JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Sorry for the faulty memory!

Apparently it was the New York City employees pension fund that threatened to withdraw it's $$$ from any private equity fund who might purchase Cabela's.

Here is the article I miss-remembered:
How a Meaningless Attack on a Hunting Store Threatens Thousands of Jobs – InsideSources

The relevant statement is in the 6th or 7th paragraph.

"The problem is that private equity is leery of the purchase. Firms had shown interest earlier this year, but a mid-July report from the New York Times stated that the New York City employee pension fund was threatening to withdraw its money from any private equity fund that purchased Cabela's. At issue is simply that Cabela's, a hunting retailer, sells guns. The New York divestment push is part of a larger effort by anti-gun advocates to have major institutional investors abandon all gun holdings."

Sheldon

I work pretty close to the Tualatin Cabelas and kill a few lunch hours mostly browsing. Their stuff is generally overpriced IMO. Even their bargain cave is not that great of a savings. More like a "mark it up to mark it down" mole hole.
I dig the mounts and the fish tanks though :p

As the article stated Bass Pro is geared more to fishing, I'd say 60% of a stores inventory is fishing based. Guns, ammo were way overpriced, higher than Cabelas. Bass Pro's reloading, optics, knife selections are poor. along with camping gear.

I hope Bass Pro leaves Cabelas stores the way they are, geared more to the hunting and general outdoor enthusiast. I personally don't care for Bass Pro. I guess that's because, I'm not much into fishing.

Years ago, I shopped from the big catalogues quite extensively. Cabela's and Bass Pro were the only way to buy what the local sporting goods stores would never carry. I was excited when Cabela's first built a store in Lacey, Washington, followed by Springfield, Oregon. I made full day trips to both of these stores a number of times. First, they were so packed with people I could never really shop. Then when the crowds diminished, I discovered the selection was no way near what I could find in their catalogue. Add to this the very poor customer service, and I just kind've lost interest. We now have a third Cabela's store in Tualatin, just a half hour from me. I find myself there maybe once every couple of months, seldom finding anything to buy. So, Cabela's and Bass Pro combining forces? I'll sit back and see what happens.:D

Wouldn't it be nice to buy a brand new handgun from a place like Cabela's, and actually be able to buy a holster for the new gun, without having to go home and order it from the internet? Or even a decent belt to carry a holster on?

I know that carrying a large selection is very expensive. But since I buy from Cabela's catalogue, that should be proof that some of us are willing to pay a bit more just for the privilege of seeing a large selection in a store.

WAYNO.

Sorry to say Wayno, but you are in the vast minority of gun buyers--When I had a gun shop, I had a large stock of holsters, leather and kydex, in many functions--My prices were kept very close to internet pricing and yet most of those holsters that did move, did so because they were being stolen. Almost nobody ever bought a holster with a firearm purchase. I still have most of those holsters in a box, soon as the price doubles, I'll try to get what I paid back out of them :eek:

4.5 Billion, nice tidy sum. I doubt we as consumers will see much difference. It does reduce competition some though. We don't have any Bass pro Shops in the Northwest that I recall, but I have been to the ones in Springfield Mo, and in Oklahoma City. I have been to Cabela's in Sydney, Neb, too. The Tigard Cabela's is the largest I have been in. Both places have high prices, but the goods are there and you can see what you get. It will be good for Bass Pro Shop, less so for Cabela's people I would guess.
There is a bass pro shop in tacoma.

There's only one reason to go to bass pro... socks. Their redhead brand socks are awesome. I've really only been to either cabellas or bass pro a handful of times. The main reason I go, to check out scopes I'm thinking about buying. A few times I've bought scopes there as the price difference was pretty minimal from what I could get it for elsewhere. I've really never been impressed by the selection at either of these stores, I would rather go to fred meyer, walmart, or if I'm in the area, bimart, or one of the local chains.

I currently have a $500 gift certificate I have found nothing I want that bad from cabellas. Either way, looks like I should get motivated and spend it before it's too late.

Bass Pro Shops will be buying Cabelas for $5.5 billion. I know Cabelas was never the cheapest sporting goods retailer around but I have been to Bass Pro Shops and their prices are even higher than Cabelas.

I'm wondering if they will keep the Cabelas name or will rebrand all the stores as Bass Pro Shops.

Also the Cabelas credit card operations will be sold to Capital One and they will be issuing a Bass Pro Shops branded credit card.

Hunting, fishing, and camping retailer Bass Pro Shops is buying Cabela's for $5.5 billion
===========
The nice thing about Cabela's is the Gun Library (aka, used gun showroom) - for me, it was a way to get a nice semi-auto shotgun at a better price than new

I've bought ammo when they had it on sale and a few other odds and ends, but otherwise the local gun stores usually have better prices on firearms and the Internet does for everything else. I won't lose any sleep over it.

I can't see this turning out to be a good thing :(
I *Julius?* JUST can't see it hurting much unless a guy HAS to have 'Cabelas' on his hat or coat.
Everything they carry can be had some place else without their brand on it at a cheaper price.
If you're in Tacoma you can get a better selection of fishing gear at Sportco. Now the clothes are a little different (haven't been there in a bit) but Sportco had a terrific selection of cold layers and camo.
And guns. But there are plenty of places for that.
I do like to try clothes and footwear on instead of purchasing on line but the rest of cabelas stuff can be had cheaper
I like to buy local anyway.

Last Edited:
I Julius can't see it hurting much unless a guy HAS to have 'Cabelas' on his hat or coat.
Everything they carry can be had some place else without their brand on it at a cheaper price.
If you're in Tacoma you can get a better selection of fishing gear at Sportco. Now the clothes are a little different (haven't been there in a bit) but Sportco had a terrific selection of cold layers and camo.
And guns. But there are plenty of places for that.
I do like to try clothes and footwear on instead of purchasing on line but the rest of cabelas stuff can be had cheaper
I like to buy local anyway.

I can think of 5 gun stores, just off the top of my head, in Pierce County that are cheaper than Cabelas or BP

Personally I really like to walk through and see the decor. The way they set up the stores with the animal exhibits and fish ponds is cool, and nice to show the kids. However, I too agree the prices seem a little elevated. I assume its the fancy store costs. They do seem to have lots of what your looking for. Mostly I wait for big blow out prices on items I look for. It wont change anything for me I assume.

As said, its a shame the competitive factor is being reduced again.

It's humorous to see the comments from folks who didn't shop at Cabela's state that they won't shop at Bass Pro, either. What are you complaining about, then?

I just bought a Vortex rangefinder, from Cabela's, for $299...pretty much the cheapest price on the Internet. That being said, I'll continue to shop for the best price, be it Bass Pro Shops, North 40, Sportsman's Warehouse, or, wherever. No complaints.

Well the upside is the long term rumor of Cabela's opening up in Bend is over.
The gal at Cabelas told us last year that they weren't opening one in Bend due to the proximity of the store in Springfield/Eugene. Sounded stupid to me with that area being so outdoor oriented.... :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top