JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My buddy Jerry and I went into the Idaho desert this past Saturday to shoot sage rats, whistle pigs, whatever you call them. Off in the distance I see something running through the sage brush chasing the little varmits. I realize it is a badger, Jerry says he's going to close the distance and starts driving towards it and it retreats into it's den. After watching for a few minutes we decided to put out the predator call playing wounded rabbit. Sure enough she pops her head up and I decide to take a shot aiming for her nose. I was a little off because I shot through her right eye. I've kept the head to clean off because I've always wanted a badger skull.
Badger1.jpg
Badger2.jpg
Badger3.jpg

Only time I've ever seen one in the wild was when I was driving in the wee hours of the morning on a county road. Not the type of thing you expect to see just running along the side of the road.

Last Edited:
Lot's of native Idahoans have told me they have seen one or none in there life, I got lucky. I won't shoot another if I see one but I saved a family of whistle pigs to shoot another day.:D

Badgers are great whistlepig hunters. My neighbor shoots badgers, but I can't bring myself to it.
It's all about time and place. If you got one making holes in a pasture, it's got to go. If you got one digging under fence posts, it's got to go.

Other then that, it's got a job to do

Lot's of native Idahoans have told me they have seen one or none in there life, I got lucky. I won't shoot another if I see one but I saved a family of whistle pigs to shoot another day.:D
I see them quite a bit around here is SW Idaho. Sometimes running across the road too. I went after one of my cats with a flashlight last year only to find my cat was a badger...lol
I retreated quickly

Didn't mean to stir up the group. I realize a lot of people hunt for trophy.
I did many years ago too, but only part went on the wall, the rest went into the pot. ;)

I do make 2 exceptions these days though, Starlings and Rats.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads