outfit wakes up and begins to supply quality ammo at far lower prices... Remington/URM have a near-monopoly on the trade. Winchester is not far behind, and Federal limps along somewhere in the low-quality range,but no real competition for these three. Ford, Chev, and GM should have it so bad, eh?

Went to the Wal-Mart on 82nd today for some ammo. The only thing they had were a few boxes of .40, a few boxes of .380 (which is what I went there for, score!), and some hunting ammo.

Okay, now I know ya'll only shop at the most expensive of expensive places, but don't forget to stop by Bi-Mart!

Yeah... most places are pathetically low on ALL ammo. Maybe this will be known as the last year of cheap ammo... Buy a box a week and keep buying...

No 9mm on the shelf, not just WWB, NONE! The only .22lr was the 333 box for ~9 bucks. They did have a few of the bulk packs of .45acp and the smaller boxes of .233 I Talked with the Dept. Mngr tonight, she said that not only have they not had 9mm for awhile now, the warehouse was empty as well. Gonna have to certify UMC from Bi-Mart in the 995 and PF9 I guess.

I went to bimart today to check out their stash. They did still have some Remington 223, and their centerfire handgun ammo was 10% off. Every time I go in it seems like they have exactly 2 boxes of Hornady JHP in 40SW, so I keep buying them. With the discount, they were only around 13 bucks a box. Like everywhere else, their supply is getting depleted.

It's not just ammo. It's also components. I've been to 5 Bi-Marts and 2 G.I. Joe's looking for Small Rifle primers and Unique powder. The counter jockeys say they haven't had them for weeks, and while the stores get shipments of components every Tuesday and Thursday, the shipments are smaller than they used to be with no guarantees as to what they'll actually get.

One problem is, Canada has forbidden private citizens to own handguns....
Not true! Despite fairly restrictive laws, our friends up north not only own firearms including many breeds of handguns and even "evil black rifles", but they do so at rates higher than much (most?) of the rest of the world. While it is true that they are not (with a few exceptions) supposed to carry or even own guns for self-defense, I am sure that a good number still do. And it is generally illegal there to carry ANY item for the purpose of defending yourself against humans...

I definitely prefer our laws down here overall but there are even a couple of ways their gun laws are actually better than in the US. If I had to choose, I'd pick British Columbia or Alberta over Illinois or New Jersey any day of the week! :)

Here are a couple of Canadian gun related websites worth peeking at:
http://www.canadiangunnutz.com
http://www.canadaammo.com
http://www.leverarms.com
http://www.firearmscanada.com
<broken link removed>

I lucked into the last Winchester White box of 50ct 45 ACP Hollow point on Thursday this week at Wal Mart in St Helens. They also had that and 1 box of Blazer 45 left.

A buddy of mine found me a 100 count Winchester White Box 45 FMJ, and he got the other 2 boxes for himself, also got us the last 2 boxes of Federal 22 lr there also, at the Gresham Wal Mart.

Been checking many different Bi Marts for 45 ACP and 22lr among others for the better part of the last month with no luck. The only rounds available were some uncommon calibers that not many people are using, or shot shells which everyone seems to have. One dept manager at a Bi Mart told me that when his order of ammo did actually arrive, most of it sold before he could even put it on the shelf.

This is getting redonkulus!!!!

Just my observations..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck. :p

The local Wal-Mart received about 30 CASES of WWB ammo a couple days ago. 11 cases of 45 alone! The largest shipment in 3 months of WWB. It was all gone within 72 hours....

If people quit hoarding, there would be some left for others... but when some people buy up the whole shipment just so they can go sell it at the gun show at 30-60% markup, the shortage will last quite a bit longer. :s0159:

This past Thursday I went into the BiMart down the street from me. I bought a few more boxes of some target load 12 gauge and got the one box of 400 rounds of American Eagle 22. I asked if everything they got that day was on the shelves. It was. Only one box of 22lr in a whole shipment? wow! The good news is that I know for a fact that the CCI/Speer plant in Lewiston Idaho is gearing up to crank out some ammo. I know someone who delivered a truck load of brass there the other day and he was the first of six trucks delivering there that day.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top