JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Bass Pro Shops will be buying Cabelas for $5.5 billion. I know Cabelas was never the cheapest sporting goods retailer around but I have been to Bass Pro Shops and their prices are even higher than Cabelas.

I'm wondering if they will keep the Cabelas name or will rebrand all the stores as Bass Pro Shops.

Also the Cabelas credit card operations will be sold to Capital One and they will be issuing a Bass Pro Shops branded credit card.

Hunting, fishing, and camping retailer Bass Pro Shops is buying Cabela's for $5.5 billion

These buy-outs are generally good for only the shareholders. I have noticed prices are up and quality down over the last couple years at Cabela's. Return policy not as liberal as it used to be. Oh well, best to find a local store and keep our money local as best we can.

I know Cabelas was never the cheapest sporting goods retailer

Youngster or just short memory? :)

They both started in the mail order biz for fishing gear and lures. Used to be half the price of anybody else in the '80s. Success ruined that. I haven't drooled over one of their catalogs in many many years.

Years ago, I shopped from the big catalogues quite extensively. Cabela's and Bass Pro were the only way to buy what the local sporting goods stores would never carry. I was excited when Cabela's first built a store in Lacey, Washington, followed by Springfield, Oregon. I made full day trips to both of these stores a number of times. First, they were so packed with people I could never really shop. Then when the crowds diminished, I discovered the selection was no way near what I could find in their catalogue. Add to this the very poor customer service, and I just kind've lost interest. We now have a third Cabela's store in Tualatin, just a half hour from me. I find myself there maybe once every couple of months, seldom finding anything to buy. So, Cabela's and Bass Pro combining forces? I'll sit back and see what happens.:D

Wouldn't it be nice to buy a brand new handgun from a place like Cabela's, and actually be able to buy a holster for the new gun, without having to go home and order it from the internet? Or even a decent belt to carry a holster on?

I know that carrying a large selection is very expensive. But since I buy from Cabela's catalogue, that should be proof that some of us are willing to pay a bit more just for the privilege of seeing a large selection in a store.

WAYNO.

Didn't Bass Pro pull MSRs from the shelves during the last couple of shootings?

I don't really shop at Cabelas. I loved having the discount when I worked at Sportsmans.

Truthfully, none of these stores compete with the internet.

If I'm in one of these stores it's because I'm bored.

4.5 Billion, nice tidy sum. I doubt we as consumers will see much difference. It does reduce competition some though. We don't have any Bass pro Shops in the Northwest that I recall, but I have been to the ones in Springfield Mo, and in Oklahoma City. I have been to Cabela's in Sydney, Neb, too. The Tigard Cabela's is the largest I have been in. Both places have high prices, but the goods are there and you can see what you get. It will be good for Bass Pro Shop, less so for Cabela's people I would guess.

The thing is, it gives Bass Pro a "monopoly" on that sort of business so they can pretty much set their prices at what they want. No competitor to worry about. Hopefully the internet stores will keep them in check.

The thing is, it gives Bass Pro a "monopoly" on that sort of business so they can pretty much set their prices at what they want. No competitor to worry about. Hopefully the internet stores will keep them in check.

True. A lot of times I will buy from Midway USA and pay for the shipping because it's cheaper than ordering from Cabelas with free shipping to the store.

I think I read that New York PERS threatened to sell their shares of Bass Pro if they bought Cabelas because Cabelas sells firearms!!!

Sheldon

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads