JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all, I've been wanting to include a prepaid phone into the bags I've setup for our vehicles but have no experience with them. So, here I am appealing to the collective wisdom of my fellows.

Thoughts on a prepaid that I can buy and leave in a bag until needed? Do I need to have a monthly plan or can I just buy some minutes and use it whenever?

-d

Hi all, I've been wanting to include a prepaid phone into the bags I've setup for our vehicles but have no experience with them. So, here I am appealing to the collective wisdom of my fellows.

Thoughts on a prepaid that I can buy and leave in a bag until needed? Do I need to have a monthly plan or can I just buy some minutes and use it whenever?

-d

So I was in the same situation, my luck I could not find a non expiring pre-paid. IMHO, Virgin mobiles 90 day expiration is a safe bet. Plus when you run out, you can put more minutes on with your credit/debit card.

Really the only reason for prepaI'd is if you expect your phone to be tapped or traced. If that's the case it's probably already too much and they would have all if your ISP records. At some point Paranoia really is crazy. But if you do buy prepaid, do it somewhere you've never been, in cash, with no ID and no other purchase or transaction in the area to lead to it, or it doesn't do any good. Likewise, don't use it to call anybody you know and have called from your regular phone.

See, it sounds a little odd when you take it to logical conclusion.

Okay, so I was thinking more like a situation where you were caught in a snow storm... or you're out on a hike and fall and your phone gets busted... or if you had evac your work because of a fire or some such and you accidentally left your phone on your desk... you know stuff that falls short of TEOTWAWKT but would be nice to have a backup.

So, it seems the biggest issue is finding out what the expiration dates are after your purchase...

Decker, in that case, get any used cell phone from Goodwill that has a charger with it. Keep it charged up and turned off. Some phones need a SIM card to operate, but it doesn't have to be activated. Any cell phone that can power on can call 911- it's a safety feature that is built in. No need for pre-paid minutes. You won't be able to call home, but a 911 dispatcher could patch you through if it were a true emergency.

Decker, in that case, get any used cell phone from Goodwill that has a charger with it. Keep it charged up and turned off. Some phones need a SIM card to operate, but it doesn't have to be activated. Any cell phone that can power on can call 911- it's a safety feature that is built in. No need for pre-paid minutes. You won't be able to call home, but a 911 dispatcher could patch you through if it were a true emergency.

That's a very good advice. The phone companies have to allow 911 calls by law, no matter if the phone is active or not. A lot time ago, before everyone had a cell phone, I kept my old one in the car after my plan expired and I did not renew. I kept that phone just for 911 calls and have used it at least once for that purpose.

I know that T-mobile has a pre-paid card that lasts 1 year, but it is a $100 card. At least they did a couple of years ago.

Okay, so I was thinking more like a situation where you were caught in a snow storm... or you're out on a hike and fall and your phone gets busted... or if you had evac your work because of a fire or some such and you accidentally left your phone on your desk... you know stuff that falls short of TEOTWAWKT but would be nice to have a backup.

I ran into this problem personally just not a snow storm but a good few days turned bad by heavy rainfall & crazy wind, we hiked in about 12 miles up in the northern cascades we planned to camp for 2 days then hike back down and then take the forest service road another 6-7 miles back onto the highway. Well our camp got inundated with water and my phone was in my pants which I had taken off while sleeping, the tent got completely soaked and even our bags and gear got wet by about 4 am we decided to cut our losses and pack up and head down. I was prepared with rain gear but I didn't have a tarp or waterproof bags.

The hike down was miserable as the trail was getting washed out and it was still dark when we headed out...I fell numerous times and was soaked through under my poncho...No problem we got back to my truck loaded up and I had a change of clothes.. all toasty warm

Well only a mile later the hillside had completely washed down and huge trees had come down...there was no way we could get around it and DUMB me I didn't bring a chainsaw. I grabbed my phone to see if I could call someone and the phone was really wet and wouldn't come on... My friends phone was the same way... so we had to pack up again and hike down until we got to someones house... I wish I had a cheap or even old used phone with me in the truck.

Now in my GHB I keep one of my old phones and car charger, I charge it up periodically just in case..

I ran into this problem personally just not a snow storm but a good few days turned bad by heavy rainfall & crazy wind, we hiked in about 12 miles up in the northern cascades we planned to camp for 2 days then hike back down and then take the forest service road another 6-7 miles back onto the highway. Well our camp got inundated with water and my phone was in my pants which I had taken off while sleeping, the tent got completely soaked and even our bags and gear got wet by about 4 am we decided to cut our losses and pack up and head down. I was prepared with rain gear but I didn't have a tarp or waterproof bags.

The hike down was miserable as the trail was getting washed out and it was still dark when we headed out...I fell numerous times and was soaked through under my poncho...No problem we got back to my truck loaded up and I had a change of clothes.. all toasty warm

Well only a mile later the hillside had completely washed down and huge trees had come down...there was no way we could get around it and DUMB me I didn't bring a chainsaw. I grabbed my phone to see if I could call someone and the phone was really wet and wouldn't come on... My friends phone was the same way... so we had to pack up again and hike down until we got to someones house... I wish I had a cheap or even old used phone with me in the truck.

Now in my GHB I keep one of my old phones and car charger, I charge it up periodically just in case..

Okay, so MX, this is pretty much the type of thing I was trying to plan for. Sounds like a pretty rough night... yikes... I too had a trip turn sour and ended up with a trashed phone and nothing as a back up and while it obviously wasn't the end of the world it would have been helpful had the situation been an emergency.

Lowly Monk, I checked out the AAA website and didn't see anything about phones there... did you pick one up at a local store?

Fish, I poked around a bit for the Virgin-Mobile phones but like the AAA, nothing local. Suggestions?

-d

When hiking/camping I have a few small things in a waterproof box- the phone is one of those. Remote fob for the car door is another. Not to say it couldn't be crushed or lost, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Keeping the stuff I don't need for camping, but do need to reconnect with civilization seperate and safe is at least an ounce.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top