JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Making the trip for 7 days hunting elk in the rain would likely be a waist of time? What do you think? Can't image packing one out in the rain? Ideas? Hunting the Starkey Unit. What do you think? Stay home or go? Thanks....

When it comes to hunting and "go or don't go", my default is always "go". :)

I'm not sure about hunting in the rain being a waste of time for elk. I often joke about a high dollar Under Armour shirt I was wearing when I killed my biggest bull, but he probably wasn't all that impressed because I was wearing a cheap packable rain jacket from Sportsman's Warehouse when I killed him. That was during an early season archery hunt, but it was raining.

I would go.
Bring good work-rated raingear....I like Carhartt breathable.
Bring good tarps and plenty of rope and bungees so you can set up a community area out of the rain.
A ladder is always handy, too.

I personally have seen more elk and deer in the rain than on a nice day. I believe that the animals know that they cant hear or smell as well in rainy weather and are on up and about, alert. There are few experiences I know that compare to carrying a metal rod in your hands on top of a mountain in a lightning storm. Been there done it and dont want to do it again.

We have always had more successful hunts in weather on both the west and east side. In my opinion, both deer and elk move around more and hang more in the open. I would be looking forward to some weather but also would be ensuring I had cloths to keep me warm and a place to dry them each night. Doesn't matter what gear you wear, you will get wet if it is raining hard enough.

That's easy go. Have good gear and glass , glass, glass. Under tress, in the thick stuff. Just shot my cow last week. All I ever saw was an ear under a tree. Then another head and more and more. Ended being about 8 or so and a bull. They are not going anywhere just cause it rains. Plus, many hunters are fair weather hunters. Less people out means better opportunity.

Another advantage of bad weather is no moon lit nights that animals can feed under meaning they will.be out later in the morning feeding..

dress for success. stay dry clothes etc. always better hunting in bad wheather rain snow whatever. many a day i got back to camp/truck with couple inches of snow on my hat and steam rolling off my clothes. i am a little old for that nowadays but still miss it.

I just moved from La Grande, OR up to NW Montana and I used to hunt the Starkey unit pretty regularly. I would implore you that if you decide to travel to the east side to hunt then please clean up after yourself. On more than one occasion I've spent a significant amount of time cleaning up trash from camps left by folks that came and hunted but left all of their crap for someone else to pick up. I left one camp with the bed of my truck full. I must've spent 4 hours cleaning up that camp site. There were so many empty whisky and beer bottles those old kids couldn't have shot straight if a critter did stumble into 'em.
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not accusing you of being the one that dumped all the trash or that you would. Let's call it a reminder that the areas that folks travel into to recreate is the backyard for those of us that live there.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top