JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

What is your favorite to cook on the grill or BBQ.

• Total voters
Reactions
I'd bet many of you BBQ cooks out there get asked what your favorite BBQ sauce is...my pat answer is "The one I am currently trying" since the outdoor cooking season is almost here I thought I would share a couple hundred sauces and marinades with you. I have tried many of these with mostly favorable results.
Have fun and get going making your very own signature sauce.
http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/7003/sauces/sauces2/index.html

I'd bet many of you BBQ cooks out there get asked what your favorite BBQ sauce is...my pat answer is "The one I am currently trying" since the outdoor cooking season is almost here I thought I would share a couple hundred sauces and marinades with you. I have tried many of these with mostly favorable results.
Have fun and get going making your very own signature sauce.

There is an off season for outdoor cooking?:confused:

I just use Stubbs.

There is an off season for outdoor cooking?:confused:

I just use Stubbs.

Stubbs is a not too bad commercial sauce. If you want to take it to another level pick out some ingredients you find in that link above and add them to suit your taste. Example being you would be surprised at how much Stubbs or any other commercial sauce benefits just by adding 2 Tbls of unsulfured molasses.

The off season for competitions is Oct. to May in most parts of the country...pretty hard to keep a cooker up to BBQ temps when it's 20 degrees outside and the snow is up to a tall Norwegians wallet. If your flippin burgers no problem. May is also National BBQ month.

One I like really well is Rocky mountain BBQ sauce apricot flavor. I have found it at BiMart and I think it's made in eastern OR..

Back in the day... when that sauce first came out, more than a couple of teams were called to the stage for ribbons when they used it on their chicken and ribs. The local BBQ judges just swooned over it. It was tried at MIM with not much success unfortunately. It is a good sweet sauce if you are into them.

Tribal Moose Barbeque sauce made in Stayton, OR. with cranberries. I put it on everything except my steelcut oatmeal. Look for it online, by name.

I grill beef and BBQ pork. Since I am diabetic I created a rub that uses no sugar. That rub is so good that no one wants sauce so I pretty much don't bother making it anymore. Fun thread!

Now we are in my smokehouse. One of my standard BBQ sauces (usually for ribs) is a bottle of Sweet Baby Rays poured in a bowl, a tablespoon of habanero sauce, then a 16 oz jar of Oregon Marionberry preserves. Then add a heaping tablespoon of dried and crushed garlic and one of onion. Stir well and let sit out all day so the garlic and onion can soften. Sweet Baby Rays is a good 'base' to start with but needs extra help.

Nice post. While I like sauces fine I am a major fan of rubs. When it comes to pork I use a Memphis style rub more than any other.

Orge, I've cooked MIM 4 different times and got quite familiar with there style of BBQ and rubs. http://www.memphisinmay.org/worldchampionshipbbqcontest

I would have to agree that they are also my favorite compared to KC or Texas versions of dry rubs, both good but I still like Memphis. Google Interstate BBQ, Corky's or the Rendezvous in Memphis . I swear there are as many BBQ joints in that town as burger places.

That rub is so good that no one wants sauce so I pretty much don't bother making it anymore
I am almost completely non-sauce (with chicken anyway) now myself and pretty much just dry rub. I am really happy with some dry rubbed and smoked wings I am doing a lot of lately. The up side is they are great at room temp such as if carried for a snack out wheeling, shooting etc. A couple hours of smoking and then a short finish on the grill leaves them crispy on the outside and just right on the inside. They are 'dry' but are moist on the inside.

No option for "All of the above" on the poll?

When I sauce, I use the cheapest sauce I can find. Hunt's, Kraft, Sweet Baby Ray's what ever, $.99 a bottle, it's mostly corn syrup anyway. I'll add something to it, maybe.
If I'm getting serious and firing up the old Brinkman kettle....I use lump charcoal and some kind of fruit wood I've got laying around, always got alder or maple from the wood pile too. Rub/season with what ever strikes me at the time. After doing the cooking/smoking sometimes I'll finish of in the oven at low temp, THAT'S when some sauce of some kind might go on.

Fish, salmon or steelhead, will go on the gas grill with on of those nonstick coated racks, after a bit of marinade. Veggies get done on the grill after a marinade of sorts, olive oil, sea salt, dill, garlic.....Dump the veggies with the marinade (just enough to coat them) into the hot basket and get a bit of flame-up to scorch them a bit.

Mmm.

Use Bone Suckin Sauce on just about everything. Backup is the Cherry Pomegranate Habanero Sauce from Costco (BTW, this has almost no heat even though it claims Habanero).

Use pellet cooker year round for everything from Meats to Veggies to Deserts. The most versatile BBQ, Smoker, Grill etc etc I've ever owned.

I see only 3 votes for chicken in the above poll. Maybe we could up that number a bit if a few of you brave souls would try this non tomato based sauce on your grilled chicken. If you go and visit BBQ places in Alabama ya'll will find this sauce or a variation quite like it in most every home and eatin' place there. Good as a veggie dip as well.

2 cups mayonnaise
1 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup apple juice
2 tsp prepared horseradish
2 tsp ground black pepper
2 tsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper

mix all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
Let flavors mingle, covered in fridge, for 2 hrs. before using.
Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

The favorite of our home is the Spicy Grillin' and Dippin' Sauce from Oregon Hill Farms. Locally made without the high fructose corn syrup of the mass market brands (though we have been known to use Sweet Baby Ray's sauces as well).

<broken link removed>

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR