JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just went to a Wal Mart today and they had plenty of 9mm and .45. I bought one 100 round box of 9mm as really all I want is enough for a range day and don't want to be greedy so more people can have a chance. I talked to the guy for a bit and he said the limit was five because they had way too many people cleaning them out a case at a time and reselling it at almost twice the price.

I don't know why some people can't just be respectful in this situation and we'll all get through this just fine.

Are there any Wallyworlds in the Portland area that actually carry rifles anymore? I was looking for a cheap .22 to get my kids started on and haven't found a store that carries guns anymore.

In my search for 40cal ammo yesterday in Salem I was only able to find one place that had any. I went to 3 walmarts & bimart, & then ole's. I got 3 boxes of pmc ammo (50rounds) for $20 a box. I don't know if that's a "deal" but I get to shoot my new gun today & that's worth $20 a box to me!! They have more ammo than the rest of the stores. They do have a limit on how many they will sell to one person in a day but I think that's only fair since that limit left me some ammo to buy. I get to shoot my g22 & sw4013 today!!!!!!!:)

Why is it that those who have stockpiled ammo are thought of as abusing the system, and those who can't find any ammo are the victims? I have been buying ammo at good prices everysince about a month before Obama got elected. NOT for re-sale, but for personal inventory. Now if I see some I buy it, if I don't then it's no sweat. When the .223 and 9mm and the .40 started getting bare I jumped ahead to the .22 back when the shelves were fuller than full. There is nothing wrong with first come first served. It's just another way of showing ones level of interest, importance and forsight (or gamble). I wish I wouldn't hear so much whinning about us big bad ammo horders who are ruining the last min. catchup buyers experience. Is this going to happen with gas and food if they ever become scarce? Is it wrong for me to prepare sooner and more adaquately than you? It's never to late to prepare but the earlier you do so the better, cheaper, faster, and easier it will be on you and your family. So, when the shelves become bare you won't be scrambling to fill your cupboards. You can just buy more next week if you find something. No prob's.

Last Edited:
Why is it that those who have stockpiled ammo are thought of as abusing the system, and those who can't find any ammo are the victims? I have been buying ammo at good prices everysince about a month before Obama got elected. NOT for re-sale, but for personal inventory. Now if I see some I buy it, if I don't then it's no sweat. When the .223 and 9mm and the .40 started getting bare I jumped ahead to the .22 back when the shelves were fuller than full. There is nothing wrong with first come first served. It's just another way of showing ones level of interest, importance and forsight (or gamble). I wish I wouldn't hear so much whinning about us big bad ammo horders who are ruining the last min. catchup buyers experience. Is this going to happen with gas and food if they ever become scarce? Is it wrong for me to prepare sooner and more adaquately than you? It's never to late to prepare but the earlier you do so the better, cheaper, faster, and easier it will be on you and your family. So, when the shelves become bare you won't be scrambling to fill your cupboards. You can just buy more next week if you find something. No prob's.

I have no problem with those that HAVE stockpiled ammo. But those that are behind the 8ball should be helping their fellow sportsmen by practicing restraint in these times of famine. If you really need to buy 1,000 or more rounds, go through a warehouse dealer - don't strip the everyday store shelves bare.

Those that just want to do a little plinking are getting frustrated by the lack of ammo and are tempted to horde as well once they do find some. By buying everything on the shelf, we are ensuring that the famine is going to go on for a lot longer time. I have had guys come in a buy 40+ boxes of ammo at a time - every single large box of .22, 9mm, .357, .38, .380, .40, .45, and .223 that is on the shelf. And people wonder why the shelves are bare...

This is supposed to be a family friendly sport. Most people on here would be happy to hear of the youngsters that are being brought into this sport with their very first .22LR. Most of these kids could live for a decade off of one brick. I have actually seen some guys have second thoughts when they find out how hard it is to get ammo.

And yes, I do practice what I preach. I may have 3,000 rounds of .22, but no more than a brick of any certain brand. I only have 2 boxes of .223 at any one time, my 12ga shells I have been buying a couple boxes here, a couple boxes there, and I have no more than 100 rounds of any other caliber in a specific brand.

Supply Chain Management 101: on the ammunition shortage.
Monday, April 20, 2009 Filed in: Ammunition, General gun stuff, Shooting industry Gun stores continue to be a never-ending source of hilarity. Walk into your local shooting emporium and ask why there is an ammo shortage, and you'll hear inane speculation coupled with a conspiracy theory or two. The reality is that the supply chain for ammunition is relatively inelastic, and is easily overwhelmed by a sudden jump in sales.

As one industry consultant has told me, ammunition demand over the years has been remarkably predictable. Ammunition wholesalers know (within a certain margin of error) how many units of each caliber they'll sell in the coming year, and approve purchase orders for the delivery of that amount of product during that year.

Ammo makers, too, know with fair certainty how much they're going to sell to the wholesalers during that period, and sign contracts for the purchase of sufficient components to produce those products. They don't typically keep large stores of components on hand, as standing inventory is expensive, so components are delivered on a "just in time" basis.

The suppliers of those components do the same thing with raw materials; again, ammunition is a stable business, which allows them to forecast with pretty good accuracy the stuff they need to make the components they sell. This pattern repeats itself on up the chain, all the way to the people who mine the stuff necessary to make a single cartridge.

