JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bought a pistol the 15th and was told at least a week, and the queue was over 6k. I was approved instantly. I do have a chl, so maybe thats why?
ETA: I did NOT use my ssn either on the forms.

I am excited to go to a pawn shop tomorrow and see how long my background check will take.
I'm pretty excited too. Something always follows me home from there.
My longest BGC wait ever occurred last time I was there. 10 minutes.
Bright side is that it's sandwiched between two strip clubs, if you're so inclined. Just don't get a roast beef sandwich if you're sitting anywhere near the rack.

I am usually a instant approval and today I was told it would be 3 weeks to do a background check I bought a gun last month and it took 2minuets is this normal have you heard if this is temporary or is it going to be the normal

Unless some drastic change happened with your criminal history in the last month, odds are the dealer entered something incorrectly into the Oregon FICS system.

Ask them if they will re-run your background as you are usually an instant approval.

Did a background check today, around10:15am, by the time they plugged it in, I was #3 out of 7000 in the que.

Employee asked me if I had a CHL, because I only gave him my Driver's License, I responded yes and at 10:25am I walked out with my rifle.

Didn't input my SSN in the 4473 either.

Had a pistol shipped from a WA vendor here on the forum to Sporting Systems in Vancouver. They told me 2-3 weeks. I'm just outside the city limits so the county does the BGC. They are known to take longer than VPD.

Waiting sucks for sure. Not having ammo to shoot in it when I get it, sucks even more.

Ran into an issue the last time (and the time before that) dealing with Tropics.
I usually use them vs Sporting Systems do to them being open on Sunday and to a lesser extent, price. Not anymore. I'd much rather be inconvenienced (waiting in line outside in the rain and cold) and pay a little more at Sporting Systems. Dan and the crew have always done right by me and to top it off, Dan puts his money where his mouth is with regards to supporting the 2A and fighting all the anti 2A BS....YMMV

Last Edited:
Had a pistol shipped from a WA vendor here on the forum to Sporting Systems in Vancouver. They told me 2-3 weeks. I'm just outside the city limits so the county does the BGC. They are known to take longer than VPD.

Waiting sucks for sure. Not having ammo to shoot in it when I get it, sucks even more.

Ran into an issue the last time (and the time before that) dealing with Tropics.
I usually use them vs Sporting Systems do to them being open on Sunday and to a lesser extent, price. Not anymore. I'd much rather be inconvenienced (waiting in line outside in the rain and cold) and pay a little more at Sporting Systems. Dan and the crew have always done right by me and to top it off, Dan puts his money where his mouth is with regards to supporting the 2A and fighting all the anti 2A BS....YMMV

Agreed tropic sucks now !

I'm just irritated because I've bought many guns I mean many I've never had this problem we will see I've alway been cleared with in minutes if we have record sales then maybe the state should be hiring more screeners
It could be the firearm there might be one that has been reported stolen that has a similar SN or model and OSP has to look at them before they can release it.

All good advise but in my case I went to the dealer yesterday the guy working there said they can't put in a wrong number etc. as if everything doesn't match as its entered the program kicks it back. They have no idea why I was delayed. I have called OSP 10 times in the last 41 days including a call to one of the supervisors phones. No return call nothing.

I have purchased three firearms resulting in 2 background checks between Jan 16 and Feb 6 and I immediately jumped to third on the list of 7400+ each time and was on my way in ten minutes. That's with my zip code being wrong on my CHL, even.

Compare that to two trades I did early to mid 2020, each of which took over a week to clear the background check.

I have a friend in Beaverton with a spotless record and a unique name who waited from July to November to get an M&P9.

Doesn't seem to be a rhyme or reason to it.

Another thing, coming off the rumor mill from the guy behind the counter at my FLGS: the OSP Unit responsible for the BGC lost two employees very recently and just finished training one other so most CHL holders are being bumped to the top just to ease the workload.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top