JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I've come across black bears when bumming about the woods...
As of yet , I get a great view of their rump when they notice me and run off.
I am "bear aware" so to speak when out in the woodline ... but I am more worried about some scruffy two legged critters I have seen in the woods , than any wildlife.

Keep a clean camp , pay attention to what is going on around you and you should be fine.
As to a handgun ....
I prefer a 1911 in .45 acp or some sort of revolver in .357 , 44 special or .45 Colt.
Andy

In a field test done by a biologist, testing Bear Bells in Alaska proved of no realized benefit. Data out of Glacier National park suggest that bears only charged those not wearing bells (not sure how that was proven). As it stands, Bells seem to be a 50/50 chance at best. Other collected data suggests that the most efficient deterrent is Bear Spray, if self defense is ultimately needed. Not to say that a firearm is a bad choice, but the key is: if you do not kill it with the first or second shot, you probably will be. The best defense is to make noise, let them know you are there and be aware of your surroundings when in Bear Country. Don't be walking around with headphones on grooving to some tunes, or texting your photo in the wilderness to your friends with the bear in the background!:confused:

For decades I carried a Ruger Blackhawk in the underpowered .357 magnum. It was stoked with five beans in the wheel as the Duke once said. I was told as a youngster to shoot three times and then reload. I killed a black bear, mountain lion, deer, and a lot of jack rabbits. I owned a Glock 20. The revolver is truly versatile. Hard cast lead Kieth style bullets being a top choice for large boned game. I shot out to 110 yards with it. The next choice for me would be a Blackhawk in 45 Colt using the hard cast bullets and Lil'gun powder. The GP100 is capable of 1600 fps.Now I own a 1980's Smith &Wesson 686 plus. I admire the S&W model 69. Stick with one good trail gun you can count on. One you can hit with.Keep it in a flap holster. Use new nickel plated cases for your long term potent ammo. Shoot a lot of jack rabbits. A interchangeable front sight is a great idea.Good luck
. As far as carry guns, when training outdoorsmen, I ask the question......are you going to carry it more or shoot it more.....if you are going to spend a lot of time on the range or plinking, a heavier gun is better......... if you are going to Cary it a lot and not shoot much.....go light. The S&W titanium guns are scary light and having never shot a heavy load in one.....I am sure they are a "bear" to shoot but in the moment you won't notice. Someone earlier said he has a 329 (is that right?) in 44 mag. Off course.....I love my 629 and it is really effective for small game with shot shells......but for a carry gun, how cool would a 25 ounce 44 magnum be?

In a field test done by a biologist, testing Bear Bells in Alaska proved of no realized benefit. Data out of Glacier National park suggest that bears only charged those not wearing bells (not sure how that was proven). As it stands, Bells seem to be a 50/50 chance at best. Other collected data suggests that the most efficient deterrent is Bear Spray, if self defense is ultimately needed. Not to say that a firearm is a bad choice, but the key is: if you do not kill it with the first or second shot, you probably will be. The best defense is to make noise, let them know you are there and be aware of your surroundings when in Bear Country. Don't be walking around with headphones on grooving to some tunes, or texting your photo in the wilderness to your friends with the bear in the background!:confused:
it is always better to have tools that you don't need than needing a tool you don't have......We see a fair number of bear, I am not afraid of them either........My grandmother used to chase them off the back porch of church camp with a broom.....but there is nothing wrong with being prepared.

I love my 629 and it is really effective for small game with shot shells......but for a carry gun, how cool would a 25 ounce 44 magnum be?
Shot an S&W Scandium 1911, it's a bit more snappy than a steel one. Don't even want to know what a lightweight 44 would be like; probably similar to my 460V which weighs lots more! I like my 629 Deluxe 3", it still weighs 2 1/2+ lbs. loaded. I'd rather carry the extra pound.

I live and work on the upper Skagit River. At work, I have seen cougar, bear, mountain goat, bobcat, and more deer than you can count. Thanks to F&G, we now also have elk tearing up crops and getting hit by cars. When I see a cub, I stay clear, not wanting to encounter a grouchy protective sow. In general, I agree that two legged varmints are a greater hazard.

Number one is to carry the piece that gives you confidence. You're better off with a .38 that is so much a part of you that it never misses, than a .500 S&W that you seldom use.

In general, I like revolvers for woods carry. They are very versatile and have no reliability issues over bullet shape and loadings. For personal defense in "civilization," I recognize the tactical superiority of a reliable auto. For dual use, the risk of two-legged predators being greater, I'll stick with the .45 auto I normally carry. It seldom takes many 230 grain JHPs to resolve most problems.

If you're getting it primarily for the woods, I'd say that except for the incredibly versatile .357, the caliber should start with "4" and it should throw heavy bullets. How much money are you willing to spend? How much weight do you want to carry? If you have $2,200 to spare, that 6.3" Dan Wesson 10mm would be fun. Just make sure it's something YOU enjoy carrying and shooting.

Shot an S&W Scandium 1911, it's a bit more snappy than a steel one. Don't even want to know what a lightweight 44 would be like; probably similar to my 460V which weighs lots more! I like my 629 Deluxe 3", it still weighs 2 1/2+ lbs. loaded. I'd rather carry the extra pound.
I love the 3 inch 44's, always lusted for a Lew Horton M29. Mine is a common 4". I find long barrel pistols silly to carry, might as well carry a rifle. It is even difficult to sit in a car with a 6" revolver in a holster. At the range or just for fun they are fine and the longer sighting radius is helpful, but I prefer my carry guns to be handy and portable.

Three inch is a really handy carry size. My first Charter Bulldog, back in the mid-1970's was a 3" gun.
Not having any of those pricey Lew Horton specials, I do have a 4" Mountain Gun. The .44 mag can be pretty snappy in that slender profile 4" barrel, but it's not a bad gun to carry in the field.

I don't know what a back "county"anything is. I own and have owned quite a few pistols and rifles but never even heard of a back county fire arm. What makes a good back county weapon?
Can it be a rifle or does it have to be a pistol?:p

legends.jpg

Well if we are going to talk favorite back country arm ...
Then my .54 Hawken copy does the trick for me.
80 grains of 2F and .530 round ball does wonders out to 100 yards ...:D
Although I have shot and hit targets out to 200 yards enough to know that it can be done.
Andy
DSC03377.jpg
DSC03376.jpg
DSC03375.jpg
DSC03374.jpg
DSC03373.jpg
Hawken.jpg

I used to carry a 3" Charter .44.. a lot, back in the day. Montana and.. other places. Handloaded with hard cast (by me) 320gr SWC's loaded very warm.
The bad thing about the .44 Special is that the standard 240's, especially out of a short barrel is they're probably going about 600fps. they truly suck.. and "hot" light factory loaded HP's are just a joke for the most part in that caliber they are so slow. They will not expand, especially out of a short barrel.

I think this lad could've used a good handgun instead of a cell phone while running for his life last month.. ouch.
Teen killed by bear during race texted his mother to say he was being chased

I used to carry a 3" Charter .44.. a lot, back in the day. Montana and.. other places. Handloaded with hard cast (by me) 320gr SWC's loaded very warm.
The bad thing about the .44 Special is that the standard 240's, especially out of a short barrel is they're probably going about 600fps. they truly suck.. and "hot" light factory loaded HP's are just a joke for the most part in that caliber they are so slow. They will not expand, especially out of a short barrel.

I think this lad could've used a good handgun instead of a cell phone while running for his life last month.. ouch.
Teen killed by bear during race texted his mother to say he was being chased
And the young camp counselor in Colorado that woke up with a bear chewing on his head last month.

One of my favorite stories about back country handguns is of course by Elmer Keith.
Seems there was a rash of man-eating black bears (the Indians were leaving their old and sick people out for them to eat and they developed a "taste" for human flesh) up in Canada so not being stupid, they went up there to have some easy fun.
Anyway, they're single-filing it through the deep thick woods and a scrawny 90 pounder decides it's dinner time and asses and elbows it towards the leader of the line.. who (not Keith)shoots it in the eye with his 255gr Keith slugged Webley .455.
The second guy in line buries his axe in its head as its momentum carries its already lifeless body into their midst.
cool hands

There was a woman here in an Idaho campground that was awakened by a bear chewing on her feet yesterday. Do you think she is looking for a pistol today?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top