JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My buddy Jerry and I went into the Idaho desert this past Saturday to shoot sage rats, whistle pigs, whatever you call them. Off in the distance I see something running through the sage brush chasing the little varmits. I realize it is a badger, Jerry says he's going to close the distance and starts driving towards it and it retreats into it's den. After watching for a few minutes we decided to put out the predator call playing wounded rabbit. Sure enough she pops her head up and I decide to take a shot aiming for her nose. I was a little off because I shot through her right eye. I've kept the head to clean off because I've always wanted a badger skull.
Badger1.jpg
Badger2.jpg
Badger3.jpg

Only time I've ever seen one in the wild was when I was driving in the wee hours of the morning on a county road. Not the type of thing you expect to see just running along the side of the road.

Last Edited:
Lot's of native Idahoans have told me they have seen one or none in there life, I got lucky. I won't shoot another if I see one but I saved a family of whistle pigs to shoot another day.:D

Badgers are great whistlepig hunters. My neighbor shoots badgers, but I can't bring myself to it.
It's all about time and place. If you got one making holes in a pasture, it's got to go. If you got one digging under fence posts, it's got to go.

Other then that, it's got a job to do

Lot's of native Idahoans have told me they have seen one or none in there life, I got lucky. I won't shoot another if I see one but I saved a family of whistle pigs to shoot another day.:D
I see them quite a bit around here is SW Idaho. Sometimes running across the road too. I went after one of my cats with a flashlight last year only to find my cat was a badger...lol
I retreated quickly

Didn't mean to stir up the group. I realize a lot of people hunt for trophy.
I did many years ago too, but only part went on the wall, the rest went into the pot. ;)

I do make 2 exceptions these days though, Starlings and Rats.:D

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top