Along comes a huge, sudden spike in demand. Retailers all over the country are suddenly swamped with ammunition purchases, and quickly call their suppliers to get more. The first few calls are rewarded with replacement stock, but soon the wholesaler's shelves are bare too - their entire year allotment of ammunition is gone in just a few days.

The wholesaler calls the maker, and the same thing happens: all of the suppliers are doubling (or more) orders to get their dealers restocked, and the manufacturer is quickly stripped of on-hand components as he tries to fill those orders.

The dealers are out, the wholesalers are out, and now the manufacturers are out. But it gets worse.

The makers of the priming compound, primer cups, brass, powder, jacket material, and lead are suddenly swamped with desperate pleas for more product, and they in turn contact the suppliers of the raw materials for more. The entire chain of supply is empty, and everyone has to wait while all of the raw materials are gathered. (I shouldn't have to tell you that those folks have other contracts to fill before they can get to the rush orders - they're not just waiting around for next year's order from the ammo companies!)

That all sounds simple, but it just isn't. As an example, smokeless powder may contain a huge variety of raw materials: Nitrocellulose, Nitroglycerin, Nitroguanidine, Dibutyl phthalate, Polyester adipate, Ethyl acetate, Diphenylamine, 2-Nitrodiphenylamine, 4-nitrodiphenylamine, N-nitrosodiphenylamine, N-methyl-p-nitroaniline, tin dioxide, bismuth trioxide, bismuth subcarbonate, bismuth nitrate, bismuth antimonide, Potassium nitrate, Potassium sulfate, Talc, Titanium dioxide, Graphite, and Calcium carbonate. Each of these has to be sourced from a supplier, ordered, received, then finally compounded into smokeless powder. Think that all happens overnight??

Once the raw materials are finally in hand, the work can start. Lead has to be formed into projectiles, copper into jackets, brass into casings; priming compound is made from lead azide and/or potassium perchlorate, then the mixture combined with metal cups to make primers (they have to be made, too); the aforementioned powder has to be made (a huge job in itself.)

Once those components are ready, they can be sent to the manufacturer, who puts together into a finished round, then packages them appropriately. (Oops - we forgot that boxes and trays that have to be made and printed. That takes time and materials!) They're then shipped to the wholesaler, who (finally!) can ship to the retailer.

This whole process takes time - lots of it. If demand is high enough (which it has been), even the emergency orders placed all the way to the producers of the raw products may not be sufficient, and shortages will continue. That's what we're seeing right now.

The supply chain is simply empty, all the way up to the people who mine the raw materials. It's going to take time to replace all the links in that chain, and it's not because of the war in Iraq/Afghanistan, The Joos, FEMA, the
CIA
, a secret agreement to implement gun control through ammo availability, or any other silly theory you may have heard. This is a textbook example of what happens when an inelastic supply chain, composed with scarce "just in time" inventories, meets insatiable demand. It's not sexy or intriguing, but that's the way it is.

You know what's scarier? Your food comes to you the same way. Imagine what would happen if...

Loaded up on reloading supplies I think you might want to rethink your options, at best you might get some loaded stuff, but I have seen very little reloading supplies in most wally worlds, and the staff is usually someone from the fabric section that waits on me........my 2 Cents.....

I think the people that beat the rush are the ones I want around when things get ugly......

I have no problem with those that HAVE stockpiled ammo. But those that are behind the 8ball should be helping their fellow sportsmen by practicing restraint in these times of famine. If you really need to buy 1,000 or more rounds, go through a warehouse dealer - don't strip the everyday store shelves bare.

Those that just want to do a little plinking are getting frustrated by the lack of ammo and are tempted to horde as well once they do find some. By buying everything on the shelf, we are ensuring that the famine is going to go on for a lot longer time. I have had guys come in a buy 40+ boxes of ammo at a time - every single large box of .22, 9mm, .357, .38, .380, .40, .45, and .223 that is on the shelf. And people wonder why the shelves are bare...

This is supposed to be a family friendly sport. Most people on here would be happy to hear of the youngsters that are being brought into this sport with their very first .22LR. Most of these kids could live for a decade off of one brick. I have actually seen some guys have second thoughts when they find out how hard it is to get ammo.

And yes, I do practice what I preach. I may have 3,000 rounds of .22, but no more than a brick of any certain brand. I only have 2 boxes of .223 at any one time, my 12ga shells I have been buying a couple boxes here, a couple boxes there, and I have no more than 100 rounds of any other caliber in a specific brand.

Thanks for not assuming that I am an experienced shooter like sheepdog. I'm 24, and have just started getting into shooting handguns. I was looking at buying a 9mm because I thought it would be easier for me to learn on, but I got really lucky and my step dad gave me a 40cal S&W before he left for Iraq!The first time I had ever shot a handgun was with my boyfriend in October, and I loved it! That next weekend I was at borders buying books, trying to learn as much as possible about them. I am even going to take classes from Jim Jacobe - Im so excited!! I love getting on this site. There is so much information for me to learn. Anyway, thanks again, I wasn't trying to be offensive to people who buy lots of ammo I was just trying to save some other people some time looking for it in salem since I had already done the searching that day & to say that I was really really excited to shoot my used/new gun.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top