JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Somewhat long post...
If one replies....
Please take the time to read , but do not read into what I am saying.

I will not tell someone what they should do or not do....Its not my place.

I can say this :
If I was a rancher or farmer...and had an issue with problem animals who were destructive or harming my crops and or livestock...
Then yes shooting them could / would be part of the solution.

But if I am out in the wilds / public lands / my hunting spot , etc...
And I see a varmint or predatory animal , just going about his business , then I will leave him alone...
Even if it is legal for me to shoot him.
I am in his "house" now so to speak...and he ain't bothering me....so no need for me to shoot him.

Please note the emphasis on the "me"...
This is my choice.
What someone else does is their choice...even if I don't like it...its still their choice to make.

I do like to hunt...and I was taught that :
The killing of an animal needs to be done with respect and for a purpose.
And what we kill we eat...
So ...I have no interest in killing a animal unless I am planing on eating it...

With that said...
I have shot and killed coyotes that were bothersome to a friend who had a farm...
Didn't eat those...but that goes back to my first part of my post here.
Andy

Somewhat long post...
If one replies....
Please take the time to read , but do not read into what I am saying.

I will not tell someone what they should do or not do....Its not my place.

I can say this :
If I was a rancher or farmer...and had an issue with problem animals who were destructive or harming my crops and or livestock...
Then yes shooting them could / would be part of the solution.

But if I am out in the wilds / public lands / my hunting spot , etc...
And I see a varmint or predatory animal , just going about his business , then I will leave him alone...
Even if it is legal for me to shoot him.
I am in his "house" now so to speak...and he ain't bothering me....so no need for me to shoot him.

Please note the emphasis on the "me"...
This is my choice.
What someone else does is their choice...even if I don't like it...its still their choice to make.

I do like to hunt...and I was taught that :
The killing of an animal needs to be done with respect and for a purpose.
And what we kill we eat...
So ...I have no interest in killing a animal unless I am planing on eating it...

With that said...
I have shot and killed coyotes that were bothersome to a friend who had a farm...
Didn't eat those...but that goes back to my first part of my post here.
Andy
This is where I'm at, just didn't want to type all of that

Growing up I was taught to utilize what I killed, so I have eaten many things most probably haven't. I draw the line at possum though. I have hit a few with a vehicle but the only time I thought about shooting one I declined after remembering an encounter with one several years prior. Me and a buddy were gearing up to go night fishing on a beach near our houses. We had parked at the pull out and were getting our gear out of the car when my buddy says do you hear that? Something was definitely rustling around in the ditch about 25yds ahead of us. My buddy grabs his mag light and we walk over and shine on a possum eating something. As we got closer the possum ambles off and we get a look at his feast. It was a well soiled baby diaper some miscreant had thrown in the ditch. :confused:
This thread is getting better by the minute!

This^^^

I don't get all the "I don't shoot it unless I eat it" crowd... They are considered predatory wildlife.

You mean nature has predatory wildlife that eat other wildlife? I'm shocked. I never knew this. Destructive varmints on your property being another story.

Last Edited:
I posted earlier but I do agree if a wild animal is threatening your livestock or damaging your land it is a different story. There are others who just like killing anything on 4 legs and I don't get that. We are all different and it really is none of my business what others do but I can have an opinion.
James

I don't discriminate, if the ranchers says shoot it, I shoot it. All legal of course.

badger.jpg badger3.jpg

i shot a badger in self defense while scouting once. SOB popped up 2 feet from me hissing/growling. i screamed like a little girl and then dumped it with a 22lr. during hunting season a badger ran over to my deer that i had just shot. that one got a 308 to the face.

mean buggers.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads