JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
With that short of a barrel this probably results in .45ACP performance from a .45-70 cartridge.

Shoot it over your lawn so that all the unburnt powder flying from the muzzle can, at least, fertilize the grass.

There will most likely be a few on the used market before long that have been fired only a few times. Can see the ad's now. Like new in box, comes with most of one box of ammo. :s0140:
Agree, only buyers would be people who must try the new gadget that just came out and people who want to say "I have a 45-70 pistol, I'm such a badass" (snicker, cough, snicker).

Fun range toy, I suppose, although watching the hammer bite into the web of Scott's hand in slow motion was not encouraging.
At the price they go for I would LOVE to shoot one if someone else bought it. :D
Hell even the ammo is pricey but not like you are going to burn much. I did not watch the entire video but has anyone tested one to see if they are actually getting much out of them? Have to wonder if its not a lot of flash and not much power gain since so much has got to be wasted?

At the price they go for I would LOVE to shoot one if someone else bought it. :D
Hell even the ammo is pricey but not like you are going to burn much. I did not watch the entire video but has anyone tested one to see if they are actually getting much out of them? Have to wonder if its not a lot of flash and not much power gain since so much has got to be wasted?
Scott clocked one of them at about 750 FPS. Given their relatively short effective range accuracy-wise, that seems like plenty of oomph.

Scott clocked one of them at about 750 FPS. Given their relatively short effective range accuracy-wise, that seems like plenty of oomph.
Does that translate into better than something in say .45 Colt then? I "guess" if in country where you might run into the large bears one of these would beat hell out of nothing but, I think I would prefer something in a 5 shooter at least,

Does that translate into better than something in say .45 Colt then? I "guess" if in country where you might run into the large bears one of these would beat hell out of nothing but, I think I would prefer something in a 5 shooter at least,
405 grain 45-70 at 750 fps, energy = 506
02105DF6-9201-4633-81A0-95B52A1A19D7.jpeg

.45 acp slightly less than that
2F2A65F2-25DC-4C4F-A59B-7352E9DEB2C4.jpeg
The cyclops gimmick gun is a freaking joke (IMO).

Last Edited:
45/70 goes anywhere from 250 to 400 grain, whereas .45 Colt I usually see 160 to 230. Velocity can be anywhere from 725 to 1700 FPS.

Let's assume a 400 grn bullet in the Cyclops, and compare it to a Buffalo Bore 300 grn bullet going 1300 FPS, per a recipe from the web:

Cyclops:
(750*750*400)/450240 = 500 ft lbs

.45 Colt
(1300*1300*300)/450240 = 1126 ft lbs

So the .45 can be loaded to beat the snot out of the load that Scott was shooting. But does it typically?

I looked for a more pedestrian load, and CCI Blazer 200 gr JHP goes 1000 FPS.
(1000*1000*200)/450240 = 444

A hunting cartridge:
Barnes 200 gr hunting cartridge:
(1025*1025*200)/450240 = 466

A self defense round:
Civil Defense 78 gn +P hollow point:
(1900*1900*78)/450240 = 625

So it seems like on average, they're pretty close.

EDIT: I get done with all the math and click Post, and ilikegunspdx has these fancy charts and bubblegum. :rolleyes:

:s0111: :D

I highly doubt you would get 750 fps from that rig. The short dewll time coupled with the slow rifle powder used in the .45-70 would make gaining velocity tough.

Anybody have a copy of Quick Load and be willing to run the numbers?

To compare this to a std. 45ACP load in a 5" barrel 1911 for self defense is a joke 7rds of 230gr slugs compared to any load that wouldn't just waste powder out the muzzle is not even worth discussing. Its a toy for people with more money then brains.

Out of those BA's it's all relative and everything takes a step down with that short of a barrel. None of which are good for anything other than close quarters. Purely novelty "gut guns" for any practical purpose.

They are quite fun though and the main selling point, for me, is you really only have to have a single frame... then strap on whatever caliber and barrel length you want for a variety. The price tag is steep, but considering you can have a whole new pocket rocket for another hundred a pop isn't such a bad deal.

If that's your thing....

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top