JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just found out that with the checking account that I have, I get a free bank safe deposit box. Is this something I should take advantage of to store important documents and such or is it better off to keep them at home?

SHTF wise I am thinking I should have everything with me and not some random location, but then again I am thinking it if became a grab and go suituation, the last thinking I would think of are all my papers locked up in the safe.

Last Edited:
SHTF a bank would be the worst place to have anything you care about. The bank will greet you with a locked door. The creeps that control our financial system already have a phrase that the explain the situation - a bank holiday. During this holiday the bank gets to shield you from your money, papers, etc as the dollar plunges. In other countries, including Great Britain, the state has confiscated safety deposit contents in the last couple years and even done random snooping.

The worst place to store anything of value down the road will be a 'safe' deposit box. You are entrusting something valuable to parasites.

I would suggest storing certified copies of your important documents in the box seeing as it is free. In the event something happens to the originals, you'll have a backup.

Beyond SHTF, there are scenarios including fire, flood, tornado, earthquake, burglary, death and mice when it is very useful to have a copy (or the original) documents for your home and life insurance, deeds, titles, birth certificates, wills, etc.
And the price is right.

Beyond SHTF, there are scenarios including fire, flood, tornado, earthquake, burglary, death and mice when it is very useful to have a copy (or the original) documents for your home and life insurance, deeds, titles, birth certificates, wills, etc.
And the price is right.

I agree - you're much more likely to encounter one of these disasters in your life than a TEOTWAWKI situation. Having important documents, or copies, in a bank vault somewhere can be a real blessing in those situations. Depending on your worries about a "bank holiday", you can decide whether to keep the originals or copies in the bank.

Even during SHTF I think having a safety deposit box is a good thing.

Yes, you must come to the grim understanding that when things start to get bad, your chances of pulling out anything from the bank are null. There is even a chance of someone sifting through your safety deposit box looking for anything of value (probably the bank manager or some government funded agent to confiscate gold/silver). Other than that, even after a collapse I think it should be safe. I recommend keeping copies of your Deed of Trust to your house, your birth certificate(s), medical records, passport(s) and or other IDs. I keep a copy of the aforementioned with a copy of DD-214 (military service record) in my safety deposit box at my bank as well.

The definition of "terrorist" appears to be shifting from middle easterners to the average American. I think it is entirely possible that more and more of us will be considered enemy combatants by our feral government...especially veterans and gun owners. Look at the idiotic "No-Fly List". Or, they can label people as assorted criminals and drug dealers. Then, (under color of law or not) they will say that they can have our assets frozen or seized.

Think about the woman who recently had her "arsenal" seized for no apparent legal reason.

According to this article, safe deposit box seizures/thefts have already taken place. https://goldsilver.com/news/british...osits-ahead-of-the-global-financial-collapse/

I would put backup copies of documents in a free safe deposit box in case of a natural disaster, but not valuables. You can fire-proof a safe, hidden place in your home for that. I have heard od too many times over the decades when safe deposit boxes were raided by govrnment agencies, and sometimes by banks themselves. I don't trust them with that.

I put backup copies of important papers in sealed mylar in some 2" sch. 40 PVC pipe, dropped in an oxygen absorber in the mylar bag, glued the ends on well, and buried it about 2' deep in the yard away from the house (in case it burns.) I put it right next to something that isn't combustible, and won't move so I can find it. There's nothing valuable in there to anyone but me or my wife.

I would put backup copies of documents in a free safe deposit box in case of a natural disaster, but not valuables. You can fire-proof a safe, hidden place in your home for that. I have heard od too many times over the decades when safe deposit boxes were raided by govrnment agencies, and sometimes by banks themselves. I don't trust them with that.

Smart man. Thinking independently and self-reliant. Not depending on a bank. Sad that most Americans have no clue that the real terrorists are the banking elite Euro families that control our nation's money supply and finances. Yes, banking on some level is necessary. But to put any faith in a bank is giving the robbers your blessing.

What is wrong with buying one of those little fire proof safes to put your documents in?
Hide it on your property somewhere.
Bury it like the drug dealers do.Hide it in an out building.Hide it at a family member's place.

If SHTF,then as stated,the bank would be the last place to keep anything important.

get your self a 2 foot long piece of 10 in diamiter pvc pipe with a end cap and a screw cap put your stuff you need like pistol private papers. put it in a back pack and bury it some place safe . put your papers in a sealameal bag spray your gun with with a good silicone lubricant and put it in a silicone baggie drop in a couple mags and ammo a good knife and lighter. just looking out .thats what i would do :D

get your self a 2 foot long piece of 10 in diamiter pvc pipe with a end cap and a screw cap put your stuff you need like pistol private papers. put it in a back pack and bury it some place safe . put your papers in a sealameal bag spray your gun with with a good silicone lubricant and put it in a silicone baggie drop in a couple mags and ammo a good knife and lighter. just looking out .thats what i would do :D

Like everything but the backpack part.That will collect bugs more than just the pipe.The pipe can be had at some of those used building material stores too,for cheap.You may go to a local utility contractor and find some scraps

Like everything but the backpack part.That will collect bugs more than just the pipe.The pipe can be had at some of those used building material stores too,for cheap.You may go to a local utility contractor and find some scraps
:s0114: im sorry i did not make myself clear the back pack is to carry the pvc pipe with all its contents to your hiding place you also put in a folding shovel in the back pack to dig with. i used a post hole digger

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top