JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'm glad your happy with your purchase Andy. I was happy with mine too when I first got it.

Now the last thing I'm going to say in this thread is directed twards KENOC. Have you owned both a PT1911 and a RIA 1911? Nope I didn't think so. my observation and opinion is based on personal experience with both handguns and several rounds fired through both of them. Exactly what are you basing your opinion on KENOC? Somebody told you bad things about one and good things about the other? Kool! Great! everybody has a right to their own opinion regaurdless of whether or not it's based on heresay.

I'm glad your happy with your purchase Andy. I was happy with mine too when I first got it.

Now the last thing I'm going to say in this thread is directed twards KENOC. Have you owned both a PT1911 and a RIA 1911? Nope I didn't think so. my observation and opinion is based on personal experience with both handguns and several rounds fired the both of them. Exactly what are you basing your opinion on KENOC? Somebody told you bad things about one and good things about the other? Kool! Great! everybody has a right to their own opinion regaurdless of whether or not it's based on heresay.
That's nice for you, you have personal experience with 2 guns. I have experience with owning 2 RIA 1911's and their customer service and known LOTs of people who have owned Tauruses so my experience is as valid as yours is with your limited 2 gun observation. Overall, RIA owners seem to be happier with their purchases....i would say 3 to 1 in RIA favor. I do not wish to own a Taurus.
Guess what, I have never owned a Rolls Royce or a Chevy Cavalier. My research, observations and such indicate to me that a Rolls in much higher quality than the Chevy, as is their customer service.
I also did not act in or own the movies 'Casablanca' or 'Chainsaw Splatter Nightmare Part 4", yet my observations tell me which is higher quality.
Facts are facts, regardless of one's limited experience of owning one each of a product or not.
And you should do a little research into cast vs forged instead of perpetuating the myth that one is better than the other. There is a reason some of the top frame manufacturers opt for cast.:cool:

And you should do a little research into cast vs forged instead of perpetuating the myth that one is better than the other. There is a reason some of the top frame manufacturers opt for cast.:cool:

I have done my research and the jury is still out on that one. Why top frame manufactures use cast over forged... heck that’s an easy one. It's cheaper and if hardened properly it is workable. RIA is not a premium gun manufacturer. Just like MIM done right is fine, MIM done wrong is crap! Same goes for Cast buddy. I could see the hammering and wear on my RIA where the barrel lugs meet the frame when it goes into battery. Might want to look yours over closely if you have more then 1000 rounds through it. Warning you might not like what you see. I also observed poor barrel fitment in mine where it only locked up on one barrel lug resulting in poor accuracy and durability. The machining was also rough on the RIA. It ate any ammunition I fed it I will give it that but when you make a loose tolerance gun that’s easy to accomplish really.

Thanks to all who responded, I will post some Pics of the rock when it arrives. For better or worse... I own it. That being said I have made my purchase so the point of this thread has been acomplished.

Thanks All

Presently have both RIA Tactical and Taurus PT1911. I had to send the Taurus back for firing with the safety on. It now works fine but I still feel the RIA is a better pistol overall. Both are fitted well and are accurate. The RIA has a better trigger, the Taurus now has a "snappier" safety movement I prefer. Taurus customer service is ok if you have plenty of time and don't mind paying big bucks to ship a pistol with UPS or FedEx. RIA is serviced out of Nevada and I'm on an internet site where one of the folks who run the place hangs out. Service is absolutely top notch from what I hear and read online. Fortunately in the several years I've had the RIA and in spite of many thousands of rounds through it, I've never needed any service work.

I am not a 1911 kind of guy but the only two I have owned were the Taurus and the RIA. I prefer the Taurus based on the out of the box accuracy and "extras" that come on it for no added expense.:s0155:

I am not a 1911 kind of guy but the only two I have owned were the Taurus and the RIA. I prefer the Taurus based on the out of the box accuracy and "extras" that come on it for no added expense.:s0155:

It seems to me the Taurus is quite a bit more expensive than the RIA. I see the RIA on Gunbroker for $430.00 all the time, and the Taurus for about $580.00.

Forgive me coming into this late...

I thought the RIA was made in the phillipines and was of consistantly less quality in fit and finish?

Was I reading something about old RIA or some other mfg altogether?

Forgive me coming into this late...

I thought the RIA was made in the phillipines and was of consistantly less quality in fit and finish?

Was I reading something about old RIA or some other mfg altogether?

I believe you are correct about the older models. I have read the same thing. My understanding, and by owning a new one, the quality is very good. I have had 2 gunsmiths recommend them to me over the Taurus 1911. I am no 1911 expert, and I do like Taurus guns, but chose a RIA over the Taurus to save the $200 and go with what was recommended by the gunsmiths. I still plan to pick up a Taurus 1911 one of these days to see if I made the correct choice.

Well It arrived today and it only took about an hour to clean all the oil and packing grease off of it.

First impressions are very positive.
The nickle finish is bright and free from any defects, There is a little evidence of some light tooling marks on the end of the slide but the bushing covers most of them up.

Trigger is a clean 5lbs with very little if any creep. Fit and finish is tight and better than expected. feels very solid

A few things I don't like are the cheep plastic grips and main spring housing.
Both will be replaces if I decide its a keeper.

Next step is off to the range

Sounds like they've upped the quality on their guns since I purchased mine. I bought mine a few years back (not sure how many) NIB for $300's. I see their price is going up along with their quality as well. I still prefer my Taurus over it but they have also upped their quality in the last few years. The Taurus is still built out of better materials though so I won't be trading it for a RIA anytime soon.

We look forward to the range report Andy! :s0155:

Sounds like they've upped the quality on their guns since I purchased mine. I bought mine a few years back (not sure how many) NIB for $300's. I see their price is going up along with their quality as well. I still prefer my Taurus over it but they have also upped their quality in the last few years. The Taurus is still built out of better materials though so I won't be trading it for a RIA anytime soon.

We look forward to the range report Andy! :s0155:

Fixed :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews