JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So the last few nights. the outside dogs have been going off at around 2am.
They bark from time to time thru out the night but not as serious as this. Mostly coins coyotes and opossums. Well the other night I could actually hear something in the brush up on the other side of the creek. Deciding its a good time to practice my night time search skills. I Grabbed a shotgun and flashlight, threw on rubber boots and headed out back. Shining the the light around, shotgun at the ready. Dark and quiet out back. I figured whatever it was had moved on to tip over someone else's garbage can. We've got a burn pile out there waiting for the rain. I move up to it so I can see down to creek. Nothing showing down there either. As I sweep the light back to head back inside. The darkness under the light right on the other side of the burn pile.... Moved. Yeah darkness is not supposed to move. Swing back and down. And there's the bear I figured was bothering the dogs. Less than eight feet away. We exchanged oh bubblegumz and concerned stares for close to a minute. . Then it turned and ran tearing up the brush going up the other side of the creek.
A 200 pound bear in a flashlight at under 10 feet is pretty cool.

They bark from time to time thru out the night but not as serious as this. Mostly coins coyotes and opossums. Well the other night I could actually hear something in the brush up on the other side of the creek. Deciding its a good time to practice my night time search skills. I Grabbed a shotgun and flashlight, threw on rubber boots and headed out back. Shining the the light around, shotgun at the ready. Dark and quiet out back. I figured whatever it was had moved on to tip over someone else's garbage can. We've got a burn pile out there waiting for the rain. I move up to it so I can see down to creek. Nothing showing down there either. As I sweep the light back to head back inside. The darkness under the light right on the other side of the burn pile.... Moved. Yeah darkness is not supposed to move. Swing back and down. And there's the bear I figured was bothering the dogs. Less than eight feet away. We exchanged oh bubblegumz and concerned stares for close to a minute. . Then it turned and ran tearing up the brush going up the other side of the creek.

They are pretty much whimps around western oregon.
We used to tree them all the time to exercise the hounds. Call off the dogs and watch and they come down and nearly go through their own azz getting out of there.
They are a truly "cool" animal.
I would give about anything to have their stamina. They are amazing . Not many animals can cover the distances they can and do it straight up for miles without a missed step. They dont even get winded. Even elk get strained in country that a black bear covers with ease.

Taku is right on the money. I've seen tons of bears over the years. Most all of em were running away. And the rest didn't appear to know I was there. Tho I was surprised I was that close to it. I really wasn't to worried.
When it started showing I replaced the the oo with sluggers for a bit more oomph in case it got to close to house or my dogs.

Reminds me of a one time date, in Florence... We both had Kayaks, mine, a home built, by a skilled professional, his designs have been in use for Fifty Years... Hers was a store bought.

We are on one of the many little lakes North of Florence.... We are having a good time, getting to know each others paddling, chatting to each other...

Now we have about crossed the lake, we hear brush movement, and @ 25 yards from shore, a small cub.... i am saying "Oh Look, isn't that Cute..."

SHE is petrified, and does a One Eighty in three strokes of her paddle, and I swear, enough speed, to pull a skier... ;)

I barely caught up, had she gone Farther, she would have "jumped" the dam & been in the Ocean!!!!! She needed toilet paper, if you know what I mean!

All over an 75/80 # little cub...

That was the last kayaking we did, but later, I hear how she picks up ~surfing~ She does not mind being around SHARKS, but the wee wittle bear, sqared her!!!!,

Thanks for the memories!!!!

philip,

In the BoonDocks, we invite them indoors to be Dinner Guests, they are the main course, of course !!!!!!

Reminds me of a one time date, in Florence... We both had Kayaks, mine, a home built, by a skilled professional, his designs have been in use for Fifty Years... Hers was a store bought.

We are on one of the many little lakes North of Florence.... We are having a good time, getting to know each others paddling, chatting to each other...

Now we have about crossed the lake, we hear brush movement, and @ 25 yards from shore, a small cub.... i am saying "Oh Look, isn't that Cute..."

SHE is petrified, and does a One Eighty in three strokes of her paddle, and I swear, enough speed, to pull a skier... ;)

I barely caught up, had she gone Farther, she would have "jumped" the dam & been in the Ocean!!!!! She needed toilet paper, if you know what I mean!

All over an 75/80 # little cub...

That was the last kayaking we did, but later, I hear how she picks up ~surfing~ She does not mind being around SHARKS, but the wee wittle bear, sqared her!!!!,

Thanks for the memories!!!!

philip,

In the BoonDocks, we invite them indoors to be Dinner Guests, they are the main course, of course !!!!!!

Very wise. Did she ever tell you that little cub has a momma and most likely real close.
That is one of the few times Black bears are not timid critters.

Don't be standing in their escape route
and don't mess with baby.

:s0114:

Taku, Understood. Yet, I just don't think MamaBear would think 25 yards of water between her cub & us, would be a "threat challenge" .... However, another similar incident, while hiking Lake Sonoma, California, brought me & hiker friend, within Fifteen yards, of Coyote Pups... In that incident, I was very sorry to trip my Hiking Partner, so I could have the Lead Position, in the 250 yard Sprint !!!!!!! ;)

philip, didn't move that fast in Basic Training!!!

Taku, Understood. Yet, I just don't think MamaBear would think 25 yards of water between her cub & us, would be a "threat challenge" .... However, another similar incident, while hiking Lake Sonoma, California, brought me & hiker friend, within Fifteen yards, of Coyote Pups... In that incident, I was very sorry to trip my Hiking Partner, so I could have the Lead Position, in the 250 yard Sprint !!!!!!! ;)

I'm not sure why.

Ohh, I thought you had gone onshore. :)

He was back tonight
ybahe2e4.jpg

True story from Oregon Coast.... A logger friend & his wife invite a bunch of us "Single Folk" to their house on Thanks Giving, he has some stuff for me out in his work shop... Its night, his honey says, where is your flash light? He says, its still broken...

I pullout mie, a MiniMag... He says "We Need a Bigger LIGHT"

"why"???? "For the Bear"

"How did you break your flashlight anyway"??????

"On the Bears NOSE"!!!!

Now that there, is a True Oregon Logger !!!!!!! His Beard alone would scare off Humans in the night.... I asked him why he didn't take a Base Ball Bat.... "They don't put flashlights on them...."

philip,
Bacon, Egg Sandwhich a cup of Coffee, and off to Church, but not in the BoonDocks!!!!

Westcoastal, my mom lives on Willowbrook Rd. and she always has bear, cougar, bobcat, deer and elk in her yard.

The bears around here don't bother me. Its the freaking cats!! Especially, when you can hear them scream, and you can't see them. You tend to shart your pants while running for the house/truck.

Very cool, But even cooler that you kept your composure. Most people are uneducated and live by hearsay fear that Black bears are mean or aggressive animals. Congrats again.

OP, Keep your garbage secure, stop putting out bird seed and lock your doors. They are very curious and great at opening unlocked sliding doors if they smell your Doritos in your house.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews