JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I love dogs but I hate bubblegumty dog owners. The strobe might be a good way to start though. ;)

I would file another report with animal control and the authorities and keep filing and calling. I would also encourage others to continue to call every time the barking is a nuisance. Create a history and document the pattern of problems. Not sure about Salem, but Hillsboro has a 10 min policy of listening and if it barks consistently they will issue a citation. The problem was for us was that you didn't know when they would come out...It might be three days later.

Bottom line IMO...If it is or becomes a threat to you and/or your family, end it.

Loosen a couple of the fence boards, let the dog get thru. Not far from it, get a dog sized cage trap. Bait it with some tasty meat. Once the dog is in the trap(on your property...), take the beast for a looooong drive. Maybe to Vancouver. Release the hound. Repeat if necessary.
If you happen to get a sample of the offending dogs poo, pick it up with a plastic bag and pack it under the car door handles.

I think I would drop the offending mutt with the animal shelter or humane society, instead of releasing to some random neighborhood. If its tagged or chipped they will fine the guy for the loose dog. If he does not pick pooch up, dog gets the needle or a new home. Shame for the dog if it winds up dead over a crappy owner but maybe living with the crappy owner is a worse fate.

No habla... no problem. ICE. La migra. Viva Trump... MAGA i'm sure said neighbor would understand that bit of English.
Sounds to me like your neighbor might be dealing drugs mmmmm lots of people coming and going at all hours dog is always barking .lol at least that would be my story .and you saw him burying something in the back yard in the middle of the night so on and so on lol . Or just leave the gate open and hope the dog gets out and when it runs down the street be ready to follow it in your truck mmmmm accidents happen

ever get up late night to pee? CALL THEM and hang up

Boat grade safety air horn.....late night.

Got a load car or truck? out front of their house idleing or more, late night

There is a lot of thing you can do, most legally, some stooping to their level that you can do.

wont be a quick solution, you are not going to become buds, but your point will hit home.
Use a phone other than your own. (I have and old pay as you go that was originally bought by a deceased person years back. you get these at yard sales FYI!)

I wouldn't have asked here...

I'd have handled the issue quietly and silently. I don't have issues with felines around here.

I love dogs but I hate bubblegumty dog owners. The strobe might be a good way to start though. ;)

I would file another report with animal control and the authorities and keep filing and calling. I would also encourage others to continue to call every time the barking is a nuisance. Create a history and document the pattern of problems. Not sure about Salem, but Hillsboro has a 10 min policy of listening and if it barks consistently they will issue a citation. The problem was for us was that you didn't know when they would come out...It might be three days later.

Bottom line IMO...If it is or becomes a threat to you and/or your family, end it.
I belive in Multnomah county you have to get a form and have other neighbors sign the complaint, then submit it to animal control before they will get off their bubblegum and do anything.

A couple docalax in a hotdog has always calmed things down...or so I hear. Funny when a couple days later the carpet cleaning van shows up in the barking dog's driveway. Or so I have heard.

Go to the Asian market and get a Durian Fruit.

Looks like a Mellon with spikes and smells gawd aweful.

Plug your nose, crack it open and start chucking hunks of it over the fence.

Shouldn't hurt the dog but may overwhelm his and the owners noses if you do it often enough (I am not advocating throwing the spiked husk over there...).

I would not use an air horn or poison/feed the dog. The first punishes your neighbors as well and the second is not humane and could get you in trouble legally.

Not worth loosing your guns over imo.

I had a cat poisoned as a kid and it was truly heartbreaking to watch our pet suffer until my parents realized what happened and put it down.

As several others have said, you have a bubblegumty neighbor problem not a barking dog problem. Strobe is passive aggressive and will solve nothing. If you haven't knocked on their door and politely stated your frustration you should. Might be a good idea to bring a nonthreatening neighbor along as a witness.
If the barking continues, and it probably will, maybe you could "rescue" the dog and turn him in as a stray a couple towns away. Obviously you wouldn't want to use your real identity if there's any paperwork. Tell no one.
Dog might find a better home but will likely get the needle since it's a Pit. Don't be shocked if the Aholes next door immediately get a replacement.

As several others have said, you have a bubblegumty neighbor problem not a barking dog problem. Strobe is passive aggressive and will solve nothing. If you haven't knocked on their door and politely stated your frustration you should. Might be a good idea to bring a nonthreatening neighbor along as a witness.
If the barking continues, and it probably will, maybe you could "rescue" the dog and turn him in as a stray a couple towns away. Obviously you wouldn't want to use your real identity if there's any paperwork. Tell no one.
Dog might find a better home but will likely get the needle since it's a Pit. Don't be shocked if the Aholes next door immediately get a replacement.

Call around, there are no kill shelters and foundations in the area for high risk animals like pits

Actually lots of us gave you advice that is illegal I am guessing just to be funny or sarcastic but given the reputation of PIT BULLS it's not that big a deal just say it's a dangerous animal and is growling at the kids in the area and you are afraid it's going to attach some one they will come and take it and if like you say it's just chain in back yard all day and night call the humane society and tell them they will investigate it and probably take the dog

Last Edited:
Pit bulls are not generically dangerous or bad dogs...

Take a video of the house with the dog barking - not sure if your county but Clark has a 10 continuous min law and they will do something if you have proof.

My good buddy had some work done on his house. When the work was done, there were some "issues" that needed fixing. It took numerous phone calls and FINALLY the guy shows up to fix the problems.

When the maintenance guy showed up at his house, my buddy tells him to wait a minute while he put his Rottweiler in the upstairs bedroom. He made the guy stand outside on the front porch and closed the door. When the dog was in the bedroom he goes downstairs and lets the guy in the house.

When the maintenance guy was re-repairing the issue, while reaching through a small space, down low, in a contorted position, cursing the entire time, he must have scraped his hand (or something).

When all was said and done, the maintenance left. Dirty, sore, tired and still cursing because of having to re-repair the issue.

Two days later there was a knock on my buddies door. It was the Clark County Animal Control. They had a report that their Rottie bit the maintenance guy on the hand. They showed him pictures of a scrape on the hand. My buddy explained what happened, and showed them the area the guy was working.

It didn't make a difference as there was an official report and "marks" on the guys hand.

The dog was put on a 30 day quarantine.

If your neighbors dog ends up in your yard, and does anything to you, you should have the right to file an official report.

No opinion on this problem, but when it comes to barking dogs, my neighbors actually like it when my dogs bark.

We and the neighbors live on 10 acre parcels, and they can't see the road from their house, so when my dogs start barking they know there's a good chance that a car is on the road. My dogs are like an early warning system.

Of course, they bark at other inconsequential things too. But that's the nature of living in… uh, nature.

No opinion on this problem, but when it comes to barking dogs, my neighbors actually like it when my dogs bark.

We and the neighbors live on 10 acre parcels, and they can't see the road from their house, so when my dogs start barking they know there's a good chance that a car is on the road. My dogs are like an early warning system.

Of course, they bark at other inconsequential things too. But that's the nature of living in… uh, nature.
Yep but there is a difference between a dog barking to let you know that someone is at your door or on your property but a dog that just bark's all day and night for no reason is a problem dog SOME SAY THE BEST GAURD DOGS ARE THE ONES THAT DON'T BARK THEY LET THE BAD GUY IN THEN EAT THEM LOL

Yep but there is a difference between a dog barking to let you know that someone is at your door or on your property but a dog that just bark's all day and night for no reason is a problem dog SOME SAY THE BEST GAURD DOGS ARE THE ONES THAT DON'T BARK THEY LET THE BAD GUY IN THEN EAT THEM LOL
Yeah, I get it. That's why I didn't offer an opinion on the OP because my situation is completely different.

I would agree a dog that won't shut up indicates a problem owner. Also, I'd rather the dogs ate the bad guy outside because clean up would be a lot easier.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top